• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lets talk cluching on the turbo pro

A
Nov 26, 2007
what I have works pretty good but as always there is always room for improvement. I would like to know what kind of setups guys are running. As i said mine works pretty good at lower elevations but I wouldn't mind finding something a little more responsive for higher elevations. Here is what I am running.

epi ps10 165/265 pri
Polaris 10- 70
straight 50 deg helix
stiock polaris sec spring
10-11 psi boost @2200 ft
engagement 4100 turns 8250 rpm

I was thinking of running some dalton or team adjustable weights then biasing the mass towards the end.
Thoughts and combos?

C

crackerjack

Dec 21, 2007
7-8lbs at 7-9K
Im running the silber set up with the pink primary team spring.
Running 73.5 grams and all extra weight is at the heal. engages at 4200 and tachs 8250. A lot of the guys running heads/pipe combos found they pulled better and hit det less when the weight was in the heal. It definitely is the case for my sled. I have tried the team gold primary spring which is stiffer and hit det 8-9 times in one ride. It was engaging at 4250 and taching 8450 with the 73.5 grams. The spot I would hit det is in the midrange around 7500rpm as I was getting into it. With the exact same fueling I didn't hit det once in two rides with the current set up. I tried the orange team spring which is a bit lighter and even with weight pulled it was engaging at 3900 and was a dog on the bottom.

P

pinit

Nov 26, 2007
white sulphur springs montana
7-8lbs at 7-9K
Im running the silber set up with the pink primary team spring.
Running 73.5 grams and all extra weight is at the heal. engages at 4200 and tachs 8250. A lot of the guys running heads/pipe combos found they pulled better and hit det less when the weight was in the heal. It definitely is the case for my sled. I have tried the team gold primary spring which is stiffer and hit det 8-9 times in one ride. It was engaging at 4250 and taching 8450 with the 73.5 grams. The spot I would hit det is in the midrange around 7500rpm as I was getting into it. With the exact same fueling I didn't hit det once in two rides with the current set up. I tried the orange team spring which is a bit lighter and even with weight pulled it was engaging at 3900 and was a dog on the bottom.

whats in you secondary clutch

C

champyfz450

Jan 13, 2009
Fort McMurray
what I have works pretty good but as always there is always room for improvement. I would like to know what kind of setups guys are running. As i said mine works pretty good at lower elevations but I wouldn't mind finding something a little more responsive for higher elevations. Here is what I am running.

epi ps10 165/265 pri
Polaris 10- 70
straight 50 deg helix
stiock polaris sec spring
10-11 psi boost @2200 ft
engagement 4100 turns 8250 rpm

I was thinking of running some dalton or team adjustable weights then biasing the mass towards the end.
Thoughts and combos?

What kit are you running? I only ask cause thats extremely light weight for 10-11 psi at 2200'. Making me question my setups lol

A
Nov 26, 2007
I am not familiar with teh team pink spring. What rate is it? The reason that you were hitting det with your previuos setup was that it was loading more at that rpm. You current setup get no det but it would be slower. I like the idea of loading the wieght on the heel some. What type of wieghts are you using?

C

crackerjack

Dec 21, 2007
44/48 helix but not sure the spring that came with the kit for the secondary. I am running 70/30 av/prem.

A
Nov 26, 2007
What kit are you running? I only ask cause thats extremely light weight for 10-11 psi at 2200'. Making me question my setups lol

Ya it seems light until you look at the pri spring with a finish of only 265 not 340 like th stock one. Taht and the straight 50 deg helix.
With the stock pri spring im up in the 80's

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
10-12 lbs boost @ 8-10K ft Silber Turbo
76gr Team Rooster weights... distributed evenly across the weight
Team Pink Primary spring
44-48 Team helix
Red/Pink Secondary spring

A
Nov 26, 2007
Team Pink Primary spring
44-48 Team helix

Found the team pink 180/320. Ya I can see where that would work.
Part of my problem is I used to drag race a bunch so my clutching tends to be very agressive.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Team Pink Primary spring
44-48 Team helix

Why did you switch from the black/orange secondary that Silber uses?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
As of now,

4500 feet test

rooster weights, 76gr..
slp green/pink primary..165/340
team gold/black spring or team almond
44/48 .36 helix
8250-8300
5-6 psi for my test

first setup....
test at 6500 ft
rooster 80 gr
pink primary spring
42/46 helix
black orange spring
9-10 psi

I do not like the pink primary or the black/orange secondary springs, imho blk/org just to much spring but i'm still testing, more helix's coming from team with other springs. I'm trying to make the sled more agressive and pull harder on the bottom.. we will see

Gracefull

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Silber Turbo, 7-8 Lbs, 3-7000' (Kakwa)
44-48-36-er
team pink spring(primary)
black/orange(secondary)
74 grm Team rooster weights(loaded evenly)

you seen it run mark, I am very happy with it.

