• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TECH TIP: QUICKDRIVE BELT INSTALL PROCEDURE.

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
B
Jan 4, 2008
Bend, Or.
Tips to install drive belt

A note of caution be very careful if attempting to install a belt without alignment studs as the belts don't stretch at all.

I highly recommend practicing this procedure at home with Beer if you take the Q.D. pulleys off and slightly chamfer all of the edges.

It makes reassembly much easier. The hard sharp corners that come from the factory make the job much more difficult even with the alignment studs and a real P.I.T.A.without them.

When removing or installing the Q.D belts try to move the pulleys as evenly as possible to avoid them binding.

Set the parking brake to remove the pulley retaining bolts.

Once you have removed the pulleys and belt it is very helpfull to debur the ends of both drive shafts and insides of the pulleys as shown in the pictures I painted the ends red with dye-chem to show the chamfered area better.

Before you start to reinstall the pulleys it helps to put an alignment marks to help orientate the top pulley with the splines.

After you screw in the alignment studs of your choice to put lower pulley and belt on.

Make sure to check the arrow on drive belt for correct direction then slightly engage the splines with the pulley
about 1/8"then carefully start the upper pulley on the alignment stud until it engages the splines once both are engaged you can work them on carefully.

Be sure that washers on the pulley bolts are installed with the crown up away from the pulley.Use blue Lock-Tite... I like to use the primer as it reduces the cure time.

image-1.jpg photo-1.jpg image-2.jpg photo.jpg image-4.jpg image-7.jpg image-6.jpg photo-3.jpg RED STUDS.jpg

Last edited:

bobgrmkpro

Premium Member
Feb 11, 2008
Bismarck, ND
www.wfadvisors.com
Thanks Big Ling for the great post and pictures. My Pro 163" has 650 miles now and the only thing I can say is during breakin the QD belt threw very small black spots on various areas near the belt that I just wiped off. For the last 550 miles the whole area is very clean. I love the sled and the entire QD system. The sled handles lighter than the 2012 model and that is also nice.

I

IEATSRT

Oct 20, 2012
Thanks for the write up. Anyone know the bolt torque specs for the pulleys?

I

IEATSRT

Oct 20, 2012
Thanks John. Once I bought new belt seen it came with install instructions and yes 30ft. lbs is correct.

B
Jan 4, 2008
Bend, Or.
Install Stud part numbers

Due to the redesign of the model year 14 Pro Jack-Shafts we now have developed a new install tool for this years sleds these are available as a set or single item

We currently manufacture two types of install tools; read the following descriptions to select the set best suited for your needs.

Weighting in at 50 grams, this lightweight hard anodized 7075 Aluminium set is perfect for putting in your pocket, backpack or tool bag for backcountry use. Of course they can be used in the shop as well.

Perfect for shop use, manufactured from 303 grade stainless steel, these tools are built for durability and repeated use. 200 grams for the set.

2014 Polaris Quick Drive Pulley Install Tools – 7075 Aircraft Grade Aluminum – 10mm – Order HF-S107

2014 Polaris Quick Drive Pulley Install Tools – Stainless Steel – 10mm – Order HF-S106

2013 Polaris Quick Drive Pulley Install Tools Hard anodized 7075 Aircraft Grade Aluminum – 10mm – Order HF-S103

2013 Polaris Quick Drive Pulley Install Tools – Stainless Steel – 10mm – Order HF-S101

2006 to 2010 Polaris Quick Drive Pulley Install Tools - Stainless Steel – 3/8 SAE thread – Order HF-S102[/B][/B]

For those who changed out their drive shaft to an ’06 to ’10 model year shaft that had a standard (SAE) thread bolt hole rather than a metric thread, this set is for you. They are only available in stainless steel.

Last edited:
P

powerfuldodge

Jan 30, 2011
Fort Mcmurray
Installing new belt

I'm installing a new quick drive belt and I have the install tools but it not that easy . Is there any tricks and just muscle it all in place .

Powerfuldodge@me.com
2013 pro rmk
2012 136" switchback turbo
2006 660 switchback
2014 dodge ram 3500 Longhorn

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
FCR,

I've seen people put them on without... I've done it myself.

I've also seen very qualified sled mechanics struggle in the field without the tools ... for over an hour at times.

IMO...They are a necessary tool to have, plus less risk to damage the belt.

Everybody has their own way... but I feel these tools are as necessary as a spark plug wrench in your field kit if you have a Quick drive.

I run the chaindrive... but keep the aluminum versions for the 13 & 14 in my field kit for those people I ride with/see that have the QD.

Can it be put on without.... absolutely... are the proper tools faster/better... IMO, yes.
Can you damage a QD belt from improper installation... yes.

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
FCR,

I've seen people put them on without... I've done it myself.

I've also seen very qualified sled mechanics struggle in the field without the tools ... for over an hour at times.

IMO...They are a necessary tool to have, plus less risk to damage the belt.

Everybody has their own way... but I feel these tools are as necessary as a spark plug wrench in your field kit if you have a Quick drive.

I run the chaindrive... but keep the aluminum versions for the 13 & 14 in my field kit for those people I ride with/see that have the QD.

Can it be put on without.... absolutely... are the proper tools faster/better... IMO, yes.
Can you damage a QD belt from improper installation... yes.

Respectfully,
I completely disagree.

To say these tools are as necessary as the spark plug wrench is pretty accurate actually, I haven't used one of those in the field on a stock sled since 2012.:face-icon-small-win

If people are damaging a QD belt removing or installing it with or without these tools they are seriously going about it WAYYYY wrong.

IMO This seems like making a big deal out of nothing, just product advertising for "alignment studs."

I hope threads like these don't scare people into spending money on unnecessary products under the false pretense they are required. There was so much hype about these in the beginning I was under the impression you needed them to do the job.

These tools are not required to change a QD belt.

Nothing against the OP or the product. I'm not arguing that they may make the process EASIER, kudos for that part.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Just bought a set of the alignment tools- and yes it is easier- and Yes better- and not as much frustration.. Need them no... just less time cussing them on with alignment tools

Testing them out on the new sled to become familiar- and just deburred the edges of the splines ( that is a blessing 4 sure) Thank you:present:

Just as a note though the new directions I have show that came with the belt 42 ft.lbs of torque- so splitting hairs but that is what I got and the printed date is 6/13- P/N 9924748 Rev 01
My Belt part # 2205250- and states to leave in box till time of installation- but no can do- this is my spare and going in the tunnel bag.

So can a Gates belt be used instead of the $160.00 Polaris one?

S/C

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
I can safely say the number 1 thing to do after spinning one of these belts is to completely clean the pulley grooves. if you dont scrape each groove you take a chance of spinning the new belt and destroying it as well. I carry a small tool for leatherwork that is used to punch holes. Its the same size as the grooves in the pulley and cleans them 100%.

Premium Features