• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A day that changed my life forever!!!!!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
Before I tell you the story of our day of riding last friday I ask you to please think before you reply. We have gone over all the scenarios a thousand time. For everything that went wrong there was a hundred things that went right. Please do not judge !!!!!!! Or act like know it alls. This accident was a freak and it has changed the life of everyone who was there. I do share this only to hope and pray that it never happens again. If you act like an azz I promise we will hunt you down.

It was your normal day of riding blue sky riding in Wyoming was great. They had some new snow and we were out playing. All of us have been well avy trained all wearing beacons, abs packs, shovels , etc etc. Prepared as prepared can be. My buddy had gone up a hill and was hitting it very hard. We all had been up this hill a hundred times. My buddy crests the top and he is carrying too much speed. As he leaves the ground he taps the brake to bring the nose down. ( I cannot express enough at this time he has been riding for 25 years. He has raced motorcycles. He has been on the smaller hill climb circuits. He knows how to freaking ride) the front of the sled comes down and the spot where he hits is too soft. He is pitched over the bars lands face down and the sled lands upside down. On top of him. The weight of the snow pushes the throttle and the TM8 comes to life. Track spinning 8200 rpm grabs my friend and pulls his arm in the track. His arm is sucked in and pinned between the track and the side of the tunnel. Yes we know there is not enough room for an arm To fit there. it is about 20 seconds before we get the sled shut off. We had guys not the ridge calling 911. Rick had to sit behind him to cradle him to make him as comfortable as we can. I immediately start unbolting the. Suspension to get him freed. He is bleeding badly and we have to get him out. As we get him out we immediatley start working on first aid. we put a turnaquit on his arm to stop the bleeding. We have to wrap what is left of his arm... I hope that someday I can forget the way his arm looked. The power of that sled stripped his arm of all flesh, meat , and left nothing but Bone from the elbow down. It was like something from out of a horror movie. We got him freed and stable. Built a fire to keep him warm until the chopper came. Rick cradled him for two hours like a baby waiting for the chopper to arrive. This is where I want to educate you all What happens with life light. it is not a science and it takes a while to get there. It took them two hours to find us. We had given them gps coordinates but somehow from us to the dispatch to the helicopter it was told to them that there had been an avy!!!! They were looking for an avy and not a group on top of a ridge. When the helicopter came into views they didn't see us. They were looking in the canyons. We were a group of 8 riding around yelling twirling coats... I even threw a whole can of gas on a tree to light it on Fire before they saw us. My buddy is now in SLC at the huntsman center. He has lost the lower part of his arm. We went to see him yesterday and he is in suprisingly good spirits. He is talking about needing a crossbow for hunting and is already coming up with mods for his sled to ride next year. He starred death in the face and won. I want to share with you the things that we learned and what is needed on the hill.

1) WEAR YOUR TETHER .!!!!!!!!!
Before you judge too harshly I understand that most new pros don't have one . If that is the case then Polaris needs a recall. We have a new pro in the group and it did not come with a. Tether. I almost always have a tether on, and I didn't have mine hooked up either. It is not just a jump that could have caused this. A side hill and you roll to the lower side same thing could happen.

2) carry a way to signal a chopper. If all of us had a small mirror in our bags they would have found us quicker.

3) carry a pain killer. You cannot use ibuprofen it is a blood thinner and one cannot take it. We could have given him tylenol, to take the sting off a little.

4) help can be coming, but it took them two hours to get to us. Do you carry space blankets, firstaid, food, fire starters, we had all that but I feel you when your buddy is in that condition I wish I had some morphine to knock him out. That was the longest two hours of my life.

5) when ever an emergency comes. SLOW DOWN!!!!!!! Think you can waste a lot of time

Last edited:

Powderhound

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
Looking for tools, etc etc, Size of wrench needed to use... Just slow down and think.

I share this simply as something for everyone to remember that our sport although is a great time there are risks, and not just avys, that we need to be prepared for, it was a life changing event that day. One that I will never forget. I want to thank the Wayan search and rescue. They are amazing guys and my friend would have died. Without them. I want to thank my heavenly father for his blessings that day. The track was spinning do fast that it coderized his blood vessels and stopped the bleeding. That alone saved his life. Please be safe out there.... Hug your wife and kids before you go out and please please please be safe enough to ride another day...