Trent

A
Nov 26, 2007
Yuppers your sled works very well. For your type of riding it seems pretty spot on. For my type it looked a little zingy on the bottom. That is what I would want, maybe something about half way between yours and mine. Just want a little more revy on the bottom but I don't want to give anything up on the top. I like that my hands hurt by the end of the day trying to hold on to it.

Dirt2oil

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2010
With my dalton adjustables I'm running with the set screws at the tip of the weight . What are guys experiences with running the weight at the tip versus the middle or the heel? Can you notice a big difference?

M
Dec 5, 2007
Chehalis, WA
Pink primary
78 gr middle and tip
10#
44-48
black orange
Engagement is 3500 and it's too low and runs like sh.. No bottom end
Back shift is too slow and and seems to load the motor too hard
Got to get the engagement up and and tryna 46 finish and or stiffer springs any ideas ???? Would be great. It works well on the road like crap int the trees or on the hill.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Actually it almost seems like your pri spring is broken? It is a know issue with pros. An erl ps9 is 165/280 so you could go down to 74' or less. Might help your lower end.

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
10k' 72.5g helix is silbers 44/48 (i think) running 7lb boost

Speaking of primary springs I have used the pink (180/320) which comes in the silber kit broke after a couple days of riding never noticed when so dont know exactly how long it lasted. Only replacment available was the stock 140/330 polaris spring which lasted 3 days of riding. Had clutch balanced after that trip put in a Maroon 185/320 used one day broke then installed a second one lasted a day and a half before it was broke. I just ordered a 165/310 polaris spring which is a shorter spring thinking it may be the answer. I wish someone had a proven set up for us turbo guys, I have talked with guys with a number of different kits and everyone seems to be hinting that there set up could use improvment. I was talking with 2 guys one with an aerocharger kit another with a boondocker and all three of us had primary weight from 68 to 74 grams all running 6-8#psi and we are all riding 9500-11k. I seems like my secondary was really hot but I am sure it was because my primary spring was broken and had massive belt squeeze in the primary and all the slippage was in the secondary. (Maybe not?) I for one am looking to solve this spring issue, Every spring I have tried that is a taller spring breaks within a day or 2. That is why I am trying the shorter spring.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Why did you switch from the black/orange secondary that Silber uses?

Something Justin is trying out... I was running the original adjustables that came with the 2011 Silber kit at 74.5 grams. With this new combo I'm pulling 8000-8100 at 12 lbs and seeing FULL shift out. The backshifting is a LITTLE slow but nothing I can really complain about. Before the switch to the Team weights and red/pink secondary I was about 3/4 of an inch from full shift. I am geared up one tooth on the top so that may have been my problem. I'm really happy with the new setup. Pulls HARD from start to finish, no problems picking my way through tight technical areas, no problems with over rev from stabbing the throttle on letoffs... this thing is an absolute rocket, the most fun sled I have ever owned hands down.

J

JSCC

Nov 26, 2004
Huntsville,Ut
Pink primary
78 gr middle and tip
10#
44-48
black orange
Engagement is 3500 and it's too low and runs like sh.. No bottom end
Back shift is too slow and and seems to load the motor too hard
Got to get the engagement up and and tryna 46 finish and or stiffer springs any ideas ???? Would be great. It works well on the road like crap int the trees or on the hill.

Move your weights to the heel and middle hole. Load the heel the heaviest. Think of your weight as a sled hammer. A three foot sledge with a five pound head is hard to swing but has a heck of a punch once going. Move all the weight of the head towards your hand and you can move the sledge faster.
I also like the shallower side of the helix, makes for a much better backshift.

T
Jan 2, 2012
10k' 72.5g helix is silbers 44/48 (i think) running 7lb boost

Speaking of primary springs I have used the pink (180/320) which comes in the silber kit broke after a couple days of riding never noticed when so dont know exactly how long it lasted. Only replacment available was the stock 140/330 polaris spring which lasted 3 days of riding. Had clutch balanced after that trip put in a Maroon 185/320 used one day broke then installed a second one lasted a day and a half before it was broke. I just ordered a 165/310 polaris spring which is a shorter spring thinking it may be the answer. I wish someone had a proven set up for us turbo guys, I have talked with guys with a number of different kits and everyone seems to be hinting that there set up could use improvment. I was talking with 2 guys one with an aerocharger kit another with a boondocker and all three of us had primary weight from 68 to 74 grams all running 6-8#psi and we are all riding 9500-11k. I seems like my secIondary
was really hot but I am sure it was because my primary spring was broken and had massive belt squeeze in the primary and all the slippage was in the secondary. (Maybe not?) I for one am looking to solve this spring issue, Every spring I have tried that is a taller spring breaks within a day or 2. That is why I am trying the shorter spring.

I have 600 miles on a starting line blue red 140 320. It seems to be holding up really well. Good luck!

Premium Features