• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Comparison: Zbroz vs Holz A Arms 2012 Pro

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Here's some info on the two products side by side. Compared to one another:

sept-dec2011185.jpg

sept-dec2011161.jpg

sept-dec2011163.jpg

sept-dec2011177.jpg

sept-dec2011176.jpg

Measurements are from the outside of the spindle to the outside of the spindle in front of the lower a arm mounting location. Spindles are 2" wide so subtract an inch off both sides for true center to center spindle measurement. I also measured the height of the front bumper to see if the different arms affected ride height with the same shocks. They did not appear to at all. As you can see they were within a 16th of an inch of one another at approx 20 and 5/16" above the ground. This was good as it took out some opportunity for error when measuring the stances do to height variances.

sept-dec2011172.jpg

sept-dec2011180.jpg

sept-dec2011175.jpg

sept-dec2011181.jpg

Weights did not include hardware (no tie rod ends or spherical bearings)

Zbroz= Narrower stance approx 40 5/8" /Heavier 10lbs 5oz (total with stock tie rods)
sept-dec2011183.jpg

sept-dec2011184.jpg

Holz= Wider stance approx 41 7/8" /Lighter 7lbs 6oz (total with Holz tie rods)
sept-dec2011171.jpg

sept-dec2011170.jpg

Differences by my measurements are 1 1/4" in stance and 2lbs 15oz in weight.

The Arms alone weighed per side without tie rods:

Holz 3lbs 7oz
sept-dec2011166.jpg

Zbroz 4lbs 14oz
sept-dec2011164.jpg

Difference 1lb 7oz per side.

Center of Spindle to Center of Spindle Measurement:

Holz 39 7/8"

Zbroz 38 5/8"

sept-dec2011162.jpg

Other observations:

P coating on ZBroz is very thick and glossy. Lower shock mounting nut only gets a couple threads on the bolt so using a longer bolt with these is smart. The upper shock mounting bolt is the perfect length. However, if you swap them out then the top will have the same problem, so be prepared to use a couple longer bolts.

Holz lower arms have more clearance inside the spindle. They are a direct replacement with the addition of the tie rods (which are included) using all of the stock hardware. Be careful not to clamp the rubber tie rod boots too far out from the sled bulkhead or they will tear when you steer all the way to the stop. I suggest leaving them loose on the smaller diameter tapered part of the tie rod.

Last edited:
F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
I have nothing on the stock measurements or weights so hopefully somebody can add it to the thread.

If someone could take a tape measure out to their stocker and measure the outside spindle to spindle distance in front of the lower a arm mounting location that would be awesome!

Last edited:

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Weight aside, I want the ones that won't bend easily. I know, I know, I've heard about the crumple affect instead of breaking something bigger, but all my a-arms I've bent, stock or Holz, have been on hits that I didn't think should've bent my arms. A couple yes :face-icon-small-win, but most no freaking way!! There.

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Nice comparison.
From reading other threads on here most say Z broz is stronger then Holz. The Pro has a exceptionally strong bulkhead and the Z broz will still bend/break before the bulkhead will.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Z-broz arms are strong no doubt...

The Holz arm dont give up anything in this area in my opinion... I've had both on my sleds and can attest the the quality and durability in both.

I belive that the Holz on the PRO has a bit of a tighter turning circle compared to the Z-broz.

550iq

Oct 7, 2008
Anchorage, Alaska
Does anyone have any commentary on the ride qualities of the different manufacturer's A-arms? We know that Team Polaro has a good set up, why go after market? Items that will remove an OEM A-arm will probably remove an aftermarket one as well, so what does an aftermarket A-arm get me? A bit of clearance on a Z Broz design, what else?

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Does anyone have any commentary on the ride qualities of the different manufacturer's A-arms? We know that Team Polaro has a good set up, why go after market? Items that will remove an OEM A-arm will probably remove an aftermarket one as well, so what does an aftermarket A-arm get me? A bit of clearance on a Z Broz design, what else?

I'm not so sure everyone would agree with the bold part.

IMO added strength is the short answer. Followed by a possible weight reduction. Varying stances for different riders' preferences, etc...

Anyone have the weight of the stock a arms they could share?

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Weight aside, I want the ones that won't bend easily. I know, I know, I've heard about the crumple affect instead of breaking something bigger, but all my a-arms I've bent, stock or Holz, have been on hits that I didn't think should've bent my arms. A couple yes :face-icon-small-win, but most no freaking way!! There.
What shocks are you running? I've done some stupid things on my HOLZ suspension and had no problems in three seasons. I run Evol X all around and believe the shocks have a lot to do with A-arm longevity. Obviously bottoming out the shock is seriously going to load any A-arm beyond design. When I had stock shocks I could thrash a-arms at will. Just wondering if that could be the difference.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
don't forget about CMX a-arms and spindles. they look preety high quality and are supposed to have reduced weight, steering effort, and turning radius.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
What shocks are you running? I've done some stupid things on my HOLZ suspension and had no problems in three seasons. I run Evol X all around and believe the shocks have a lot to do with A-arm longevity. Obviously bottoming out the shock is seriously going to load any A-arm beyond design. When I had stock shocks I could thrash a-arms at will. Just wondering if that could be the difference.

Fox Floats mostly

H
Dec 12, 2009
The set of zbroz arms I had delivered had an issue with the upper a-arm contacting the factory springs, sent them back without being used. The holtz set I got shortly thereafter looked good.

Last edited:
Premium Features