Last edited:
R
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks for writing this. Glad to hear he is OK and gonna make it. Without you guys and your great response, he wouldn't be here today, cheers to you for making it possible for him to survive.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
Wow, crazy how things can go so wrong so fast. Sorry to hear about your friend, but it sounds like you guys did well, it could have ended much worse. Hope his recovery goes well!

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
Freak accidents happen. We have all seen them. I have had or seen a couple close calls but this story is going to make me buy a tether. Thanks for sharing. Hope none of the keyboard hero's on here throw you any shrapnel, but if they do let me know I will help you hunt.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Wow, what an ordeal, thanks for the write up, and I agree with everything you've said about preparation and wearing your tether. Sucks that people have to find out the realization after the fact, but we can all learn (should learn) from these kind of instances, don't think it can't happen to you. Hope recovery goes well for him, gonna be along and painful ride.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
wow. im glad your buddy is doing better. Optimism is contageous, so im sure you guys learned even more. the greatest gift of all is the gift of being human. to be able to think and make decisions and have emotions. i enjoy stories where people act like a missing part of your arm is nothing. if everyone had your friends mentality im sure the world would be a better place.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Get well soon, all of you involved.
It is amazing how fast things can happen, thanks for sharing the story.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Thank you for sharing. I hope all that reads this takes this to heart and if one person remembers one thing you said it is worth sharing. I hope your friend has a speedy recovery.

snokaw

Premium Member
Jan 16, 2008
www.mhallmtbsnow.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing your groups experience Powderhound...it can be a blur in a tough situation. Your friend will never forget what his buddies did to save him. It sounds like you guys made very good decisions to save his life.

You are correct in stating the fact that rescue is not a science and you have to depend on the people around you to survive till more help arrives. When we are in remote areas it can take time.

Good Luck Forward...it sounds like your friend has great support around him and he has a positive outlook!

H

hotshot

Nov 26, 2007
Pocatello, Idaho
I too was on the mountain Friday with Powder Hound. I would just like to add a few things. First of all, this was a freak accident and anyone who comes on with a finger typing attitude will be taken out behind the wood shed.

I just got an update from his wife and he just got out of surgery. It went great. It looks like he will keep his arm from about mid forearm. This is a miracle.

I would also like thank the search and rescue boys from Afton, Wyoming who came to our aid. They are first class. Last night, after seeing our buddy in SLC, someone from search and rescue called just to check on him. It was one of the most genuine acts of kindness I have seen.

This is truly a miracle. I often watch episodes of I shouldnt be alive, and none of those shows have anything over on this experience. I know without a doubt that we were truly blessed by a loving Heavenly Father and a host of angels. The calmness we all experienced cannot be explained. We were truly blessed. We may have been a little unprepared, but we had lots of help from above.

On the way home from the hospital last night we all agreed.....It was a terrible, horrifying experience but I am truly glad I was there.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
0n the way home from the hospital last night we all agreed.....It was a terrible, horrifying experience but I am truly glad I was there.

Wow I cried ! ive been on the side of the mtn with my buddy and had him hold my hand when it was my turn.

Im very sorry that happened to you all. Im glad you where there too.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Wow what a freak accident guys. Very sorry to hear but thx for sharing!! Hope he heals quickly and can enjoy what he loves in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J
WOW!!!

First off, glad to hear your friend is o.k.! Second, my wife and myself just got new pro's this year, and they will have tethers installed before we ride again..... I used to be one of those people who was too proud (read stupid), to learn from others' experience, but accumulated years have changed that, and I want to extend a sincere, heartfelt, THANK YOU!!, for giving me the insight to try to prevent what could be a tragedy.

Again, I THANK YOU!!!

Jbo

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
wow..i have a teather and often don;t hook it to me...well your ordeal has me changing my habits..!!!

Kudo;s to your friends optimism..he has obviously realised two very important things..
,,,it could have been much worse
,,,he knows he has obviously true friends that he rides with..

he will be riding again with modifications,that im certain of...thanx for sharing...!!!

Last edited:

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Wow, Thanks for sharing... Glad to hear that everyone made it off the mountain alive. I am religious about wearing my tether after having a frightening experience (nothing of this magnitude however), but others in my group aren't or don't even have them... I will be sure to share your story to try to prevent something like this from happening to the guys I ride with.

Hope he recovers asap:tea:

Premium Features