• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fix this fix that ?

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Its funny how everyone is fixing how something works when maybe that is whats not broke. It just seems everyone is always blaming that something is not just right with their sled.

New steering fix or new location bracket do not get me wrong I as most of you will agree that the manufactures do not get it right.

My thing is that I wonder if we, I, you spent as much time on us and our riding abilities as we did our sled issues maybe we would have no sled issues we would be good enough riders that we could adjust us and not the sled?

Just a thought.

Now with that said there is nothing better than I fine tuned light weight sled set up just they way you like it. I will be the first to tell my buddies that I hate there sled or there set up make recommendations and move on but we all have our own set up we like.

My point is how many of you work on you for the riding season? I have been working on getting in shape for a month now Running, jogging ect. I did cross fit last year and liked it . I have found I need a lot more work than my sled every year. I not only try and get in shape so when I can start riding I can ride but when I am riding I am always pushing myself getting out of my comfort zone learning pushing and trying new things. So my challenge to all of you sled tinkers and tweakers do not forget about fine tuning the operator .

Take care and see you on the snow.

hd4rob

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2010
Lake Park, MN
But it's so much easier to buy mod parts. Totally agree with though, especially for the midwesterners, get your lung capacity up. Way easier to transition altitude if you can breath. And like said above, you'll be able to push your limits and comfort zone if your in shape to keep yourself on that "edge".
Great thread

offroadmatt

Lifetime Membership
Feb 16, 2008
Sweetwater, CO
I can't wait to see how the 25lbs I lost this year plus being in much better shape will help. However I love to tinker!!!

L

leeindubois

Nov 20, 2007
Dubois, Wyoming
true

So true! Guys can put as much time as they want and parts into their sled but they are only as good as they can push themselves. Its all about the rider!

S
Dec 31, 2010
Good post. Waaaaaaaaaaaay too many guys bragging about light weight this and light weight that, fix this, fix that, bad suspension, wont sidehill. cant go around trees, But are so out of breath and 50 pounds overweight....... at a hundred dollars a pound for serious weight loss on a sled....... lots of money. I know for a fact i saved $3000 and still have same sled. Just saying

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
I did not say that.

So your telling me you have done nothing to improve your sled then Kevin?
Now with that said there is nothing better than I fine tuned light weight sled set up just they way you like it. I will be the first to tell my buddies that I hate there sled or there set up make recommendations and move on but we all have our own set up we like.

What I said is I always work on both but not just one. It is more important to make sure the operator is running as good or better than the sled.

MY ride this year

185019_4617473484378_441815916_n.jpg

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Weren't you the one telling me what a pos the proclimb was at haydays in september of 2011 without even riding it yet? Just saying its funny how much better a sled is when their is a financial gain to be had.

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
My ProClimb, with all its sins is still more capable than this low lung capacity flatlander.

Thinking back to my early days decades ago, find it still hard to believe that one can shut off the fabulous EFI equipped sled in the middle of nowhere and not even have a second thought about the sled not starting in the first little pull of the rope.

Life and the snow season are too short to whine about sleds. Going to pull the rope and enjoy being on outdoor adventures with friends and my dad.

That, and I'd have to wash my hands after riding a Poo. Icky on so many levels. :face-icon-small-coo

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I can honestly say.
The PC will not meet the limits I push to without tweaking, I am even trying to design a way to go beyond those limits. Yes being in better shape helps a lot and is necessary to find the limits of any sled.

I don't see how you can come out and say why tweak it though, its just the process. The truth is I thought I was not that good, and kept pushing and pushing. Then I got a real sled and set it up kinda like the guys that set the mark and realized its a new deal, and really it was the sled holding me back not my skill level.

So IMO, until you hit the peak limits of a stock sled, its about the rider. After that its all about the sled. You cannot do some things on a straight up stock sled. Also it is more dangerous in some cases to do some of those things on a stocker then a mod sled.

To me they are one in the same. But one does come before the other.

For instance, you can take a decent rider and push them on a stocker for a few days, then put them on a mod sled for a few days, then go back to the stocker and they will have stepped up a whole level of riding skill. So to be the best rider it is of huge advantage to know both sides.

The truth, when the new sled wont do things the old sled would, I SAY IT NEEDS FIXED, the other stuff falls into the mod category.

