• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Temp Control question

S

snowboatboy

Oct 22, 2011
Petersburg Ak.
nice link!

this is a topic that my buddies and I have been discussing here as well. being new to this snowbiking we'll be hoping for some good input. I'll be riding a cr500. that thermostat looks pretty sweet that you sent the link for.

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
That's looks like a nice little thermostat. I was curious about running one too... I'm going to run a trail tech temp gauge so I can know what I'm running for temps also...

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
This what we all use up here in NW Montana.... works great.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/754021-ktm-59435013044-oem-thermostat-cpl-70-degrees-04

IMAG0500.jpg

Last edited:
S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
That looks ideal... And easier on the wallet! Where does that plumb in at?

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
I'd like to run a housing like that to divert some coolant to flow around the throttle body of my bike, perhaps in some copper piping.. I haven't really thought too much about it, but I think it would help with any icing issues that might be occuring on powder days.

Anyone got some ideas to get some coolant to flow properly, in and out position of the coolant line ect..

Jon

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So this is my question ans forgive me for my mechanical ignorance. So I assume the way that works is that it closes the flow to the radiator but still keeps an open flow to the head
So that there is not any pressure build up.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
rapture

oops, just bought a used yam raptor thromostat off the net for $12, used them before, works, keeps my wr yam true blue, basiclly I'm cheap

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
So this is my question ans forgive me for my mechanical ignorance. So I assume the way that works is that it closes the flow to the radiator but still keeps an open flow to the head
So that there is not any pressure build up.

Yes it by passes the radiator but keeps the flow to the engine,,on my berg the radiators are full heat within 3 minutes at Idle runs a constant 162f according to my gauge in my voyager, the one in the pic has two outlets to each radiator the new ones only have one outlet and are about $30 for a berg same as some KTMs, the two stroke KTMs are diff again, still 3 ports though!just depends weather your radiators have a second hose, if not you will need some sort of tee fitting, thats the hard part!

Last edited:

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
what #

Yes it by passes the radiator but keeps the flow to the engine,,on my berg the radiators are full heat within 3 minutes at Idle runs a constant 162f according to my gauge in my voyager, the one in the pic has two outlets to each radiator the new ones only have one outlet and are about $30 for a berg same as some KTMs, the two stroke KTMs are diff again, still 3 ports though!just depends weather your radiators have a second hose, if not you will need some sort of tee fitting, thats the hard part!

Do you have a part # and like for the one u use? I just want one with the bypass and one outlet.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Do you have a part # and like for the one u use? I just want one with the bypass and one outlet.

the berg thermostat is spendy now because you have to buy the hoses with it when I bought I didnt but the berg one is a straight through design 3 pipe where the new KTM ones are also 3 pipe but 90 degree piping still come with the hose part # berg 81235023000 or 81235013144 you still need a tee fitting , since I had no extra fitting on my radiator I had to make my own tee fitting,, I used two 5/8 barb fitting and silver soldered the ends together then drilled the center and silver soldered a 3/8 barb in that, looked good when it was done, on a normal radiator water comes off the head and goes to the thermostat housing then by basses the stat back to the return of the radiator as the water warms up the tstat opens and water then goes through the radiator and since the bypass line is considerably smaller water will always take the path of least resistance it goes through the radiator, once the tstat is open it most likley will modulate from full open till half keeping the water temp at the tstat setting ,, at least it does in mine hope this all makes sence? I put my tee in the return line at the pump inlet since I didnt have a radiator fitting,so water comes off the head goes to the tstat out the by pass directly to the return of the pump, till it warms up

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Kawgrn, Can you hook me up with the thermostat info for my FE570 please? Did you try to just block off one of the radiators?

If you have an FE you already have a thermostat ..Mine was an FX converted to a 570 as posted earlier ,just about everything water cooled has a thermostat of some sort,search some microfisches for alternates I shure the ones from japan are way cheaper than euro ones

Last edited:
S
Jun 22, 2011
Since I already have one installed is it the same as the one that you purchased? Therefore I do not need to block off one radiator and it will stay warm and not run overly rich?

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Since I already have one installed is it the same as the one that you purchased? Therefore I do not need to block off one radiator and it will stay warm and not run overly rich?

yes its the same one, on the right side radiator on the bottom you should have 2 hoses comming out.one small one one large one,if so your good to go

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Can you tell me where you purchased this or do you have a part number. I am trying to figure out where this goes in the plumbing of the radiator. Has anyone installed a thermostats on a Yamaha yzf. I have a 2009 250f. It looks as though the line from the head goes into the left radiator without the cap. I would think the thermostat has to be placed somewhere after the pump though?

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
http://www.ktmpartsdirect.com/index.htm

I buy my KTM parts from here, they have all the parts fiches for all the years ,you can look up what you need, but I'm sure there is a KTM dealer near you! or there are many Yamaha stats, as someone posted earlier ,he found a stat for a raptor on Ebay

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
The thermostat you purchased from a raptor does it not have a bypass and have a green electrical plug that you don't use? Please see link?

Thats the termostat I used on my wr450. Since changed it as I originally thought the "t" at the top would fit my bike best, made it a straight through now and fits behind my tank better, but too much work, look for stright through for most bikes.

Premium Features