• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Proclimb steering slop

R

rcaustin

Sep 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Anybody else have a ton of steering slop in there machines? Mine has a ton of play in the bars - has somebody made a fix for this yet?

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
...and after z broz post install a fellow snowester gave me a great tip. Grind a hair off of the black collar that the lower steering post floats in. This makes it narrower and gets rid of additional slop.

R

rcaustin

Sep 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
so the zbros lower steering post is the one that helps with the play in the steering? And then you say to grind a hair off the flat surface of the back clamp to make it a bit narrower?

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
What about with using the existing Cat post, what can be done to reduce the slop?

Thx

as already stated above..."Grind a hair off of the black collar that the lower steering post floats in. This makes it narrower and gets rid of additional slop"

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
Like many others, I had a ridiculous amount of steering slop after last season. Here is what I have found/done so far:

1. The nut securing the bottom of the lower steering post was loose. Remove right side rubber boot and tighten nut to 43 ft-lb.

2. The plastic bushing securing the top of the lower post was worn. Remove bushing and file down flat areas until bushing is tight on post again.

3. Replaced adjustable steering post with Z-Bros -1" post.

After doing these three things all side to side slop in my steering has been completely eliminated and is much improved.

I do however still have some vertical slop, I can grab one end of the handlebars and pull up or push down and rock the bars up and down. This is caused by the two piece plastic bushing being loose in the steering support bracket. Not sure of a good fix here, I have replaced the bushings and the new ones are no better. My ghetto fix was to apply some tape to the outside of the bushing to make it fit tighter in the steering support but I would like a true fix. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

C

chuff26

Dec 3, 2011
I posted this in another thread. I did away with the adjustable bars, just cut off the old post and welded it up like a traditional T, but it would work stock too.

For the slop issue I used a stock clamp/bushing like is on the lower post, and used a bit of galvanized electrical conduit to get the shaft from 1 1/8 to 1 1/4.

There's absolutely zero slop, and works good. The conduit I cut in half to "wrap" the post it can't fall out or anything, and bolted the clamp to a bit of aluminum angle that's bolted down.

I'd get a better pic but the sled's at the dealer getting updates done, maybe give you some ideas.

20121023_225732.jpg

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
The lower z broz post designed for sharper turning radius did not improve the massive slop in my steering.

The upper z broz post did eliminate the slop except fot the wiggle in the black collar which is at the top of the lower steering post.

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
I posted this in another thread. I did away with the adjustable bars, just cut off the old post and welded it up like a traditional T, but it would work stock too.

For the slop issue I used a stock clamp/bushing like is on the lower post, and used a bit of galvanized electrical conduit to get the shaft from 1 1/8 to 1 1/4.

There's absolutely zero slop, and works good. The conduit I cut in half to "wrap" the post it can't fall out or anything, and bolted the clamp to a bit of aluminum angle that's bolted down.

I'd get a better pic but the sled's at the dealer getting updates done, maybe give you some ideas.

I like your fix but my new ZBros upper post doesn't have enought room between the top of the steering support and the bottom of the T-top to allow a collar to be added.

G

gjp

Oct 29, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Can someone posts pics of the fix you did on the Cat post?

Thx
Found the picture of the coupler ground down 1/8" to help with steering slop:
http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forum...bulkheads.html

attachment.php

W

wildchild

Jul 4, 2001
lumby
I been working on steering bushing kit for the proclimb, I have finished up the top bushing and just about done the block on the secondary steering shaft.

I'll post some pictures of the adjustable post top bushing and you can see the difference from stock to one I'm building.

All bushings are machined out of high wearing plastic that is impregnated with Molybdenum.

The bushing for the secondary shaft I machined has about 4 times the surface contact the stock one does.

P1020660.jpg P1020652.jpg P1020645.jpg

GBrown

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
I been working on steering bushing kit for the proclimb, I have finished up the top bushing and just about done the block on the secondary steering shaft.

I'll post some pictures of the adjustable post top bushing and you can see the difference from stock to one I'm building.

All bushings are machined out of high wearing plastic that is impregnated with Molybdenum.

The bushing for the secondary shaft I machined has about 4 times the surface contact the stock one does.

That looks great, I would certainly be interested in one.

Last edited:
B
Oct 22, 2012
Upper zbroz steerng post

Got my upper post from zbroz to lower my bars too and it worked great. They have one now that is not on the website yet but uses the stock post and you just cut it off and put a new t top style billet block and whatever riser you want and it eliminates the crappy adjustable post section. Its lighter too and allows you to pick the ideal height for you and rock the block forward or back as you like.
I will try to post a pic asap.

Premium Features