• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dear Arctic Cat

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
Dear Arctic Cat,
I have owned many first gen sleds from you, including my M-7, M-6, M-8 and M-1000. I have been a loyal Cat guy since my first Powder Specail in 1995. I was psyched to order a M1100 Turbo. All my first gen sleds have never had a problem and ran reliably for years. That all changed with my M1100 Turbo. I am putting this letter on Snowest in a chance you will actaully read it. If I sent it to you, it would probably end up in the trash.

After putting 60 trail miles on my M1100 Turbo breaking it in, I met my buddies at the trailhead for some serious boondocking. A foot of fresh and a blue bird day. Backed the sled off the trailer, put in forward and all it did was grind. My buddies riding Doo's found this quite humorous.
I then search on here to find that many other M1100 Turbo owners have experienced the same problems with reverse. Not only that, you KNEW about it, but kept producing sleds that your loyal customers grenaded. Mine was one of the last ones built, yet you did not fix crap. I have also heard, while you are aware of the problems, you have not invented a fix. WTF?????

1. If you know of a damn problem, quit producing and shipping the damn things till you fix them. I waited over a month longer to get it than I should have. A little Cat Cash could go a long way.

2. I would like some of whatever your engineers were smoking when they designed this hood system. 6 torque head screws? That is the best you could come up with? If I have to take this hood off in deep powder, I am going to get drunk, find the nearest Cat rep, and beat his ***, unless he is bigger than me, then I will find some buddies, get them drunk, and we will all beat his ***.

3. What in the hell is up with these skis? You take a 670 pound wet mountain machine, go to the nearest chinese restuarant, borrow some chop sitcks and bolt them to the spindles. WTF? Another 300.00 on top of the damn near 14,000.00 I already spent on the sled for some 8 inch sly dogs to hold the damn thing up in deep powder. Try adding an inch or two to the width of the damn things, please! Or better yet, contract with Sly Dog, SLP or Simmons to use there skis.

4. What is up with this air filter? Damn thing is idiotic. Putting it back on is like pulling teeth.

I do like the power and the sled does handle well. Seems to carry the weight very well. BUT, with all the problems I have read about the 800's (belts, clutches tearing up side panels, and the list goes on) and problems with the 1100 Turbos, these sleds were not ready for production. I have also heard, you would not listen to owners when these problems first showed up. DO you really think someone who has spent the money for a new sled is going to bitch because it is running perfect? LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS! Hell, some probably know more than you do, and I have already seen some come up with fixes on problems you have yet to even acknowledge exist. Ignoring them only pisses off your customers and does not make the problems go away.

What were dreams of the best powder machines ever made are turning into nightmares for some. While some feel it is acceptable for a first gen sled to have issues, when I buy a sled that costs as much as a damn car, I expect it to actually run, not leave me stranded at the trailhead with only 58 miles on it while I watch my buddies ride off on the perfect deep powder blue bird day. You owe alot of people an apology for the design flaws in both the 800 and 1100 turbo. An apology doesn't make them run right, but at least it lets your customers know you are listening and care. I haven't heard a damn thing out of you at all, which really pisses me off. Nothing about M1100T reverses, 800's belts, jackshafts, etc.... A little Cat Cash wouldn't hurt either.

Here endeth the lesson.

John

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
there is a bulliten to not use your reverse, nice eh?

since were ranting.

i will vent too.

Cat you need to listen to your customers better, when someone calls that's been on your sleds for 3 chassis, 6 new sleds and they have never once had a belt issue or requested a belt warranty. maybe you should consider what he is saying. i am a first year member to team arctic and i am completely offended by all this, i cant race your sled. because i wont void the warranty doing so.

the way you figure out issues needs re evaluated. us having to call you up because you arent believing local dealers are having issues is bs.

we have snow in alaska, bielive us when we say you have an issue. we put your sleds to the test, listen to us! help us with belts till you figure it out. wasnt it odvious that there was an issue when all belts sold out twice?

you need to man up as a company and take responsibility for belts, belt covers, cowlings. ect ect ect.

The intake getting water in it is another huge issue to me. I have fixed a bog i had the first 100 miles due to my motor drinking water.

