• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has a Long Rod Engine Upgrade?

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
So has anyone done the long rod upgrade to a pro 800 motor yet? Please tell us who's rod kit it is and if it was made by the actual seller or just sold by the installer.

I personally know of 3 engine builders who use and install this kind of upgrade. I have heard that one of the builders has a us manufactured rod and the others are using a china stamped rod. No I am not looking for a us to china quality argument since I know most all of us prefer the USA made products.

If you have had any long rod kit experience please advise which kit and what you are running for replacement pistons like stock, cast, or forged and what you did with the jug if you had it repaired or replaced.

I am looking for actually feed back from any one who has had any of the above mentioned upgrades done and how it has worked out to date with how many miles you have put on so far or how long ago you had it done. Also who did the work for you or indicate if you did this work yourself.

Please feel free to share you thoughts and opinions about your long rod kit. Last but not least I am not comparing any of the engine builders but this information is more about the upgrades & options and your expierence to date to evaluate the results. I would like this thread to stay away from the bickering between vendors and to see actually how many of these kits are being used to date.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
IndyDan for one...

He's got a post with some info halfway down this page or so.

XC6, thanks for the input and i have read the thread you referenced but I want to hear from the end use or a sled owner who has bought Indy Dans lomg rod jit and to see how it has worked to date.

I also know Brad at PAR offers a long rod kit but I have no clue if the kits are the same or how they are different?

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Ok. I cant remember without re-reading that post of his engines.... But i think he kind of released it late season, and not sure if any users had chimed in yet or not. If any SW users had even used one.

Definitly be interested in hearing such! All of Brads stuff sure seems to come highly liked, but again not sure ive read much of his BB/ longrods.

Pickin new engines is exciting as well as annoying! Its like finding a new girlfriend, ya wanna ride em all :). Atleast engines my cost ya less!

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I would like this thread to stay away from the bickering between vendors and to see actually how many of these kits are being used to date.

Good luck with that one. Hope it works for ya', lol.
But I am in the same boat as you and would like to know the same thing.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Ok. I cant remember without re-reading that post of his engines.... But i think he kind of released it late season, and not sure if any users had chimed in yet or not. If any SW users had even used one.

Definitly be interested in hearing such! All of Brads stuff sure seems to come highly liked, but again not sure ive read much of his BB/ longrods.

Pickin new engines is exciting as well as annoying! Its like finding a new girlfriend, ya wanna ride em all :). Atleast engines my cost ya less!

XC6, Yes here in MN the polaris dealer charges $6300 parts, labor, & sales tax to install a new poo short block.

It is crazy expensive to buy another engine that only has a 30 day warranty on a short block with the same defects. I am asking these questions since I am currently having a short block built with the long rods and I trust Indy Dan but he is much more expensive.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
XC6, Yes here in MN the polaris dealer charges $6300 parts, labor, & sales tax to install a new poo short block.

It is crazy expensive to buy another engine that only has a 30 day warranty on a short block with the same defects. I am asking these questions since I am currently having a short block built with the long rods and I trust Indy Dan but he is much more expensive.

Suprised you're going that route since you have first hand experience with the fix kit.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Suprised you're going that route since you have first hand experience with the fix kit.

DD, Yes I have been happy with the mtntk kit and it has proven to be reliable with excellent support from PMS. To be clear the motor I have being built right now has never had the fix it kit from mtntk.

To be honest last year I picked up a 08 D8 for my boy that had previously had the engine repaired after the common piston failure we have read about and discussed here on the IQ forum.

The engine repair was done by one of the guys here in MN and he is on this forum and he is good and knows his stuff. The jugs were done up and new measured to fit and were with in the correct piston to cylinder wall tolerance specs. as required to do a better job then the factory did.

Anyhow the sled has a PC5 with the the correct tune and orignal 08 map and head. On the first ride the sled ran well but at the end of the day on the way down the mountain on the trail the rod broke free from the piston and took out the jug and the case besides a throttle body and injector rail and or boss.

After spending time talking to Brad at PAR and Dan at Indy Spec. I was intrigued with the long rod options. So to make a long story short I bought a used 800 motor that was in running condition and it had the polaris 10 updates with the piston, jug, and head.

Obviously the engine ran when the sled was crashed but when we tore it down we found the same old piston story we have read here on the 4M. So I have bought some stock in the long rod design that is theory is supposively a better repair then the fix.

I like the theory of the long rod kit and it may be better in theory then the longer piston kit but obviously you can install the fix it kit with the motor in the sled. But you obviously have to remove the engine and disasemble the motor to install the long rod kit. Obviously this is not exactly a cost comparable situation by comparing the two options.

