• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Enclosed Aluminum trailers ----Good / Bad ?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I’ve starting looking into aluminum framed inline enclosed trailers and was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on any certain brands, good and bad. I know Aluma, Legend and Triton are probably some of the best brands but honestly I don’t have to have the “best”. I just want to get into a good trailer that won’t break the bank. After all, it’s a giant empty aluminum box or I guess you could say a giant sled cover. My plan is to use it for a few trips out west every year when it’s my turn to drive and obviously for around home. Along with that a possible summer trip with some bikes once a year.

I’m leaning towards a 7 X 29 or 7 X 31, and I’m not sure on whether or not to go tandem or triple axel.

I started a thread earlier on Stealth trailers and got some pretty good info and I have looked through several other threads but keep coming up a little short. I guess I’m just looking for any and all thoughts, suggestions and or general experiences with any of the following aluminum trailers.

I would think there has to be others out there having some of the same questions, so please post up your experiences, good and bad.

Aluma
Legend
Triton
Stealth
Look
MTI
Becker
Rance
Lighting
Nashcar

Any others worth mentioning ?????

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Get side vents, the translucent roof vents get brittle from UV exposure.

If you ever want to use it for UTV, get extra tall.

Fuel doors on drivers side.

7x27 will fit 4 longtracks. 31' would be sweet, but sometimes the length sucks at the turn arounds.
That being said....I would like to go 31' so 5 would fit easy.

I' go with triples. If you are in a pinch with a flat, just pull the wheel & keep rolling.

Do the insulating yourself, that way you know it's a job well done.

Advice: It may be wasteful to spend to much, but it's far worse to spend too little.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Top of the line in my book is the Featherlite. I won't buy anything less, and you get what you pay for. Not sure why you are leaning towards the skinny inline style, my preference is the 8 1/2' wide. You will never know you are towing a trailer. Dual torsion axles are fine, you probably never have it loaded enough to benefit from triples. The bonded wall Panels will staying looking better than the cheaper riveted wall panels after some heat cycling the riveted wall panels look like the trailer has been rolled. Have fun shopping!

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Put the walk thru door in the center of the box. Fuel doors are a waste of time as they are never in the right place and the hoses on the Modern Type Gas Pumps aren't long enough to reach around in the trailer >>>>.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
I have a 2001 4 place Triton Prestige enclosed that has held up great. The only trouble I had was with the bias ply tires that came from the factory, new radials fixed that.

Other than that it has been basic maintenance and wear/tear - nothing I would blame on Triton, it has been a great trailer.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Put the walk thru door in the center of the box. Fuel doors are a waste of time as they are never in the right place and the hoses on the Modern Type Gas Pumps aren't long enough to reach around in the trailer >>>>.

Good point!

I have more than 10000 miles on my 1999 Featherlite! Hard miles too, bought in Washington and live in Alaska has made the trip a few times. I have even cleared air with it fully loaded numerous times on unseen frost heaves at speed. Once on the way to Arctic Man cleared enough air with both the truck and trailer to never touch the Sourdough Bridge which is about a hundred feet! Still looks like the day I bought it, twenty two years later! It Out lived the truck. On the third set of tires and needing the fourth for next year.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Yep I like the walk thru door in the center of the box so when I climb in I'm equal distance from the front or back. Fuel doors== self explanatory >>>>.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Good point!

I have more than 10000 miles on my 1999 Featherlite! Hard miles too, bought in Washington and live in Alaska has made the trip a few times. I have even cleared air with it fully loaded numerous times on unseen frost heaves at speed. Once on the way to Arctic Man cleared enough air with both the truck and trailer to never touch the Sourdough Bridge which is about a hundred feet! Still looks like the day I bought it, twenty two years later! It Out lived the truck. On the third set of tires and needing the fourth for next year.

Don't let Uncle Jesse catch you or Luke driving like that!

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I bought a NashCar trailer last spring. It is a very well built trailer. I have no complaints. It got about 8k miles on it this past year. Just a FYI on Becker trailers they just peel the manufacturer decals off and put theirs on. I bought my trailer at Beckers it had Becker stickers on it and its a NashCar. I found Chris Nash (owner of Nashcar) at Haydays and had a long talk with him. Very good guy. He sent me the decals that should have been on the trailer after I peeled the becker ones off. If you make the long drive from ND to Beckers watch out for Brett the salesman. He cannot be trusted!

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Good to know!!!

I bought a NashCar trailer last spring. It is a very well built trailer. I have no complaints. It got about 8k miles on it this past year. Just a FYI on Becker trailers they just peel the manufacturer decals off and put theirs on. I bought my trailer at Beckers it had Becker stickers on it and its a NashCar. I found Chris Nash (owner of Nashcar) at Haydays and had a long talk with him. Very good guy. He sent me the decals that should have been on the trailer after I peeled the becker ones off. If you make the long drive from ND to Beckers watch out for Brett the salesman. He cannot be trusted!

O
Oct 26, 2012
Orygun
www.bci.us
I know this thread is semi old but does anyone know who and how to contact NashCar? I know Becker Trailers is still "re-branding" them, I'd prefer to go straight to the manufacture, please let me know in a PM! Thanks everyone!

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
I got a Becker trailer last yr.it is a re branded NEO trailer.
I think it is a great trailer and was a great price.
I think Becker is a great dealer with more than fair pricing.

jhubs

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Stealth trailer

I ve had an enclosed stealth trailer for about 3 years. I looked at a lot of trailers and found the stealth predator series was about $2000 cheaper than other brands with similar features. It has been a great trailer. It is a 7' wide tandem axle and pulls like a dream. There is a dealer in Mandan, nd, check bismanonline.com for his info, he's sold trailers for a long time and shoots some good deals on his stealth line.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Another plug for Triton.
12year old single axle 2 place, hauled 3 sleds in in for the last several years. Have put probably 30,000mi on it from AZ to AK. Lots of 80+ mph road trips.
It was overloaded so much on hte trip from WA to AK this spring that the tires wore holes through the floor boards from rubbing! Has cought more air than my sled on unsuspecting bumps. Original everything except tires and plastic roof vent.
In fact first time I pulled the bearings (greased regularly though) was before the trip up the Alcan this year. Cleaned them up, and repacked and put them right back in, no visible slop compared to new.
Gave $3500 for it in 2006 and it's probably still worth that much.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I know this thread is semi old but does anyone know who and how to contact NashCar? I know Becker Trailers is still "re-branding" them, I'd prefer to go straight to the manufacture, please let me know in a PM! Thanks everyone!

Nashcar is no longer. I believe they sold the company to someone in Canada. Not sure of the new brand.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
There's also the Mission Trailer brand, which also manufactures the Polaris Trailer brand as well. Both are identical except for markings on the trailer. I recently ordered a Polaris trailer, the 101x22 6.5 (8.5'W, 22' box + 6' V) with the "extreme weather" and "boondocker" packages as well as couple of other small options.

noob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nashcar is no longer. I believe they sold the company to someone in Canada. Not sure of the new brand.

Believe the partnership went sideways and not sure if the company got turfed as far as the part owner up here was involved. Not sure if Chris is still producing the trailers or not

Randman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 21, 2010
Billings, MT
richracer,
I bought a similar trailer (Mission 22' box w/5' V Trailer but not a high deck), how does the hard plastic flooring hold up to carbides? Do you need runners or is the flooring capable of holding up without them?

Thanks

Premium Features