• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Factory kill switch dilemma

owenbstory

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2008
north east oregon
As far as I have seen this might be a new trick. Instead of using a rubber band or o-ring or just unhooking the darn thing! Last night while messing around on the sled I figured out that if you take the switch out of the housing, pop the bottom off and switch sides with each wires location it reverses the function of the switch so now when I pull up on the button the engine dies and when pushed down it is in run mode. :face-icon-small-coo I don't see myself accidently pulling the switch up while in a technical spot or in the trees. Thought someone else might like to know this little tid-bit.

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
Im going to relocate my killswitch and percent button down to either side of the bar clamp. Should keep them out of harms way and prevent accidental shutdowns...

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Nice idea, I still want it moved off the top of the handlebar to prevent breakage.

You can pull the switch out of the throttle block and use a strap from an XP to relocate it anywhere you want it on the bars.
The kill switch strap from an XP cost about 4 bucks and the Polaris Killswitch slides right in it.

Last edited:
J

jwentzer

Mar 16, 2010
Colorado
Remove

I did something similar to mine last night. I actually took it apart and just removed the kill switch itself. Taped the wire/soldered (put some dielectic grease on it prior to taping it up)end to the handle bars and reinstalled the end plate for the throttle assembly. Looks very clean. No worries on breaking it off when I roll the sled over to get it unstuck. I also relocated my PERC button. I moved it from behind brake handle/reservoir and installed it at the base where the handle bars meet the handle bar mount. I have it slightly tilted towards the rider so tree branches..etc won't snap it off.

FYI: I DO have a tether....thus the only reason I removed the kill switch. I don't recommend removing it unless you do have a tether or other immediate means of shutting the sled down.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
wholy sh*t its a damn kill switch! if you guys are that worried about it install a tether which you should have anyways and install a dirtbike style one you can purchase off dennis kirk and mount it where you cant hit it or f*cking break it.

$20!!!!!!!! how many hours have people wasted on this ****.

Holy ****, don't ya think alot of us already have a tether, but like having a kill switch also?

how many hours have people wasted on this ****. Alot less than we waste on this forum.:face-icon-small-win

EASY

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2009
Rocky Mountain House
wholy sh*t its a damn kill switch! if you guys are that worried about it install a tether which you should have anyways and install a dirtbike style one you can purchase off dennis kirk and mount it where you cant hit it or f*cking break it.

$20!!!!!!!! how many hours have people wasted on this ****.

If you don't like the thread, don't read it !!!! why come to a thread that is helping people with different ideas and start swearing or as you would say

wholy sh*t its a damn tether thread if ya don't like it, don't read it.

Last edited:
P
Jan 2, 2011
tether

2 thumbs up for Easy. This forum is great to learn what other people are doing & to get some ideas. If you dont like what you are reading then go away let the rest of us learn. :yo:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Yeah no kidding.. I know i sure like having to pull my tether everytime i want to turn my sled off. Like having the kill switch just hate its location. BTW i dont run a key

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
As far as I have seen this might be a new trick. Instead of using a rubber band or o-ring or just unhooking the darn thing! Last night while messing around on the sled I figured out that if you take the switch out of the housing, pop the bottom off and switch sides with each wires location it reverses the function of the switch so now when I pull up on the button the engine dies and when pushed down it is in run mode. :face-icon-small-coo I don't see myself accidently pulling the switch up while in a technical spot or in the trees. Thought someone else might like to know this little tid-bit.

How do you get the switch apart? I'm looking at my 2013 and looks like it slides, but I can not get it apart.

S
Sep 24, 2012
Edmonton
If it flips and ur under it, track comes around and hits ya in the head or shoulder track is still runnin. Should have shut off but u got it so it pulls up just an opinion

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Mine was tight too....pull harder or stick a small flat screwdriver in the back side (by the wires) and pry a little bit forward. It will slide out.

I pried and hammered and could not get it to move. I give up.

Last edited:

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
XP STRAP

This is what I did with mine. Pulled it out of the throttle block and bought a new XP kill Switch Strap. Cost $4

Moved it so that it sits in front of the bars just below the cross bar facing forward.

You can still quickly and easily kill it but it's out of the way of errant branches and my forearm.

2012-10-18_16-57-46_267.jpg

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
If it flips and ur under it, track comes around and hits ya in the head or shoulder track is still runnin. Should have shut off but u got it so it pulls up just an opinion

In the last 20 years I have had a sled upside down at least 50 times. The only time it ever shut down with the kill switch was on very hard spring snow. That is precisely why a tether switch is a far better safety system than a kill switch.

Premium Features