MAN UP CAT. i have taken care of you and never brought my sled in for a bs claim. why would i start now

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Ever Try shifting something like say a tractor in motion, or even without the clutch how does it work?

The belt deflection needs to be at max loose or when the shift fork disenages the gears the jackshaft does not have pressure from the clutch trying to turn. If when you lift your sled on a sled the track creeps at idle your likely going to have issues with reverse. Now here is the problem. When it happened it is likely that your gears got burrs on them. So they will need to be cleaned up.

My reverse has worked well since day one. But my belt deflection is definately set on the loose end of the spec.

Also it is best to ease into the throttle after shifting into reverse or out of reverse. So if something is not right it will not destroy things.

All the other things I agree with. I hate the stock skis.

I love the sled otherwise.

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
I am venting. Beautiful day and here I am typing instead of riding. Anyway, I still love Cat and my M1100 Turbo, when it runs. I am not going to jump ship or anything, and I am sure Cat will EVENTUALLY fix the issues with recalls this year and design changes next year.

I am pissed because Cat has not acknowledged a single major problem. Yeah, they have done a few little recalls, elbow at air filter, steering nut loose, bogey wheel losing rubber, fuel filter installed wrong, etc...

What they have NOT done is to acknowledge the belt and jackshaft issue on the 800's or reverse on the M1100T'sl, among other things.

Something like this would not frickin hurt-

"We at Arctic Cat tried to produce the best mountain machines for the 2011-2012 winter season. We feel our proclimb chassis's and engines are the best technology there is. Unfortunatly, with any new product there are issues. We fell a little short on some designs and are working around the clock to design reliable fixes. We apologize to all our customers who purchased new Proclimbs and had some problems. Please realize we will not rest until everyone one of our customers issues are resolved to thier satisfaction. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies if your Cat Sled has not lived up to your expectations due to design issues. We will make it right, we promise!"

End of story. Man, I should work for Cat public relations. Reading or hearing something like this would at least make it better.

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
Ever Try shifting something like say a tractor in motion, or even without the clutch how does it work?

The belt deflection needs to be at max loose or when the shift fork disenages the gears the jackshaft does not have pressure from the clutch trying to turn. If when you lift your sled on a sled the track creeps at idle your likely going to have issues with reverse. Now here is the problem. When it happened it is likely that your gears got burrs on them. So they will need to be cleaned up.

My reverse has worked well since day one. But my belt deflection is definately set on the loose end of the spec.

Also it is best to ease into the throttle after shifting into reverse or out of reverse. So if something is not right it will not destroy things.

All the other things I agree with. I hate the stock skis.

I love the sled otherwise.

I tried everything to get it back into foward. Lifted the track completely off the ground and engaged it. Shut it off and restarted it in forward. Problem is, with it off, I hand spun the seconday and could still here the grinding. I knew what it was since I had read some other issues with them on here. Took it to the dealer, let them worry about it. Of course, he had not heard a damn thing from Cat on it, although this was the second one he has seen. No fix, no bulletin, nothing.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
Reverse problem letter went out to dealers around Jan 8th.

It is rounding the edge splines of the gear off because it is not engaging positively and then you get what we have here.........failure to communicate.

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
Reverse problem letter went out to dealers around Jan 8th.

It is rounding the edge splines of the gear off because it is not engaging positively and then you get what we have here.........failure to communicate.

I spoke to both the dealer in Etna and the Precison in IF. Niether had seen anything from Cat on it. Cat needs to be sending the bulletin to it's customers so they can arrange to have their sleds repaired before they grenade the gears. They have my email address, phone number, fax and mailing address. When two dealers tell you they have not seen anything, and I have not received anything, then there is a serious communication problem. Plus, Cat knew about this in late November. Dealers supposedly got bulletins Jan 8th?

Plus, I look at most of the snowmobile forums. I have yet to see a dealership bulletin or sticky posted about it.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I still think Cat seriously dropped the ball.......

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I spoke to both the dealer in Etna and the Precison in IF. Niether had seen anything from Cat on it. Cat needs to be sending the bulletin to it's customers so they can arrange to have their sleds repaired before they grenade the gears. They have my email address, phone number, fax and mailing address. When two dealers tell you they have not seen anything, and I have not received anything, then there is a serious communication problem. Plus, Cat knew about this in late November. Dealers supposedly got bulletins Jan 8th?

