• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding partners.

Hotlips

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
The tall mountains of north America.
So I am curious.... Why do you choose the person you ride with? I would like some feedback as to why you ride with the same person or maybe you'll ride with anyone... Give me your thoughts. There is no wrong answer here, male, female, likes and dislikes, terrain and style... Anything goes.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
I almost always ride with my dad, my brother, and a friend or two. I ride with my family for the obvious reasons but also because they ride the way I like to ride. The same goes with the regular friends I ride with. I think everyone has a riding "style" for lack of a better word and mine matches with the way they ride. I guess to describe it better we like to cover a lot of area. We like to ride as fast as we dare, making it kind of a "race" all the time, but we like to play on hills, in the trees, and all of us LOVE to find good jumps to hit. I've ridden with other people who like to find a spot and spend a lot of time just playing in the same area, which is fine but I'd rather hit what's there and move on to the next. We'll climb the same hill doing different lines for a few minutes or so but don't spend a ton of time at any one spot. If there's a good jump to hit, we'll hit it untill the landing is trashed or someone crashes good :face-icon-small-win, and then it's on to something else. That's just how our usual group is.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
There are 2 guys in our group that I prefer to ride near.
We kind of know what each other is thinking.
We can predict which terrain will cause each other to veer off course for that extra playing around.

I dislike riding with people that surprise me frequently with unexpected maneuvers.

Kind of like drafting partners in NASCAR I suppose.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I will ride with anybody, at least once.
If I like the way you ride and the terrain we cover then I will go with you again. I don't care if they are a better rider than me or if I can teach them a few things. As long I know what kind of a ride it is going to be beforehand I can have fun.

My biggest peave is someone that just takes off and you have to go find em everytime you turn around.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
99% of the time I ride with my brother, I can ALWAYS count on him in any situation, and the other way around. We have very similar riding styles, choose similar lines, and even think the same alot of the time.

Other than that, we only have a few other people we like to ride with, due to the fact they are smart and prepared. I will ride with most people, but if they dont have the proper equiptment and brains to go with it, i will try to avoid riding with them again until they do, nothing personal, thats just the way it is.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
id rather ride with someone i dont have to dig out all the time yet at the same time i like to bring people that have never been. it opens their eyes to a whole new world and seeing the smile on their face is what gets me.

i ride hard any chance i can. if theres beginners, ill always be sidehilling along the side of the roads.

as for people that ride hard everywhere, thats my favorite. anyone whos safe about it with proper equipment is a plus.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
Anything GOES? EEEWWW you better reconsider those comments this can be a bit of a creepy place...having ridden with a few thousand snowesters over the years! Looking at your picture...reading your spec's..them NOT KNOWING YOU...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there are some bad thoughts going through some heads right now. (heads) (seriously keep track of how many creepy pm riding invites you get and post it back...this will be fun)

I choose based on who also doesn't have a job! Currently it's a prim-a-dona dirt bag movie star high maintenance ski doo rider but at least we get to go riding when it's sunny and deep.

Best to pick who can save you in a slide and who you want breathing in your mouth if you need it! Dang now I have to find a new riding partner!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I like to ride with people with similar riding styles. I also really like to ride with people who are better riders than I am. I am always looking to improve. I actually met one of my regular riding buddies through Snowest. I posted a "wanna ride on Thursday" thread and the rest is history. That is one cool thing about sledding, the people you meet. I have met some pretty solid individuals through this hobby/passion of mine.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
F I think you took the OP wrong. Anything goes was in reference to the "reasons" people choose their riding buddies.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
My primary riding partner is my significant other. We also have a group of buddies that we ride with. What we would like to see in people we ride with is a responsible attitude, safe riding habits, a willingness to help when help is required, proper gear, and not copping an attitude (too badly haha) when they get tired or frustrated. What will get you uninvited or invited less is if you're late all the time or cancel out on us at the last minute routinely or if you behave in a dangerous manner.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
I too have probably ridden with about a 1000 snowesters over the last 11 years. I mainly ride with my husband, but go with the boyz probably 20% of the time since my husband works off hours. Responsibility is a big factor for me. The boyz I ride with are responsible, sometimes they do crazy stuff, but I trust them 100% with my life. I do West each year with some other friends and enjoy the good time and the turbo play. I do Cooke each year with another group and am guaranteed to get my limits pushed. Thank goodness the kitty has 9 lives and the guys are willing to get in the creek and get wet to help me out.

