• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rk Tek 860 big bore

D8rider

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Kamloops B.C.
Just wondering if anyone out there has tried rk tek 860 big bore? if so? did you notice big difference over stock? does it compare to slp stage 4 kit? any input would be great

S

SpokaneRMK

Oct 29, 2004
Spokane, WA
I ride with emily and have rode the 860 and it is no comparison to stock, it runs so good and just pulls and pulls, i would say it is comparable to a stage 4, maybe a little better. It is pull and go.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I would talk to chad at A2D sledworks..(anchorage), he had one on his for part of last season and can give you his results..........

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
it would be awesome if Emily would post her experiance (maybe she has?)

i think alot of people are interested in it being the cheapest big bore option i've heard of ($2,100 ish)
i remember reading the revue from alaska that it made some serious power but he could'nt get it to live for very long (still not really sure why)

my only experiance with RKT is a buddy ran thier 860 in a xp (race gas comp. 14.1 or 14.6 i can't remeber)
it was amazing i could not believe the stuff it would climb
(did i mention i hate that dude!:face-icon-small-ton)
needless to say there will be 3 or 4 more 860s around this year so i guess i'll see how they hold up
i can still out side hill them with my pro ! ha ha

and for you ski doo hard cores that 860 made the etec look like a 600

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i think alot of people are interested in it being the cheapest big bore option i've heard of ($2,100 ish)
i remember reading the revue from alaska that it made some serious power but he could'nt get it to live for very long (still not really sure why)

riding with the one that was in alaska many times, you get what you pay for...

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
Vida
so do you think the ski doo kits are more figured out ?
(because i thought people generally agreed they worked good ?)
thanks

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
Honestly have no idea. I don't have any experience with the ski do kit. I've only been around the Polaris kit. And only that one.

p v

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
Vida
so do you think the ski doo kits are more figured out ?
(because i thought people generally agreed they worked good ?)
thanks

Sorry to jump in but I think most of Kelsey's kits are very well figured out for altitude. I was on Dootalk for years and the only ones complaining about failures were the flatlanders. You need to go richer near sea level (INCL AK) and they simply didn't follow directions. RK Tek is in Preston, ID, not near sea level, so he tests mtn setups. Simple as that. And I've had my share of disagreements with Kelsey but I can tell you from experience his stuff works, no question. He can be abrasive but he knows his stuff. I'll leave it at that.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
cool i was just trying to figure it out i guess we will be able to see how
his kit holds up this season its in a price range that i think more folks can stomach like slp stage 3-4 or brad has something similar

i would love to have 900 kit pro from carls or brad but $6,000 is too much for me guess i'll spend money on dialing in clutching and hold out to see what time tells
thanks for the input and sorry D8 if i hyjacked your thread

D8rider

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Kamloops B.C.
No worries welfred777....I just wanted to see if the 860 is the way to go for tight tree riding and some hill climbs...I ride in bc 3 to 6 thousand ft so elevation is not really the issue..what I'm hoping that it's just pull the cord and go mod. I would love to have Brad's 910 bb but 6000 is just too much for me

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I was on Dootalk for years and the only ones complaining about failures were the flatlanders. You need to go richer near sea level (INCL AK) and they simply didn't follow directions.

You do need to run richer up here, but that wasn't the issue that brought down the motor. Theirs threads on here about the motor last year. It ran great when it ran. Do a search, and like previously stated, you get what you pay for.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
You do need to run richer up here, but that wasn't the issue that brought down the motor. Theirs threads on here about the motor last year. It ran great when it ran. Do a search, and like previously stated, you get what you pay for.
I looked at the pistons/cylinder out of that motor last week..I will vouche that it wasnt lean.....

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Well then if it was not lean, then maybe the cooling system on the Pro just could not keep up

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
chad's a pretty competent tuner. as said above, it wasn't a lean issue. and since we are now running fuel injection, in theory, it should take the same fuel adjustment regardless of elevation. in theory, but obviously there are variations to what actually happens in the real world.

pv

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
I looked at the pistons/cylinder out of that motor last week..I will vouche that it wasnt lean.....

Can you also vouch that the piston did not sieze or "go down" as previously stated? I have video of the piston, this piston could be ran without issue..

In fact, there was no failure, no seizure, no locking up...

There was a problem that caused a power loss but NO FAILURE... But a power loss came about..

The power loss was not related to the kit.

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
Can you also vouch that the piston did not sieze or "go down" as previously stated? I have video of the piston, this piston could be ran without issue..

In fact, there was no failure, no seizure, no locking up...

There was a problem that caused a power loss but NO FAILURE... But a power loss came about..

The power loss was not related to the kit.

What was the power loss related to?

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
Kelsey..this is between you and the owner..I just happened to be shown this stuff while I was providing a service to him...and was clarifying that it was not a fuel related failure........you are right..it wasnt a catastrophic failure..yet..but it would have been if he had kept running it...........

Last edited:
Premium Features