• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 Diamond Drive Bearing Rebuild

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
Took photos of the tear-down, machining, and rebuild of my 2009 M8 diamond drive, in the PDF document attached.

Hope this info helps other Arctic Cat owners. Good luck!

Updated PDF attachment 5/12/12.

Attachments

• Diamond Drive Tear Down 08.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,461
Last edited:
C

CO_MapMaker

Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Wow what a write up!!

When I did my 6203, my 5203 was still in good shape. My cover went right on, but I like removing the case so you can better inspect and cleanout any debris.

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
actually when i grinded my shaft down i found my transfer gear and planetary gears lined up much better. full contact. otherwise stock it didnt have full contact. needed to go in. i have 1500 miles with my shaft grinded down and everything is mint. this is on a m1.

Stack

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Midwest
Took photos of the tear-down, machining, and rebuild of my 2009 M8 diamond drive, in the PDF document attached.

Hope this info helps other Arctic Cat owners.

Good luck!

I added this to the "Popular Links" section, Thanks Paul!!

Stack

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
Great job man!!

I put the gears in the freezer overnight and warm up the inner race of the bearing with a butane torch, Doesn't need to be too hot to slide right on. Dirt bike transmissions and crank bearings...

deanross

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Cody WY
Went to see Doug today.

Just took my shaft to Doug today. I live 80 miles away so he was able to work me in his schedule, so I was able to take it back home with me. Saved me another trip. Good guy. Thanks for the info.

Dean

Knox

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2010
North Dakota
best place to purchase what you need to do the swap.....ive never done it so if possible id like get the part list and numbers thanks

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
best place to purchase what you need to do the swap.....ive never done it so if possible id like get the part list and numbers thanks

See Ebay Item number: 221069126886 (SKF 3203-ATN9-C3). That's all you need. And a good machinist.

Here are other threads that deal with this issue:

http://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f456/diamond-drive-bearing-upgrade-thread-lots-47974.html

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/foru...rive-bearing-failure-repair-write-up-how.html

The Arctic Chat thread was deleted! They FU the machine with poor aluminum tunnel QC at the factory, skip the brake bearing shield (which admits the problem), install the cheapest possible Chinese bearing, refuse to warranty a real fix, claim it never happened, and then hide the truth. Bastards! Other than that, it's a great machine!

Last edited:

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
Update: The M8 subject of this post is working fine. No DD maintenance since the work described above, except for two Amsoil changes, roughly 500 miles apart. Oil has been very clean. No sparkles or debris.

Premium Features