• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro Assault suspension set ups

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
With all the different ways to set up the Pro Assault suspension I thought we could start a thread on Pro Assault suspension set ups.

Basically a one stop thread to see what guys are running and thoughts on different set ups for different conditions.

Things like, which track your running (powder or comp), front and rear track shock settings, front shock settings and of course which rear suspension front mounting position, upper or lower.

Other things that could helpful would be what is the type of riding, boondocking, hill climbing, jumping and typical snow conditions experienced with that certain set up.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Come on "Assault" boys, did everyone leave them the dreaded "S" word.......Stock?

I know some guys are raising the rear suspension front mounting to the upper position. Experiences, good, bad it's all good info for the guy scratching his head going WTF do I try now.

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
I should have some good things to add shortly. I haven't had the new assault out yet, but will over new years. I'm going to put the front skid mount in the upper hole. I'll be using the sled mostly for boondocking and a little air time...so that's the set up I'll be looking to dial it in for:D:D

P
Jan 20, 2011
If you got snow, go ride it and make your own adjustments to fit you and your riding style. I love my Assaults, but I did have to make some changes to work for me. Its not hard to drill the hole and remount the skid in the upper hole "takes 10 min" if you dont like it put it back. If you leave it in the stock hole and suck your springs and shocks up to comp. for the ski lift it will be a stiff ride. You could also tighten your limiter staps up, that will give you less ski lift also. Many different combos out there find the one that works for you and enjoy.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
No snow here as well, just looking for ideas to start with and a direction to go like others I'm sure.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just thought I would bring this up again, now that we've had some more time on the snow. At least a little more time anyways.

For all the guys running the Pro Assault, I’m just curious to see what most guys are running for front suspension set ups. I’ve done some research on this and keep coming up a little short.

Basically, what you’re running for spring length and clicker setting with certain snow conditions and riding style. If you want to include rear suspension settings as well, that could be helpful as well.

I’ve been messing around with the front a little but with limited snow this year it just sucks for getting it dialed in.

Right now on mine, the front springs are set at the factory 11” free length and the clickers set at the number 5 (5 starting from the softest setting).

I’m leaning towards lengthening (less compression) the springs, 1 to 2 turns and going to a number 4 in order to soften it up a little more to assist with rolling it over. I know the snow conditions dictate a lot of these settings but it would be nice to hear what guys have had really good luck with. This way we can spend less time tinkering and dialing in and more time riding during this crappy winter!!!

Last edited:
T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
I remember seeing you start this thread and I was like "yeah, what a good idea!" But I didn't have any input. Now I do, at least with the front.

I'm about 170 with a pack on, and 6'1". Blue eyes.

So in the rear, I have the rear shock only a couple turns backed off from stock. (No measurements on that though) And the center shock tightened up a good fair amount. (Again, no measurements) I rode it stock, then softened up the rear just a touch to soften a tad and increase transfer, then added a bunch to the center to make it flick easier. Had to back off that a tad after riding whoops and hit a perfect medium.

Now, on to the front where I have some time fiddling and thoughts. I have my springs backed out to max length, and my clickers on 3 from hardest. I started out with them at 3 from softest, and it was more difficult for me to get it rolled up and keep it there. It would just squish down the shock and not really get on edge. One day, I decided to try it super stiff. After a bit of tinkering, I ended up on 3 from stiffest. I tried 4, but found it was too much more difficult to roll up than 3, and have stuck with that. On the trail, 3 is a bit stiff unless you just nuke through whoops, but I can handle it for my average trail rides, since I'm not on trails for more than a few miles. I suppose I could increase my spring preload and decrease compression damping and achieve the same results, but it's so easy to twist the clickers...

All of my tinkering was done in shallower snow, with 4-8 inches of fresh. Once we got more snow, this setup worked awesome, but just about anything works awesome in the deep.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
There is no such thing as a Polaris Pro Assault.

Seriously?

Your right maybe I should have just labeled it "Polaris Assault" and have guys' input on the "IQ" chassis Assault and the "Pro" chassis Assault because they are exactly the same.

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Anyone have any numbers on the length that they are running their center shock spring at? That is the only adjustment on that position correct?

I have no idea what I'm doing, but looking at mine where it was set from the factory it appears to be very loose. There doesn't seem to be much preload on it at all.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Anyone have any numbers on the length that they are running their center shock spring at? That is the only adjustment on that position correct?

I have no idea what I'm doing, but looking at mine where it was set from the factory it appears to be very loose. There doesn't seem to be much preload on it at all.

Your talking the front track shock right? From what I've come across and most guys seem to suggest is to run the front track shock as loose as you can for "deep powder" riding. Then set the rear track shock according to the manual and fine tune from there.

S

Skeld

Mar 6, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Your talking the front track shock right? From what I've come across and most guys seem to suggest is to run the front track shock as loose as you can for "deep powder" riding. Then set the rear track shock according to the manual and fine tune from there.

Yes, the front track shock.

Tree Boss

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2009
Franklin County ID
Here's what I did to control the front end because all it wanted to do was wheelie.

I did drill out the upper hole and put the suspension there and I also loosened up the front shock quite a bit. The rear I stiffened up about 4-5 turns and that has made this sled much more suitable for the trees. It keeps the front end down and allows for me to make better line choices. It was a snowcheck so it came with the pow track :D

hope this helps some of ya out,

I'm 155 pds with clothes on so with gear I'm guessing 160

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I am not sure if my Assault came from the factory with different settings then some of the other Assaults on here or what, but mine hardly wheelies at all. In fact I couldn't tell the difference between mine and the Pro RMK in our group as far as ski lift goes and I have tested it in every kind of terrain. If I adjust anything on mine I think it will be reducing the ski pressure a little more.

Last edited:
R
i too am looking for a good set up weigh about 170-175lbs without gear..i moved the skid to the upper hole,everything is stock the
RTS spring is 10.250" clicker on 6,FTS spring is 8.250" and the IFS spring is 9.250",and clickers on 6...does anyone else's have the same set up from factory,and if u have a good set up what are you setting?
Looking at service manual and says the IFS should be 10.750" mine is 9.250" what would i notice different if it was 10.750 vs 9.250?

IFS.jpg IFS2.jpg RTS.JPG

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I am not sure if my Assault came from the factory with different settings then some of the other Assaults on here or what, but mine hardly wheelies at all. In fact I couldn't tell the difference between mine and the Pro RMK in our group as far as ski lift goes and I have tested it in every kind of terrain. If I adjust anything on mine I think it will be reducing the ski pressure a little more.

I actually thought the same thing and kind wrote it off. But now with a few more miles on the Assault and being able to ride the Assault and the Pro RMK on the same day, the Assault does like to lift the skis more. With that being said, I'll be re-locating the front skid to the upper hole and doing some fine tuning.

The Pro RMK gets up on the snow fast, climbs a little better and with a little less ski lift is easier to throw around, especially when it get's tight. The shocks on the Assault definitely shine though, so with a little more suspension tuning the Assault will be pretty bad azzzz!

Last edited:
T
Feb 1, 2010
Entiat, WA
Just wanted to pop this thread back to the top and see if anybody has any more setups for the RMK Assault. Been happy with how mine is set up, I'll run it as is to start out with and see if any gremlins show their heads.

Premium Features