• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PART #2 STEERING SWING MOD

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Cutting the bulkhead- drill out the bottom rivet where its double thick, and you will only loose the one rivet for the boot. just move it over and drill one new one when done.

Attachments

• bulkhead 2.jpg
    bulkhead 2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 863
  • plate dimensions.jpg
    plate dimensions.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 854
  • DSC00259.jpg
    DSC00259.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 753
  • DSC00263.jpg
    DSC00263.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 750
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Does this steering system have steering stops built into it? On the Polaris there is typically a stop welded to the steering post just below the upper post bushing and also built into each spindle. Have you run into the stops yet, or will they be a problem?

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
There are stops on the steering stem and on the upper post on the vert setups.

The stops on the steering steam are about a fat as they can be with out the system camming over. The stops on the vert post kick in a little before the bottom stops on the steam so they need to be adjusted by f'en with your linkages or with a grinder.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Elvis 1280

I was wondering if you have been able to ride your sled since you fixed the steering. I wonder how much difference there is on steering resistance, if it
is much harder to steer compared to stock. I am ready to modify mine this
week. Rickm

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
I rode today. Absolutly worth the 8 hrs it took me to do this mod. The steering is the same in effort and I read rkt said he doesn't think the mod is nessary? The sled handles awsome without it but if you sidehill steep steep hills? It is very nessary. Only sidehilling is helped with this mod. I could uturn without it but was constantly working too hard to hold a sidehill. Its the best mod for serious tree riders.

M
Jan 13, 2010
wasilla, alaska
How?

I rode today. Absolutly worth the 8 hrs it took me to do this mod. The steering is the same in effort and I read rkt said he doesn't think the mod is nessary? The sled handles awsome without it but if you sidehill steep steep hills? It is very nessary. Only sidehilling is helped with this mod. I could uturn without it but was constantly working too hard to hold a sidehill. Its the best mod for serious tree riders.

How exactly does this help side hilling or boondocking? What exactly is the mod?

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
counter steering.

Counter steering it is important to have max ski movement on steep hills .

Good post thanks.

Kelsey does not Like trees or steep side hilling. He calls it rasmussen style riding.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
So if someone provided plates, dowels, bolts, drilling templates, and instructions to do it through the sides, it would only be 3 to 4hrs tops. Right Elvis.

Good job on the pics. You should make a kit.

R

rcaustin

Sep 8, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I would definitely buy the plates, dowels, bolts etc if somebody made an aftermarket kit for this complete with cut out templates etc. Some money to be made for whoever puts this together. I am supprised it hasn't been done yet.

Thanks,
Ryan

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
elvis or geo, could you turn your skis all the way one way and measure center to center on the front and back of the skis, just wondering if there is a cam effect.

C

CatRyder88

Dec 6, 2007
I would definitely buy the plates, dowels, bolts etc if somebody made an aftermarket kit for this complete with cut out templates etc. Some money to be made for whoever puts this together. I am supprised it hasn't been done yet.

Thanks,
Ryan

x2
I would defiantly buy this kit if someone put it together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... My iPhone can climb higher than yours! :p

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I am hoping someone comes out with a replacement piece that will just bolt in. Hate to start hacking up my sled and find out there is a lot cleaner and easier way to do it.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
With a drop in piece like I'm talking about you still have to remove everything, drill rivets and cut the tie rod opening hole, or some could be built with less distance and not have to cut tie rod hole but the rest would still have to take place.

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Wyo since you would still need to cut out the bulkhead I think adding a plate would be easier cause you don't need to unbolt the mini rod and pull it out of the post. The plate would be easier. Imo.
Geo building the plates in some quantity is something I am not setup for, I could do all the templates amd instructions but I would need a machinist to make the plates? I am a wood finishing company, so maybe I could make plates out of oak? LOL

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
agreed, could you measure ski distance when turned, center to center

Do you think a CNC'd piece of aluminum would be strong enough, maybe make the tabs a little thicker for strength and make it so it just slips inside the stock piece.

B

Budd

Nov 26, 2007
Eastern, ID.
Cutting the bulkhead- drill out the bottom rivet where its double thick, and you will only loose the one rivet for the boot. just move it over and drill one new one when done.

can you out line the bulk head cuts on the right side in red like you did to the left side? thanks, budd

Premium Features