Plus, I look at most of the snowmobile forums. I have yet to see a dealership bulletin or sticky posted about it.

I am not saying you are wrong, but I still think Cat seriously dropped the ball.......

Im with Racinstation. . . the dealers should very well know of the issues. If they don't they are lying. The problem is that the first couple fixes that cat tried didn't always work. So they are waiting on another fix from cat. The best option is to not use reverse right now. If I had your gears I could have them fixed in a few minutes. I am not sure how they are going to remedy this issue. I am sure any transmission expert can tell you what gears will engage together even with a load on them.

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
Im with Racinstation. . . the dealers should very well know of the issues. If they don't they are lying. The problem is that the first couple fixes that cat tried didn't always work. So they are waiting on another fix from cat. The best option is to not use reverse right now. If I had your gears I could have them fixed in a few minutes. I am not sure how they are going to remedy this issue. I am sure any transmission expert can tell you what gears will engage together even with a load on them.

Hell, I rode without reverse for years. I can live without it. If I could pull it out and it saved wieght, then all the better. Is this possible?

Still, I am a dealer for Argos. If there is a recall, it goes to all those who bought them and to me. It is emailed to purchasers, and then I follow up.

I have a Ford truck, whenever there is a recall or issue, Ford sends ME a letter about it and it is my responsibility to schedule a repair with the dealer.

Also, why would a dealership lie? It isn't there fault, and it is under warranty. I have done business with Precision for years, even though this is only thier second year as a Cat dealership. They know me pretty well. What is the benefit to lying about a factory issue? Speaking with both of them, I honestly believe they have not gotten anything from Cat. Who knows......I just want it fixed and fixed right so that it doesn't happen again.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Hell, I rode without reverse for years. I can live without it. If I could pull it out and it saved wieght, then all the better. Is this possible?

Still, I am a dealer for Argos. If there is a recall, it goes to all those who bought them and to me. It is emailed to purchasers, and then I follow up.

I have a Ford truck, whenever there is a recall or issue, Ford sends ME a letter about it and it is my responsibility to schedule a repair with the dealer.

Also, why would a dealership lie? It isn't there fault, and it is under warranty. I have done business with Precision for years, even though this is only thier second year as a Cat dealership. They know me pretty well. What is the benefit to lying about a factory issue? Speaking with both of them, I honestly believe they have not gotten anything from Cat. Who knows......I just want it fixed and fixed right so that it doesn't happen again.

Yep you can pull it out. The extra chain, and gears likely weigh at least a lb and that is rotating mass. Bikeman has a kit to do it. Or if you have a little fab skill you can do it yourself. The little motor probally weighs a lb too.

You could be riding tommorrow.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
"We at Arctic Cat tried to produce the best mountain machines for the 2011-2012 winter season. We feel our proclimb chassis's and engines are the best technology there is. Unfortunatly, with any new product there are issues. We fell a little short on some designs and are working around the clock to design reliable fixes. We apologize to all our customers who purchased new Proclimbs and had some problems. Please realize we will not rest until everyone one of our customers issues are resolved to thier satisfaction. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies if your Cat Sled has not lived up to your expectations due to design issues. We will make it right, we promise!"

End of story. Man, I should work for Cat public relations. Reading or hearing something like this would at least make it better.

It makes me feel better reading that post even if its not from ac... Lol

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
Alright, I finally found a dealer who has the bulletin. Rexburg Motorsports. It does not state what happens, but there is an upgrade kit for the M1100 Turbo reverse. Service guy was a little pissed that it did not say what symptoms are, just that a block of VIN numbers needs this upgrade.

I still don't think the other dealers were lying, maybe they were just ignorant or don't read the service bulletins.

Now the great part. The "upgrade" kit is backordered for a couple of weeks.

My suggestion to any M1100 Turbo owners is get your dealer to order the kit for you ASAP. Just because yours hasn't grenaded yet, it doesn't mean it won't. I had mine in and out of reverse probably 8-10 times before it blew moving from trailer, to shop, to testing, etc...... The "upgrade" Kit I believe includes new chains and gears which are much stronger.