I have also heard that the long rod kits being sold may have two different lengths besides that they are made in two different country's. I feel like I am still gambling with these 800 polaris motors and I respect the fact that Mtntk, PAR, Indy Spec., and RTK care enough to support upgrades and changes to make these last longer and maybe even make them right?

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
Could someone explain why this kit is needed. Like RKT said the rods in the
M8 is ever worst than the Poo. But the M8s don't have problems. Please clear this up.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
what the m8 or any other motor out there has is irrelevant to the cfi-2 motor..it has to do with the combo of parts...poo motor is a small motor..both in sheer size and in amount of metal used.(polaris trying to make it as light as possible)..so you end up with a motor that is more prone to expansion/contraction then other motors, tie this in with worse cylinder cooling ability(small castings less material and physical size means smaller water jackets and on the pro with a big exhaust port and powervalves means not much coolant flow right around the exhaust side of the cylinder..meaning it expands/contracts more which distorts thecylinder out of round more then normal...which can scuff pistons..now along with this polaris opens the piston wall clearence to avoid scuffing pistons and all of a sudden you are seeing skirt loads that the piston and cylinder cant handle..so how do you lessen skirt loads if you cant tighten bore clearence enough?..easy way..and it does other things as well, is to lengthen the rod..this moves the piston up and away from the crank which lessens the load the crank puts on the skirts and BDC,,,but..it also changes how the motor breathes, since the longer rod slows down the piston at bdc and the time the piston resides around bdc...allowing more filling time for the air/fuel...its hard to visulize..on many race motors the builder will play with rod/stroke/bore and porting(both size/shape and flow rates) to make the best usable power for said engine use..and best longevity for intended use...thats one reason why you are seeing the long rod motors pop up..can you fix this motor in other ways? yes..and no... while it is possible I doubt you can make a silicon based piston ever last on a stock cast mono cylinder for any extended period of time(say 10000 miles in a sled), you can change to aftermarket cylinders which are beefier, better cooling then stock and most likely add life(such as carls 900 kit) or you can do what brad and dan are doing..long rod the motor(brad even adds aftermarket cylinders as well)...pick your poison....

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
what the m8 or any other motor out there has is irrelevant to the cfi-2 motor..it has to do with the combo of parts...poo motor is a small motor..both in sheer size and in amount of metal used.(polaris trying to make it as light as possible)..so you end up with a motor that is more prone to expansion/contraction then other motors, tie this in with worse cylinder cooling ability(small castings less material and physical size means smaller water jackets and on the pro with a big exhaust port and powervalves means not much coolant flow right around the exhaust side of the cylinder..meaning it expands/contracts more which distorts thecylinder out of round more then normal...which can scuff pistons..now along with this polaris opens the piston wall clearence to avoid scuffing pistons and all of a sudden you are seeing skirt loads that the piston and cylinder cant handle..so how do you lessen skirt loads if you cant tighten bore clearence enough?..easy way..and it does other things as well, is to lengthen the rod..this moves the piston up and away from the crank which lessens the load the crank puts on the skirts and BDC,,,but..it also changes how the motor breathes, since the longer rod slows down the piston at bdc and the time the piston resides around bdc...allowing more filling time for the air/fuel...its hard to visulize..on many race motors the builder will play with rod/stroke/bore and porting(both size/shape and flow rates) to make the best usable power for said engine use..and best longevity for intended use...thats one reason why you are seeing the long rod motors pop up..can you fix this motor in other ways? yes..and no... while it is possible I doubt you can make a silicon based piston ever last on a stock cast mono cylinder for any extended period of time(say 10000 miles in a sled), you can change to aftermarket cylinders which are beefier, better cooling then stock and most likely add life(such as carls 900 kit) or you can do what brad and dan are doing..long rod the motor(brad even adds aftermarket cylinders as well)...pick your poison....

AK, thanks for the play by play break down it adds much more definition to the theory of operation and why issues exist. I truly could not of said it any better or clear then you just did so thanks for the input.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
AK, thanks for the play by play break down it adds much more definition to the theory of operation and why issues exist. I truly could not of said it any better or clear then you just did so thanks for the input.
thanks r44...pretty complicated stuff for an average sledder wrench to get a hold of..but that is the basics of it..I spent 2 weeks one time welding and grinding on a set of big block chevy heads just to prove a point about port volume/vrs flow...and that bigger wasnt always better..I wish the cure was as easy as throwing in a different piston..its not..now someone might get lucky and have the perfect size piston for the cylinder or get a rider that really doesnt push the motor hard enough to ever get close to scuffing it..but the average rider is going to kill a simple piston job...where I ride I can literally ride for hrs just taped..when we get a good dump(pulling a loaded sled cross country no less)things have to be right to make it live..now this new 13 cylinder..who knows..just that extra meat on the skirt maybe just enough to calm these motors down..hard to say till they get some time on them(my own guess...the ofset polaris has added onto the new cylinder is both a slight increase in material around the intake skirt, and a very slight shift in the cylinders location over the crank axis, which maybe enough to allow these motors to live....) only time will tell...I still think the best way to make one live is turn up the oiler to burn a qt per tank, then add a pint to every 10 gal of gas. and warm the motor up every time you shut it off...that does the most for keeping things comfy inside the motor...

