• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How To Check your TPS

B

boxster7614

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah that tester works for the newer sled also but on the CFI motors you check your voltage at idle instead of at WOT. I think there is a post in the IQ section on settings. I'm heading to radio shack tomorrow to get my parts to build my tester. :face-icon-small-hap

Trevor83T

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2008
Southeast MN
Yeah I went to Radio Shack yesterday and got all the parts for mine. Got it all put together last night and it tested out okay. I have yet to hook it up to my sled though. Soldering wire to the voltage regulator can be a major PITA, so make sure to use small enough wire.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
T.P.S. TIPS

Will that tester work for newer sleds too?

T.P.S. TESTER TOOL FROM POLARIS PART # 2201519-A approx $ 50.00 (Made by SPI)

This T.P.S. Tester tool works on all the sleds and RZR's as well. You'll still need to supply your own voltmeter.

T.P.S. Tips

1) Verify 5.000 VOLTS BEFORE you start. Replace batteries if necessary.

2) Use a HIGH QUALITY DIGITAL VOLTMETER and for carbed twins set between 4.0 & 4.1 volts at WIDE OPEN THROTTLE.

3) Using an analog style volt meter, gradually open and close the throttle and watch the voltmeter move gradually, erratic readings indicate a faulty T.P.S.

ONLY for 2007 and newer CFI's

1) When setting the T.P.S. on C.F.I.'s, the throttle valves MUST BE FULLY CLOSED, then set it @ .70 volts +/-.01 volts for the 600/700/800

2) After that, turn the idle speed screw until the voltmeter reads .94 - .95 volts +/- .01 but this varies with model. The voltage determines the idle speed. After this is set, do NOT mess with the "idle speed screw"

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
Here's another power source : 4.5 volts from one of those newer 3AAA LED flashlights.
I borrowed the battery holder from a 3-AAA cell flashlight, taped a bared wire with
small 'gator clip to the top (+), 2 of the same type wires to the bottom (-) Confirm 4.5
volts with voltmeter then hook up as described in video. When test is complete, remove tape and return battery holder to your flashlight. (If not your flashlight-return to owner).

WTF ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?? 4.5 volts??

You need 5.00 volts! Period!

T
Feb 24, 2011
NOTICE: I was wrong in the above quoted post (topbob). Please note that 5 volts
input is required. Sorry for the incorrect info and thanks for Kraven's catching it.

vwsprite

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2008
mazama, wa
made one from a power supply for piece of electronics, original output was 6 volts, installed 5 volt resistor, now i have one that plugs into the wall, and is always 5 volt output. my question is the motor i have is not in it's original chassis and i don't run a key switch(personal preference) does the cdi/tps get its power from the pink wire that originally went to the key switch?

Premium Features