• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First time tuner tips?

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
So im going to start tuning my 2011 Pro Rmk with 2011 silber turbo kit ob it, installed the kit this summer and snow has come, and im just starting to get finished on the rest of the sled.

Never tuned a turbo sled before, so this is going to be a new experince. Want to do it myself so i know what to do later on.

So anybody got any tips for what to look after and what to do?

Going to run around 6-7psi on straight pump gas.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Sorry, forgot to mention it. Running a Power Addiction head with 11.1 comp head, elevation is 1900 - 4300ft.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I'd start out with at least some race gas or 100LL in there just to be safe, then start backing it off once you get more comfortable

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I'd start out with at least some race gas or 100LL in there just to be safe, then start backing it off once you get more comfortable
X2

I haven't found 100ll limits, but at sea level I'm running 8 lbs on 100% av and I'm Leary of it. I'd start with too much octane and dial it back after you get the sled where you want. Not enough causes a lot more problems than too much.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
I am going to run some Sunoco 109 in it during tuning, but i hope ill get to run straight pump gas in the future.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I am going to run some Sunoco 109 in it during tuning, but i hope ill get to run straight pump gas in the future.

IMHO at the elevation you are riding at, you will be pushing the limits of pump gas at 7 psi. Especially if you are talking 91 ethanol premium.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Well, maybe. I have to little knownlegde to judge that. Our gasoline have other readings that you, and we have no ethanol in our gasoline, highest octane we get on pump is 98RON which is 90MON and in PON 94.

So no ethanol and i ride on the non ethanol plug with no dET.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Not more? Thats alittle depressing. How much Sunoco 109GT+ should I mix in each tank if I want 7psi?

And another thing, ive tried to turn the boost knob on the turbo, but it don't seem to stop anywhere when turning to - to get 0psi boost? How do I know when I have turned/set it to 7psi?

T
Jan 3, 2008
nelson bc
how my boost guage controller works. i got the 11 pro with the 11 kit as well. if i have the controller 3 full turns out form all the way in, my boost guage reads 7 pounds at WOT. i have it out 5 full turns right now and it's reading just under 10 pounds on the guage at WOT. not sure why, but at 10 pounds on the guage, im happy, and it's more than enough for the tree riding i do between 3000 and 6000 feet.

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
you can turn it all the way out but the wastegate spring is what lets it open at 7psi minimum unless you got a low psi wastegate then its like 4-5?

friscospices.com

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Nebraska
www.friscospices.com
If you want to run 7 psi you have to use straight 110. The low compression head will relieve you a bit but I would not take a chance. The head may be good for a couple gallons of 91 with the 110 but why risk it. Otherwise you can get the low pressure spring and run 50/50 at 5psi.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
Well, maybe. I have to little knownlegde to judge that. Our gasoline have other readings that you, and we have no ethanol in our gasoline, highest octane we get on pump is 98RON which is 90MON and in PON 94.

So no ethanol and i ride on the non ethanol plug with no dET.

You should be using the ethanol plug for starters. This will add more fuel to help keep it safer.

Idk, I think you might be able to pull it off with that gas. If you have the low comp head OR a timing module I thinks its possible for sure, plus it seems like anyone from over seas automatically gets at least 2psi more boost out of any certain octane than the american conterpart anyways, lol, so you should be good. Just start out with some race gas in the mix and back it off slowly till you hit DET. Silber says the DET is set so touchy on these sleds its almost impossible to burn them down from DET, HE'S TRIED, it wouldn't let him.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
If you want to run 7 psi you have to use straight 110. The low compression head will relieve you a bit but I would not take a chance. The head may be good for a couple gallons of 91 with the 110 but why risk it. Otherwise you can get the low pressure spring and run 50/50 at 5psi.

This is not true, I know this from experience. I ran 6-7psi last weekend on a 60/40 race/pump mix and didn't hit det once & that's at 1200ft elevation. That's even lower elevation than he's riding at. I plan to run 50/50 without problems at that same boost/elevation.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Thanks for all the tips, im going to get some help from a local guy who's tuned a couple turbo 2strokes over the last years, so he propably got some input on the gas mix.

The reason I dont want to use much race fuel is the price, here i Norway I pay $4.2 per liter of race fuel!! Thats $2 more than regular gas! So it gets really expencive.

By the way, im running the low psi spring in the wastegate, so whats top psi numbers with that spring? And can I just turn the boost regulator 7 tounds towards plus an ill be at max psi with that spring?

And yes im running low compression head, it's a Power Addiction 11.1 head.

Thanks again for the tip on the ethanol plug, i wil change it, but im kinda sceptical to it, since ive heard reports about people getting dET riding stock with the ethanol plug.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
At 1200ft elevation, the LOWEST I could get my boost with the LOW psi wastegate spring is 6-7psi.

I wonder if the ethanol plug does something to the timing to make is DET, idk, something to look into.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
What? Didnt you get under 6-7psi with the low boost spring? I tought that spring started on like 2-3psi and topped at 8psi.

Not really sure what the ethanol plud does different to the engine, but maybe it's worth trying with both the plugs, to se any difference.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
What? Didnt you get under 6-7psi with the low boost spring? I tought that spring started on like 2-3psi and topped at 8psi.

Not really sure what the ethanol plud does different to the engine, but maybe it's worth trying with both the plugs, to se any difference.

At 1200ft elevation, 6psi is the lowest it will go. I have a buddy with a switchback assault with the same kit that is experiencing the same things. You may get it to go a little lower at 2000-4000ft elevation.
In all honesty, this is kinda what I was expecting, the small internal wastegate hole can only bypass so much.

Premium Features