• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skinz Protective Gear Closed?

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
So WTF? How can you be a snowmobile company and be closed down to new orders from Dec-Feb? On the Skinz website you are greated by:

NOTICE: DUE TO HIGH ORDER DEMAND - WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW ORDERS. WE WILL RESUME TAKING ORDERS ON FEB. 1, 2012.

Wow. In the heart of the season you stop taking orders. Hire some temp help. Sorce out to some sub contractors. Something, but don't close during peak season.

Fortunately I found the product I was looking for in stock somewhere else, but the inventory is drying up quickly and people will go somewhere else.

sled_guy

P

polaris6

Jan 4, 2004
Must have some major supply problems. To close like that and not even explain why is not a good sign. Anyone with an order not filled, I would call. Doesn't look like they will be around much longer.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
????

I am sort of mystified on this one as well. Really seems like they have a great line of products, but struggle to supply the consumer with them. Man, if a guy could come out with a line of products similar...

I have a friend that put one of their bumpers on his sled, but if I remember right it took a while for him to get it. I am sure there is probably way more to it than the general public knows about, but it is really odd they would close not only at the beginning of the season, but at the peak of "spending season". To me it is a case of they are either doing something very good, or very bad?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I'm just guessing here, but I'd bet that their business grew much faster than they thought it would and simply don't have the capital to work with to build the inventory needed.

Burr

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Luverne Mn
I have had the same problems with them also. I think they just play it safe and only make what they feel they can sell and make there profit on the first rush. They have great products and i feel they got caught with there pants down on the demand on what they sell. They are not going broke. Just wish they would step up to the plate a little more.

You never go broke if if you sell out of what you make and can still make a profit on that amount.So i will get the stuff i need from someone else this year.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Timbersled seems to have done the exact same thing with their mountainhorse kits. They just announced they are sold out for the year. WHAT!!!!.

Make some more if there is a demand. Hire help to make them if it is cutting into your riding. I do not understand at all why a sled parts company would close or decide not to build more of a product until next season when the season has just begin. Makes no sense whatsoever. Next year people may not want their product anymore because someone else might come up with something else better of cheaper.

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
pretty typical in the sled world. Its a small industry, the inovators are good with ideas and an amount of product while stayin in that ma' n pop family size. Most of them know nothing about pushing their businesses to the next level.

I would be like a rat on a cheatto gettin er done if i had that kind of demand. It must be nice being able to turn business away.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
In what part of the statement below says "We're Closed",

NOTICE: DUE TO HIGH ORDER DEMAND - WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING ANY NEW ORDERS. WE WILL RESUME TAKING ORDERS ON FEB. 1, 2012.?

What I read is they are not taking internet orders until 1 Feb. I'll bet money they are still operating trying to fill the orders for product that are CURRENTLY in the system (and severely back-ordered). It makes sense, if they can't fill current orders, why take in more that will just end up pissing people off more because they can't get the item they ordered.

In regards to sub-contracting or hiring temp help, this may fill orders, but the quality will suffer - proven fact if you strive for quantity, quality goes out the window - I refer you to the years AMF owned Harley Davidson - worst years to buy an HD.

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
A lot of bashing of Skinz going on here...from people who are making a lot of assumptions completely unsupported by any facts.

Why not just take it at face value, and be pleased that a good company clearly is getting enough orders that they are that busy, and that they're honest enough to actually say they're that backed up instead of continuing to take orders and make excuses about shipping delays the way some companies do?

Personally I think Skinz makes great products, and I'm glad they're doing so well.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
It also amuses me that people wait till the snow flies to start buying the items on their upgrade/wish list and then start whining/crying about stuff not being available. I started back in April/May to get the stuff I wanted for my summer mod project, funny thing I didn't have to wait for any of it - even got my Air Frames about 3 - 5 days after placing my order from a member of this forum and on sale - I think $390 shipped.

Last edited:
B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
they are a small business that makes great product that refuse to sacrifice quantity for quality everything is done in house thats why its great quality.if they took your money & you didn't have your product i bet you would be less happy:face-icon-small-sho some people just need to biotch about things if it don't make them happy.i would rather wait for a great product that last than get a piece of junk that only last for half the season or don't fit right,but that's just me i guess.:face-icon-small-con:face-icon-small-hap

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
the skinz family is after all a family..they deserve some space to connect again like any family...they work their butts off..you can see it in the quality and ingenuity of their product..

They probably will still be working like crazy while their supplies get current for manufacturing for product in Feb..

I mean really..can;t they go for a sled ride in the snow or do they have to be imprisoned all winter and spin their tracks in the sand..

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Anyone who doesnt get it needs to open a business and show us all how its done. As stated good SKILLED help is impossible to find these days period end of discussion on that.

Plus being a biz owner I know a few others and very few of us are willing to put our necks out there in this political and economic climate. would you? again hang your sign and show me /Skins how its done.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I have been in business for years and I see the same thing time and again in the aftermarket sled world... people come up with great products/ideas but they lack even basic business abilities.

Simple fact, right now is the peak season for selling snowmobile stuff. If you aren't striking during this time you are missing out. If you are happy with that, so be it. BUT, you can say all you want about quality, but when I point my customers at the Skinz website to go look at something that will help their sleds and they see that note the first thing those "new" customers for Skinz say to me is "no thanks, looks like they aren't a reliable company".

You can complain about that view if you want, but its a valid one. The old saying in the business world is "You only get one chance to make a first impression".

I bought their bumper and put it on a 2008 Dragon... great product, luckily someone had one in their inventory. The design is cool, but the building of it is simple... I have worked with half a dozen manufacturing shops in Salt Lake that could take that bumper and crank them out from scratch in a matter of a few days. Yup, might cost a bit more to have them made instead of doing it in house, but the quality would be just as good and they could be selling them during peak season. And they could be out riding with their family or working on building other items that aren't easily subbed out.

Its up to Skinz what they do. But from my standpoint its a mistake to do it how they are doing it. If they are happy with that, its their call, their business not mine. But I'm not going to wait around for them to start taking orders when I have customers needing product, I'll find another source and take mine and their business some place else.

sled_guy

B
Nov 27, 2007
Copied the following from the Skinz Web Site;

Thank you for looking at Skinz products.
Please keep in mind that we are a manufacturer (which means we build the products (here in the USA) and we sell to distributors who in turn sell to dealers who make them available to you for purchase. Dealers (retail outlets) are set up and designed to sell to the consumer.

We do make our products available for purchase if you can not find anyone who carries the product you are looking for. But......please keep in mind..... We are not a retail business. We may not have stock in the item you are looking for (at least at certain times of the year) and so you will most likely have to wait while we build it. WE CAN NOT CHECK STOCK SO PLEASE DO NOT ORDER FROM US IF YOU CAN NOT WAIT. Check with your local dealer to see if they have stock in the product you are looking for.

Please look at our info section of our website for more information.

Thank you for your understanding. We appreciate you choosing Skinz Products.

Premium Features