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I still think the best way to make one live is turn up the oiler to burn a qt per tank, then add a pint to every 10 gal of gas. and warm the motor up every time you shut it off...that does the most for keeping things comfy inside the motor...

It'd be interesting to know how many people who experienced engine failures with the 800, followed your above suggestion religiously???

I owned a predecessor to this engine in an '05 Edge - An engine that many will remember for it's crankshaft failures..............By performing proper engine warm -ups, primary clutch maintenance, & seasonal run-out checks, I was lucky enough to not loose a crank.............This same routine was suggested by many others on this forum including Indy Dan..............

I'm sure that all of the proper warm up & adequate lubrication in the world would not have saved many of the 800s that went down last year & the year before, but I'm betting there would be a good handfull still running with their original parts had they followed your simple advice.............

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
I think warm up is critical to these motors. I had an 07 700 dragon that had over 5000 miles before I took it apart and replaced stuff. My 11 pro has over 3500 miles on it now and still is strong as the day I got it. I always let it warm up fully before taking off. I put a PAR head on it last year. But I have been worried that its going to pop. I have been saving to go with a long rod motor when this happens.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I would like to hear how the builders are counteracting the effects a long rod motor has on power delivery? Clutching, porting? Let's hear it.
actually. a long rod motor normally makes noticable more power as long as the porting(stock or modded) can handle the rod ratio change..might be why Dan is having a friendly little competition with his motor giveaway...

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
heres a article that explains more about rod ratios..this is about automotive race engines..but it works on all internal combustion engines..
http://www.chevytech.com/2c27o1.html

now..before everyone runs out wanting to double the rod length in their sled motor...everything about an engine..is a balancing act..gain here...loose there...so...it takes some very thoughtful engineering to figure out what is best(that means you buy/build some custom stuff..put it togeather..test it..and maybe throw it away because its not quite what it needs to be and you start over again...and repeat..till you find what works...)with that said...with everything else being the same....adding rod length..will normally raise peak rpm where power is made..will forfeit some bottom end torque/power..but make quite a bit more top end power and normally make for a smoother/quicker rpming motor...just the nature of the beast when a longer rod motor is built..hence the reason everyone who has seen what indy dan and brads long rod motors are making for power are wanting one....hopefully they will get on here and elaborate about the specific results they are seeing on the pro motors....

V

Vfrtrader

Aug 25, 2009
Cache Valley, UT
More questions

Thanks AK for the answers, therefore, putting a tighter piston in without doing anything else would be a bomb waiting to go off, right? Would "the fix" which rises the cylinders be similar to the rod kit for helping the stress on the skirts? What temp do you like to see before opening her up? Thanks for the help. :yo:

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Thanks AK for the answers, therefore, putting a tighter piston in without doing anything else would be a bomb waiting to go off, right? Would "the fix" which rises the cylinders be similar to the rod kit for helping the stress on the skirts? What temp do you like to see before opening her up? Thanks for the help. :yo:
yes and no on just pistons..if somebody can build a piston that they can control its expansion on, combined with what its expansion and the cylinders is..more then likely they can produce a piston tight enough to live with out scuffing...and yes...in a way mnt tek's kit is helping with the sideloads..not as effective as a longer rod and you wont see the enhanced breathing/power/smoothness as much as you will with a longer rod..but it does help..which is why so many guys have run them on the dragons(the dragons run same basic motor, just more fuel injectors,) with such good luck..odd some of those producing parts for the pro wouldnt touch the dragon.......mechanical parts should benifit both motors......as for temps before pinning it..I try not to take off till its over 100..then try to keep it under 1/2 throttle(like a mod sled..off/on/off on the gas)until its at 120 then pin it..still try to burp the throttle on long climbs when ever I can as well(closed full throttle does load the motor with fuel/ cooling the piston)...

Last edited:

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
How much longer of a rod are we talking here?

Why doesn't the piston hit the head with the longer rod?

Premium Features