You have to have the gear (beacon, shovel, probe, preferably a tek vest and Spot) to go with me. You may not be going into the extreme stuff, but I may be and you, wearing that beacon, will save my life.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
I love to ride and will ride with almost anyone "once". If the expreience is gratifying then we will do it again ;) I need to trust the peps I am with and assure they have my back as much as I have theirs. I have several good friends I wont ride with and they understand that. We see each other at the end of the day and have a beer to talk about their day and ours.
As far as how I pick my regular riding partners........I only have a handfull and one is super fun :) The others I trust with my life:)

Safe sleddin
RS

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Some of you seem very fussy about people in your group meeting a certain criteria before being allowed to tag along.

I am just very thankful that a few very seasoned riders were not so selective a few years back.
I am glad they were willing to take us flatlanders under their wings, dig out our stupid azzes, navigate us back home & teach us the do's & don'ts.

Now these guys are way more that riding partners, they are friends, & the time spent visiting with them once a year is more valueable to me than the riding itself.

Green riders are always welcome with us.
There's nothing funner than seeing friends trade their short tracks for long tracks because we welcomed them on one of our trips!

R
Aug 16, 2011
Idaho Falls
When I used to ride costantly, ( I lived in West & worked at the Cat dealership), I'd ride with anybody, any size of group. I was always getting asked about "secret" places to ride. (They don't exist). I'd offer to take them riding on my days off, which got me in trouble as it is considered "guiding" to do that.:face-icon-small-dis.
I've since changed my attitude..I don't like to ride with peepz that are gonna be drinking & riding. Besides the dangers affiliated with it, I found that you end up spending a good share of yer time sitting on yer sled & suckin suds...Sleds are too expensive to be used as bar stools.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
Some of you seem very fussy about people in your group meeting a certain criteria before being allowed to tag along.

I am just very thankful that a few very seasoned riders were not so selective a few years back.
I am glad they were willing to take us flatlanders under their wings, dig out our stupid azzes, navigate us back home & teach us the do's & don'ts.

Now these guys are way more that riding partners, they are friends, & the time spent visiting with them once a year is more valueable to me than the riding itself.

Green riders are always welcome with us.
There's nothing funner than seeing friends trade their short tracks for long tracks because we welcomed them on one of our trips!

I hear ya Mafesto

I enjoy taking new people out, but i always make sure they know to go at their own pace, and if they dont feel comfortable in a situation, to say something or just stop, no biggee.

I hate seeing other groups take people out and give them a bad experience. There is nothing worse than a bad snowmobile experience, and also, there is nothing better than a good snowmobile experience.

If there is a newbe thats going with your group, its your groups duty to show them the tips and tricks, and also to make sure they are safe. If you know someone that has never been sledding before is going, you simply dont take them somewhere crazy. You have to take them somewhere they can learn at their own pace. Some groups just cant suck it up take it easy for a day, its an ego thing in my book. Bottom line is, everyone needs to have a beacon, shovel, probe, radio, and know how to use it. That still doesnt mean when you have a newbe its ok to take them to sketchy terrain, because if there is a bad spot to get stuck in...they will find it.

H

Hairy Mark

Nov 21, 2007
kettle falls
Anything GOES? EEEWWW you better reconsider those comments this can be a bit of a creepy place...having ridden with a few thousand snowesters over the years! Looking at your picture...reading your spec's..them NOT KNOWING YOU...I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there are some bad thoughts going through some heads right now. (heads) (seriously keep track of how many creepy pm riding invites you get and post it back...this will be fun)

I choose based on who also doesn't have a job! Currently it's a prim-a-dona dirt bag movie star high maintenance ski doo rider but at least we get to go riding when it's sunny and deep.