Last edited:

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
umm. no

Might have made the statement that they went in the wrong direction but never said no would make a statement like that with out fist hand knowledge.

Weren't you the one telling me what a pos the proclimb was at haydays in september of 2011 without even riding it yet? Just saying its funny how much better a sled is when their is a financial gain to be had.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I did not say not to tweak. The whole point was to not just work on the sled. Work on the operators also. Sorry you missed it.

Missed it! Maybe you should not be so general.

The title is fix this fix that, not mod this or that, or tweak this or that. Or what I would say.

Like I said, the things that need fixed are things that where better on the M-series, the rest is for modding.
So, FIX
1. Width
2. Clutching
3. Weight
4. Steering
5. skis
the rest can be seen as an upgrade and mod from there.

Your statement
"Its funny how everyone is fixing how something works when maybe that is whats not broke. It just seems everyone is always blaming that something is not just right with their sled.

New steering fix or new location bracket do not get me wrong I as most of you will agree that the manufactures do not get it right.

My thing is that I wonder if we, I, you spent as much time on us and our riding abilities as we did our sled issues maybe we would have no sled issues we would be good enough riders that we could adjust us and not the sled?"

Now it does say "everyone", so weather its what you meant or not I did take it literal for the most part, might want to start there when saying someone missed it.
Going back, these things that need "fixing" are because of ppl doing exactly what you stated, and most I never had issue with because I did ride it instead of blame it. i e "its to hard to steer" but instead of balancing the weight and changing the geometry of the suspension lets just reduce the steering radius, WTF!!!!!!! Yeah it needs fixed, and any rider that focuses on themselves and has a skill level above 90% would agree 100%.
I do clearly agree that some need to stop making excuses and just ride but I think some of us at least a few are beyond that.
So I definitely missed it,

Can you clarify it for me?

Last edited:

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
im telling ya this..

if im paying over 6 dollars a canadian gallon to put in my sled...

im sitting my fat *** down in my ezboy every chance i get...

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
No, I got your point... If you dont know how to ride dont blame the sled.
Quote from haydays 2011
"The old M was like a wedge going through the snow on a sidehill, the new one will not work with its huge spindles and you can clearly see this in the videos with Brett where the sled will not do what he wants it to."
I think you mentioned how it keep throwing you over the handle bars in a post early last year after you rode it.
I dont know about you but i dont consider new spindles and a-arms a tweak. Not to mention the other problems with it.
One more question I got after your comment about making a statement without first hand knowlege.
Did you have first hand experience with the supercharger you bashed in the tent next to the push turbo tent that you were working at that year?

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
My point is how many of you work on you for the riding season? I have been working on getting in shape for a month now Running, jogging ect. I did cross fit last year and liked it . I have found I need a lot more work than my sled every year..

fella;s..i find the post pretty darn focused on the intent of it here and i don;t find it offensive at all...jmo...and no need to stray..

anyway..no i don;t work on myself//lol//my lazy boy gets the workout with my fat arse

C

CatRpillar

Oct 9, 2011
Wild Rose Country
Broke both knees in 1978 and havent been able to run since. I kept reasonably in shape though until the last few years where two back operations left me with a bit of muscle loss in the left calf and about 80% loss in the right calf. Got riding again last year after seven years off. I love these stupid things. But there is just about no way I could find last year to ride without having my right leg in the stirrup to keep it stable. So turnouts and sidehilling are tough to say the least. The sled is way better than me but there are things I can do to make us as a combination work better. Lighter weight, better skis, sidehill kit from Nextech.

Was a big time ditch runner and loved wide and stable. These mtn sleds are tippy and tougher to control and I don't have the muscle control to finesse them, although I'm 6'5" and 250lbs.

Cat didn't design the sled for me so I'm just making it suit me better to work with my shortcomings. Plus this tinkering is just great mental exercise! I just want to see where I can go with this too. A bit hard on the wallet though! lol

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

For some reason you've just got a hardon for MMsports... but telling folks not to fix/ not to mod isn't exactly a post you do to make money.

Stop & think about it for a minute.

I also think the proclimb is a POS... but it's OUR POS, so I'm going to make it work for me.

Premium Features