• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wanting a Carbon Fiber Helmet - Suggestions?

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Its time to upgrade my helmet, and i want to go "lightweight". So i am looking for a Carbon Fiber version this time.

I would like to be in the 2.5 to 3 pound range, and $400 or under if possible.

Any suggestions on brand or model that you have had experience with?

N
Dec 17, 2010
Chico, CA
I'm also using a Fly F2 carbon-kevlar helmet. It is not the lightest carbon kevlar helmet but it is very nice, I think it comes in around 1300 to 1400g. Very comfortable, well ventilated, and has awesome graphics too boot.

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
I started wearing a carbon fiber Giro full face bicycle helmet. So light and comfortable you can barely feel it's there. It's not dot approved but imo it offers plenty of protection. Afterall it's designed for those crazy mtn bikers that fly down the mountain in the dirt. It's extremely vented so it's a little chilly on the trail in but a good balaclava takes care of that.
http://www.giro.com/us_en/remedy-cf-5520.html and you can find them for about half that price

Last edited:

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Tim that red lid I wear is a FLY F2. It's been a super good bucket with no complaints. They have a slightly higher end model called the Formula that is basically the same deal with enhanced Ti components as a bit higher grade product.
attachment.php

Fly F2 lid.jpg

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Looks like Fly F2 is the most popular so far. Could one of you guys who owns that helmet, weigh yours on a digital scale and let me know that weight in grams? Thanks much :)

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I wear an Airoh Aviator helmet. Expensive (300 pounds UK), but weighs 950g. Don't know of any USA distributors though, had to order mine through UK (dirtbikexpress). Replacement parts, like peaks, I will be waiting a month before it actually gets here. So ups and downs, but still the most amazing helmet I've ever worn.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I wear an Airoh Aviator helmet. Expensive (300 pounds UK), but weighs 950g. Don't know of any USA distributors though, had to order mine through UK (dirtbikexpress). Replacement parts, like peaks, I will be waiting a month before it actually gets here. So ups and downs, but still the most amazing helmet I've ever worn.

950 gm? Wow! Thats barely over 2 lbs! If i calculated correctly, the price is just under $640. Not bad i guess for that light weight.
A few questions . . .
How much was shipping?
What was the process like to make the purchase from the UK?
How did you know if it will fit you correctly? Did you try one on here locally?
What about how your goggles will fit?

I know...alot of questions, but i am very curious about this one, and it sounds like an incredible helmet.

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
950 gm? Wow! Thats barely over 2 lbs! If i calculated correctly, the price is just under $640. Not bad i guess for that light weight.
A few questions . . .
How much was shipping?
What was the process like to make the purchase from the UK?
How did you know if it will fit you correctly? Did you try one on here locally?
What about how your goggles will fit?

I know...alot of questions, but i am very curious about this one, and it sounds like an incredible helmet.

I bought mine from them through ebay actually. I threw them a price shipped and they took the offer. I think I paid just over $500 shipped to the USA. Took less than 2 weeks to get here. I've worn a large for forever so just ordered that and it fit the same size as my older helmets. I wear Anon Figment goggles and they fit perfect in the helmet. My neck has thanked me ever since I bought it. Feels like you're wearing nothing at all. I know 509's carbon helmet is coming out ~ the same weight, but if the inside is anything like their standard helmets (I own one) then my Airoh is much more comfortable.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Whatever happened to the next batch of the 509 carbons that were due out in Feb?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I too wanted a lighter weight helmet and ended up with a Troy Lee Designs SE-3.

I actually found a few different internet companies that offered free returns and ordered a couple different helmets as they all have slightly different fit.

Found the one I like and ended up sending the others back.

With that being said, the SE-3 is awesome and I absolutely love it. It's a blend of carbon fiber, kevlar and fiberglass. The fit is great and I don't get the "headache" at the end of the day anymore. The SE-3 also comes with emergency removal check pads, so in case of a crash your helmet does not have to be removed to have a C-Collar placed on you.

Ventilation is really good as well and with Scott goggles I have not had one fogging issue. I retro fitted a breath box into the helmet without issues and now I can stop and don't have to worry about ripping the goggles off to avoid fogging.

Only suggestion is to really look around and try as many on as possible, most of these high end helmets have a slightly different fit and you can usually find one that really fits and feels I good. Also don't be scared off by price, search the net and check ebay after you find what you want and you can usually find some kind of deal out there.

The TLD / SE-3 also comes with a really nice helmet bag that would probably run 50 ish if you wanted one like it.

Here's a pretty good review of the SE-3 and a video,

http://blog.revzilla.com/2011/02/troy-lee-se3-helmet-review.html

Troy Lee's website,

https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products.php?cat=37

Here's some pics of mine,

DSC_0179-1.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

C

cjfox

Jan 31, 2010
SW WYO
I use a FOX V3 carbon i like it alot, weighs 2.9pounds cost around 350 if you know the right people,:face-icon-small-win

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
The lightest helmet out there right now is the Suomy Mr. Jump.

They weigh in at 2lbs.

You can see them here: http://www.suomy.com/en/products/mrjump.html

In Canada, Importations Thibault is the sole distributor. Canadian Retail is $459.99 for the graphics, and $399.99 for the solid colours. The monster version is slightly more.

Jon

i cant figure out how to order one though
http://importationsthibault.com/itl/home.jspx
guess i just needed to look a little harder
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suomy-Mr-Ju...parel_Merchandise&hash=item2a172e34d2&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
Premium Features