Once these sleds start getting some serious hard core miles on them, the current system might blow just from stress without putting it in reverse and then back into foward. Ounce of prevention...........

Me, I am going to probably go with the Bikeman delete kit. Lived without reverse for 14 years before I purchased a 2007 M1000 and M8.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I bought a new pol. in 03" and could not get it to run once I got below half a tank of fuel. I talked to three different dealers about it and they had never heard of such a thing. I read on snowest about a update for the fuel pump location. I gave the dealer the number for the update kit, he checked on it and was suprised that it did exist. Too many dealers get info from the manufacture and it gets filed in a big pile behind the desk!

S
Nov 29, 2008
Falkland BC
sounds like you guys need more snow , i don't have any issues with my 1100 HCR turbo, the thing flat runs flawless, it also handles better than any other 4 stroke i've ever rode, but, if your dealers still don't have any answers on recalls, you might want to find another dealer, the recall on reverse was sent out on Nov 2nd , my update kit was at the dealer on Dec 9th

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
sounds like you guys need more snow , i don't have any issues with my 1100 HCR turbo, the thing flat runs flawless, it also handles better than any other 4 stroke i've ever rode, but, if your dealers still don't have any answers on recalls, you might want to find another dealer, the recall on reverse was sent out on Nov 2nd , my update kit was at the dealer on Dec 9th

If this is true, then I am even more pissed than before. My sled was built the week of December 15th. They knew they had a problem, had a fix, yet continued to produce and ship defective sleds. Real smooth Cat. Gee thanks for building and shipping me a defective sled YOU KNEW ABOUT!!!!!

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho

ALL DEALERS ARE TREATED EQUALLY ON BULLETINS. Arctic Cat posts EVERYTHING electronically on their website and all dealers can look at it. In order to know about IT you have to CARE about IT.

PS, I am NOT an Arctic Cat dealer.........just an independent shop that gives a S*%&.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho

The early update has been scrapped, as it did not fix the problem and there is a new update (backordered) that should fix it. Make sure you get the newest update when it is available.

C

catweasel

Feb 20, 2010
Jackson, WY
www.jacksonholeargo.com
ALL DEALERS ARE TREATED EQUALLY ON BULLETINS. Arctic Cat posts EVERYTHING electronically on their website and all dealers can look at it. In order to know about IT you have to CARE about IT.

PS, I am NOT an Arctic Cat dealer.........just an independent shop that gives a S*%&.

I agree. Argo emails me that new bulletins are available and I go on the website to see what they are.

I owe the Dealer in Etna, Mid Valley, an apology. I spoke to the lady and a mechanic when I dropped it off. Darren was not there. He called me and first, said my gears were trashed, no way ot fix them, and second, that he did know about the bulletin and has had upgrade kits ordered for all the M1100 Turbos he sold. They are on back order. He even offered to let me borrow a demo until mine was fixed. I feel bad, since I did not buy it from him. I will definetly do business with him in the future, as he gives a ^%$# like Racin Station said.

Now, Precision Performance in IF is who I bought it from. They had no idea about the bulletin or the problem. They sold 5 Turbos, including mine. I asked about the fuel filter, no idea, loose steering arm nut, no idea. WTF???????? A dealer is responsible for keeping up on the bulletins. These are new sleds and they are going to have some issues. On a new year, like this one, it is even more important for a dealership to log in to the Cat dealership site EVERY morning and see if any new bulletins have been published. It is sad when the consumer knows more about the problems than the dealership.

While my dealership is obviously ignorant and does not give a &^%$, it still doesn't let Cat off the hook. Regardless when the bulletin came out, these reverse problems started popping up in late November. They still went ahead and knowingly produced and shipped defective sleds. Same with the 800 belt issues. They had no damn right to send out defective sleds and have to have dealers and consumers clean up their mess.

In 18 years, this is the first time I have ever been truely dissapointed with Arctic Cat. I love the sleds and am not going anywhere, but I will never buy a first gen sled again from them again. Precision is a new dealership, and Cat needs to make sure their reps properly train their dealerships. They should be penalized somehow for not keeping their customers up to date with Cat recalls, bulletins and upgrades.

My buddies called, the riding was epic......MOTHER ^%$#*@!

Premium Features