• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

REAL TIME VIDEO of Avalanche and rescue

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Avalanche, A Life Saved
by Trent Meisenheimer

A local snowmobiler and his wife set out for an afternoon of low angle riding on March 4th 2012. Planning to stick to mellow terrain they left their avalanche rescue gear in the rig. As they pulled up to Hoyt Peak they met another group they knew and started climbing a steep east facing slope. Tyson was the sixth track on the slope when it broke above him. He tried to throttle off the slab but got thrown from his machine and held onto the bumper, getting completely buried in a slight terrain feature at the toe of the slide.

Please enjoy this remarkable story.

Thanks to all who helped make this video possible.

You can find the complete accident report by the Utah Avalanche Center here: utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche_hoyt_peak_342012

http://vimeo.com/38078462

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/38078462?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="337" width="600"></iframe>Avalanche, A Life Saved from Trent Meisenheimer on Vimeo.

Last edited:
S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
He is a very very lucky man. And there were some good people there that did not lose their cool. Not to criticize but I saw 2 mistakes. Rider had no beacon. (hills are tempting no matter what your plan for the day) and there was a previous avy just yards away from where they were climbing.

Tuesday

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Lacombe, Alberta
Glad that he lived.......but how did they even find him? He looked a long ways down so I cant imagine any body parts where sticking out......could they hear him?

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
He is a very very lucky man. And there were some good people there that did not lose their cool. Not to criticize but I saw 2 mistakes. Rider had no beacon. (hills are tempting no matter what your plan for the day) and there was a previous avy just yards away from where they were climbing.

I saw three. What you said, and the first rescuer had to run back to his sled to get his shovel. The other thing I was wondering is if the first searcher, (with the helmet cam on) was the only one with a beacon? I am thinking either the others had theirs on search already (or off) or he was able to discern where a signal was coming from right away? If it was a really deep burial the proximity signal could have been very close to how far the other people were in the rescue.

M
Nov 13, 2008
Wow!!!

I've watched this more than once and this video is one of the best out there, to learn from. I went for a cruise last Sunday with my 8 year old, left TekVest, Float 18 and beacon in the trailer.....posted pics of what happened. It's an "eye opener" considering I ALWAYS wear my gear that you have to be 100% every time out.

Watch the weather and forecasts
Get some training, the very least a video or book to read
Not only..."Have the gear"... But wear it.... "Always"!!!
(don't know how many times I've heard " That's never slid!")
Make sure your group or buddy are on the same page to all of the above!
If climbing, one at a time, while waiting.... "watch" the rider through
( you can see in the video he was with the sled and the first guy knew it)

And I believe this video should be handed out with every new mountain sled purchase, the very least.... Make it huge on YouTube or whatever to get it out there.
There are so many things to "learn from this video".........................breaking shovels, cheap probes, etc.......but the best.... Even though it "happened" they knew enough and saved there friend!!!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
God I would love to hear how they managed to find him! That is crazy, they are lucky they had the man power to not only search for him, but have enough guys to dig fast enough and have replacements for the ones who got tired!

E

EEEK FACTOR

Nov 26, 2007
God I would love to hear how they managed to find him! That is crazy, they are lucky they had the man power to not only search for him, but have enough guys to dig fast enough and have replacements for the ones who got tired!

They managed to hit him with a probe....although succesful, this is a great video of what "not" to do...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you don't have a beacon on you had better PRAY your riding with a large group and all of them know how to USE THEIR PROBES.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I just dont get the rational of leaving a beacon in the truck. It not even heavy or cumbersome. We run full gear including AVY bags no matter where we ride or the conditions. If you have it wear it and if you dont have, it get it, then wear it. If you can afford a sled and the Cash to go out then you can spare a little more to save you life or your buddies life.

P

phatboyfilms

Oct 7, 2008
Glad this turned out ok. Lucky he's alive, doesn't do it justice. it's easy to get complacent. Told myself a long time ago, I wasn't ever going to ride without my beacon shovel probe & avy pack, no matter where I was riding or how safe I thought it was. It's just easier for me to have it all the time.

My reply to "you think we'll need that today?" - If I really thought I was gonna need it, I'd stay home....

P

phatboyfilms

Oct 7, 2008
Btw, Thx for taking the time put this video together & put yourself out to be critisized for your mistakes. Helps people be aware of the reality of the backcountry & how we can be safer.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Pretty unreal stuff.

Great job, and I mean GREAT JOB to all of those involved with the rescue.

It's easy to point out mistakes when hindsight is 20/20 from a warm home behind a computer. The mistake is triggering the avalanche. After that is reaction. that is what my Avi instructors have said.

The first person as he was called in this thread or the helmet cam guy went immediately for his shovel AFTER he was told the rider buried didn't have his beacon on. I'm not going to fault him as from what I can tell appeared to be one of the first or maybe the first to search.

Not to mention, he provided some real life video which should benefit all of us.

F

Fast Freddie

Mar 1, 2009
Shoshone Idaho
AVY

Speaking from experince having a freind in one. The best thing about this video other then him getting out alive was what he said in the last minute of the video. CHECK REPORTS,DON'T RIDE WITH OUT YOUR AVY GEAR AT ANY TIME,GO HOME AND GET IT IF YOU RIDE, MAKE SURE YOUR GEAR IS UP TODATE AND GOOD.On the up note i'm glad it all turned out OK.Yes this should be part of all avy classes. There is a lot of good info. here to learn from. FF

Last edited:
C

catmanm7

Nov 29, 2007
Did he pass out while buried because the lack of air? How did he last 25 mins?
Not only wear your beacon and other gear, but make sure others do as well. Your beacon will not save your life if someone else doesnt have one to find you with. This guy will be :hail: for awhile.... hope he doesnt make this mistake again. Very good outcome to a dangerous situation.

azzkicker

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
In the snow park if they dont have the gear they dont go w/ me....its not just their life its mine and now I got little ones at home thats a major factor I didnt have a few yrs back.

DanoXRS

King Ding-aLing
Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Glad this turned out ok. Lucky he's alive, doesn't do it justice. it's easy to get complacent. Told myself a long time ago, I wasn't ever going to ride without my beacon shovel probe & avy pack, no matter where I was riding or how safe I thought it was. It's just easier for me to have it all the time.

My reply to "you think we'll need that today?" - If I really thought I was gonna need it, I'd stay home....

Well said!!! If you think you're going to need your avy gear...STAY HOME...or ride somewhere that you DON'T think you'll need it!

Dano.

Premium Features