• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tree Riders Best Friend...

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Well theres a good way to throw away good money..............Really cant see a need for this but what ever

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
thats pretty sweet, i seen a prototype of this on a pic of a sled earlier this year i would love to jump on it and throw it around to see exactly how much that spindle is effecting its off camber rideablity, i think the tall spindle effects the sleds layover char's more then people think. especially in spring hero snow. that spindle has stopped/slowed me down a couple times you gotta be ready for it. haha

any ideas on a price yet?

Last edited:
E

everytime5.9

Jan 23, 2009
IDAHO
Well theres a good way to throw away good money..............Really cant see a need for this but what ever

HA! I already had the "feeling" of throwing away my money on my first ride with the PC.... If you haven't had the spindle hold you back in a downhill descent then this doesn't apply to your trail riding needs...

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Some of you take stuff way to serious :baby:

perhaps so... but WHY would you say that you "can't see a need for this"?

Are you REALLY just trying to get things to go backwards? Let's add some lead weights to the bumper while we're at it. It's one thing to disagree with people who are talking the sled down, it's another to nay say someone trying to help make it better.

LOSING WEIGHT IS GOOD. Nay-saying products that are attempting to make a good machine better... that's what's bad imo.

IMO, the spindle ISN'T a serious problem... it's just one SMALL factor that decreases slightly, the ability of the machine.
Though, if you decrease the size of the spindle, and put on a lighter A arm up top, you're losing one small factor, and you're losing some weight in the process.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
it sorta seems to my slightly dumb brain that that whole a-arm thing was more of a perceived problem than an actual problem this year ....

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
it sorta seems to my slightly dumb brain that that whole a-arm thing was more of a perceived problem than an actual problem this year ....

Agree.

I thought it would be an issue and so did Snowest magazine in the review.

I did not notice any significant problem with the spindle. I could imagine potential issues on steep sidehills or steep downhill decents but I did not ever notice the drag or feel it was an issue of any kind.

BDX has always produced top notch products so I am still eager to check it out.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

That's what you've been doing all year long dave....:face-icon-small-sho

In riding it... there were a COUPLE days were I could feel it being more "drag" than the M... wasn't something that caused great concern, but I'm gonna go out on a limb & guess that their spindle has a better turn ratio, weighs less, has a lighter upper A arm as well... a number of things that each make a small change for the POSITIVE instead of going backwards & gaining weight, losing turn radius...

WTF is with people this year... trying to make something better is an applaudable thing, take your head out of the sand & look at the fact that it CAN be made better.

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
HOW MUCH STRENGTH LOSS COMARED TO WIEGHT LOSS?THIS LOOKS LIKE A NICE SETUP IN PERFECT CONDITIONS BUT I ALWAYS SEEM TO FIND THAT HIDDEN OBJECT AND WOULD HATE TO BEND OR BREAK AN A-ARM.I GUESS IT COMES DOWN TO HOW MUCH WIEGHT LOSS TO $$ RATIO.SEEMS THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO LOOSE WIEGHT WITH OUT COMPROMISING RELIABILITY.LOOKS LIKE A GREAT PRODUCT.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Hmmm. I thought I would have wanted more caster on mine in the deep.

BCL you godda know how weak that front box is LOL. With out some major help behind those new mounts (which would make it heavier) and the fact the top arm is ahead of the lower arm now (and darn close to the shock), seems to me a trunk stop would turn into a expensive day stopper. Just my opinion.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Looks like i would break it really fast! Is this going to sacrifice ride quality? I like the idea, but there are drawbacks to that design too.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
HOW MUCH STRENGTH LOSS COMARED TO WIEGHT LOSS?THIS LOOKS LIKE A NICE SETUP IN PERFECT CONDITIONS BUT I ALWAYS SEEM TO FIND THAT HIDDEN OBJECT AND WOULD HATE TO BEND OR BREAK AN A-ARM.I GUESS IT COMES DOWN TO HOW MUCH WIEGHT LOSS TO $$ RATIO.SEEMS THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO LOOSE WIEGHT WITH OUT COMPROMISING RELIABILITY.LOOKS LIKE A GREAT PRODUCT.

Shhhh... no need to yell:face-icon-small-win

Has anyone yet broken an upper A arm? We destroyed the lower, but didn't even come close to the upper being damaged.

As to the upper design, I've been running these:

398540_2450015811832_1295088056_32040452_620408364_n.jpg

For years & have had less issues than I did with stockers... I'm not too scared of the design, but I do understand that it's not as strong, I just don't think the upper is as big an issue on the PC.

I'm not trying to champion this particular design, I just like that someone is doing some work to make it the best sled it can be.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
I destroyed my upper with very little damage to the bottom. Bent the upper mounts and put about a 3.5" "vee" in the upper arm. Lower wasn't damaged enough to even bother replacing

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I destroyed my upper with very little damage to the bottom. Bent the upper mounts and put about a 3.5" "vee" in the upper arm. Lower wasn't damaged enough to even bother replacing

Hit a tree? Trying to think of how that would happen. The few of us around here that have damaged them have lost a bottom, bent the lower frame & panel assembly.

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
yup hit a tree on a steep descent and i think because of the downward angle the top arm hit before the bottom. made the right side bind pretty good with suspension compression.
IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

Premium Features