Best to pick who can save you in a slide and who you want breathing in your mouth if you need it! Dang now I have to find a new riding partner!

well rob you chose him. but he does like to sit on the lake and brag about who is faster.

1RMDave

Aug 23, 2010
My favorite riding partner is my brother, I trust him with my life, we like the same terrain, and he's my brother. I'd die for my brothers without hesitation.

I don't mind riding with my dad but he only rides trails, good bonding experience anyway.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho

Like I said before, most of the time I don't care who comes along. Ive been on rides with little kids and had a blast. Most of my riding partners have been along with my kids and did not complain one bit, because they knew it's a necessary part of life to introduce new people into the sport.

I have also taken many a newb with me and showed em a good ride.

However I am very picky about who I ride with in certain places. If it's going to be pretty technical terrain and steep climbs, my kids and newbs will get told without hesitation "Not on this ride". On those rides I want people that I know will be able to handle themselves if we get into something sketchy.
I would love it if EVERY RIDE was a challenging over the hood powder day that I had to push myself and my sled to get where I wanted to go.

With my kids along that AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. I will not get them into something that is knowingly going to get them or anyone else hurt.
My son is improving and getting better. (wish he would learn to hammer the throttle a little more often) He is getting to the point that he can go on some better rides. He's been to Mt Jefferson several times. He usually gets a less challenging route than I like but he doesn't get fussed at if he gets stuck. I go help him everytime and just be glad that he's out there with me enjoying this great sport. I push him and try to teach him. Sometimes he gets it right off, others it's a constant learning reminder for him and me. He gets a riding lesson and I get a lesson in patience.

I also agree with Dee that copping an attitude when something goes wrong, being constantly late and canceling will get you invited less.
Acting outright stupid and dangerous, putting others at risk could get you uninvited in the middle of a ride. DO NOT HIGHMARK OVER ME IF I'M STUCK. When I make it off of the hill you may have my shovel wrapped upside your head and around your F'N neck.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
F-Bomb.....you bringing up the whole "breathing in my mouth" thing...definitely may change who I ride with from now on! And, you are OUT! haha! In fact, maybe no more dudes! :face-icon-small-win Thinking of some of the guys I ride with....makes me puke in my mouth a little bit now!

Seriously, I prefer someone who has my back, as I would have theirs'! Someone smart, safe and with good judgement. Fortunately, I have a lot of riding buddies who fit that category. For me, I prefer small numbers.

R
Oct 17, 2008
when choosing who to ride I think there are several key elements that need to be looked at. For me those are Responsibility, Attitude, Riding Ability, Desire.

#1. They need to be responsible and understand they are not just responsible for themselves but for everyone in the group. I can't stand someone that doesn't help others in the group, or leaves people behind. When you are in the back country you are responsible for each other.

#2. A good attitude can make even the worse riding day fun. I ride because I love it and enjoy it no matter what happens. If someone has a bad attitude towards a situation then they are no fun to ride with and won't be invited next time. I've been in some hairy situations and the only thing that got us out was our attitude. Didn't matter how bad the situation looked on the outside our group looks for the best of the situation and works together.

#3. Riding Ability comes into play depending on the ride I'm going on that day. There are just some people I won't take into certain terrain because their ability isn't there. However if they want to be able to go to those areas I have no problem working with them to help them gain the ability to be able to join us on those days. Which leads to the last part.

#4. They have to have a desire to ride and enjoy the sport. Always wanting to become better and help others become better.

I'm glad that I found my riding buddy when I was 12 and haven't looked back. We both love the sport, do everything to help progress the sport, enjoy some friendly competition and push each other to our limits. I know that he will never leave me behind and I will never leave him. We have unfortunately tested that and I'm glad everything has worked out good so far.

I am always willing to ride with new people and encourage many people come riding with me. I have made great friends that way.

Premium Features