• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch life.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Only thing I've had to replace on a P85 clutch was the slide bushing in the clutch cover. Sled had ~3000 miles on it. Other than that never had a P85 failure. ~7000 miles total between 4 sleds.

I have gone through 3 cat primary's though. All three failed before 1500 miles.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
2011 failed and was warrantied at 1200 miles.

For clarification, failure was a result of a broken primary spring which caused wear. Nothing like broken spider or rollers. Definitely much better clutches than the cat.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
1500 with no issues. I did replace the spring at about 1000 for good measure and tried a blue/pink SLP.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Just trying to put together a parts in the shop order for a season. So 2000 miles shouldn't need a thing with good maintenance?

I've had good luck with Cat clutches. Just try to start the season with round rollers and install a 911 cover.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
You guys with tons of miles probably have more wear than you realize. For years I have noticed that the weights wear into the side of the clutch at the mounting bolt. Once there is enough wear, I grind the surface flat again and then install Arctic Cat shims with the weights.

I also replace my weight bushings at least once a year, as they wear and will cause the weight to wear into the spider. This is hard to see, but it can be very bad w/o regular service.

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Good advice right there. Practice the same thing myself.
George, the spider roller kit, a cover bushing (if you don't end up with the 911) and weight bushings is about all you should need to stock. The Comet/Cat & Yamaha weight shims come in handy if you don't stay on top of the weight bushings. You can pick up a weight bushing tool from SLP for cheap or make one if you have a lathe.
Summer maint for me is just swap out the spider rollers regardless of wear.

You guys with tons of miles probably have more wear than you realize. For years I have noticed that the weights wear into the side of the clutch at the mounting bolt. Once there is enough wear, I grind the surface flat again and then install Arctic Cat shims with the weights.

I also replace my weight bushings at least once a year, as they wear and will cause the weight to wear into the spider. This is hard to see, but it can be very bad w/o regular service.

Last edited:
O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon

I probably service between 20 and 30 clutches a year. Many have never been pulled and inspected and are close to being shot. A clean clutch pulled and inspected every 400 miles will last a long time. As stated above keep a eye on the weight bushings in a P85. Blow out the clutch with compressed air between rides. Keep chemicals like brakekleen, acetone etc. away from the clutch's. These chemicals dissolve oils and then the oils end up in the pores of the sheaves. Hot soapy water in the kitchen sink will keep them working a long time. You do need to watch for stress/heat cracks radiating from the hub outward. The spider buttons last a very long time, and has been stated above watch the cover bushing for wear. The best way to be sure the primary is working smoothly, is to take off the cover remove the spring and move the movable sheave in and out and check for any binding. A lot can be learned about your primary’s health by having it on a bench.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Im with ya.
I have mine service and cleaned about every 500 miles. It depends on how hard you are on your clutches, how often you should service them. But no the less it should be done in consistant intervals. (that does not mean once a yr. LOL)
The longer periods of time your clutch is heat stress the more, and sooner your will need to service and replace parts and pieces.
If your a trial rider you will not be putting the strain on your clutchs, as if you spend 80% of your time off trail and in deep snow with hard pulling all day..

Jusy my two penny's

P

pura vida

Nov 26, 2007
i go through at least one clutch a year. i blow out my clutches with compressed air after every ride (unless it's an over nighter and it never comes of the sled deck) and pull it completely down every 3-4 rides. by the end of the season it is always in need of a complete overhaul. and imo, the p85s don't respond well to being rebuilt. it is a PITA even with the correct tools and rebuilds never seem to last as long for me. i consider primary clutches to be disposable items and replace my yearly. also, imo, the quality of the p85 has dropped some over the last few years. they seem to go out more now than on previous sleds. the questions still remains if that is due to the higher performance sleds or lower quality clutches? or both? i feel a main contributor to both belt and clutch wear/failure is the motor moves around too much. really think if the more was more solidly planted (is that even a term???) then we would see less of these issues. (think of how many miles and the HP that are being thrown at yamaha clutches and belts. they sure don't seem to have the issue. hmmmm.....) i think the PMS plate could be pretty slick but it is pretty spending considering it is still a bit of an unknown.

pv

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
I probably service between 20 and 30 clutches a year. Many have never been pulled and inspected and are close to being shot. A clean clutch pulled and inspected every 400 miles will last a long time. As stated above keep a eye on the weight bushings in a P85. Blow out the clutch with compressed air between rides. Keep chemicals like brakekleen, acetone etc. away from the clutch's. These chemicals dissolve oils and then the oils end up in the pores of the sheaves. Hot soapy water in the kitchen sink will keep them working a long time. You do need to watch for stress/heat cracks radiating from the hub outward. The spider buttons last a very long time, and has been stated above watch the cover bushing for wear. The best way to be sure the primary is working smoothly, is to take off the cover remove the spring and move the movable sheave in and out and check for any binding. A lot can be learned about your primary’s health by having it on a bench.

20-30 a year! Ya gotta quit working on them claimers. It's gonna shorten your lifespan, pal. :wave:

Good info. Thanx.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Thanx. I figured as much.

Ignorance can be bliss lol but I'm used to once a week complete clean (3 to 5 rides). Sometimes during the best months (yehaw) it's almost daily. Still have a drawer of shims from TRA's, Yamaha, and Comets too lol.
Good maintenance always pays off in performance and component life.

The Cat clutch is not that bad if good from new but,,,. Wrong forum though lol.

Do you guys that do the maintenance, I know I shouldn't ask lol, do you have a favourite spray for the rollers?

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon

20-30 a year! Ya gotta quit working on them claimers. It's gonna shorten your lifespan, pal. :wave:

Good info. Thanx.

Hey there Z! Yup about 80% are P85’s the rest are usually TRA’s or Cat clutches, and that doesn’t count my riding buddies clutches or mine. The TRA’s often are a pile of springs and buttons in the bottom of the pan! LOL

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO

Yeah I guess I put maintenance and failure into separate categories. I meant just a catastrophic failure that left me stranded in the backcountry. Had many on Cat clutches, but never on a P85 (ie spider break, etc). I did have to replace the rollers, weights, & spring on the P85 I put 3000 miles on. Have always seen those as wear items on any sled clutch. Always tear the clutch down after every season to go through everything.

I clean and blow out my clutches with compressed air after every ride now. I've seen the longevity of certain clutch parts go way up.

Premium Features