• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PART#1 STEERING SWING MOD!

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Ok, lets begin the process. part 1, teardown and fabricating the 2 pieces!

1. TAKE OFF HOOD, SIDES ETC.
2. TAKE OFF PIPE, (Y-PIPE REMOVAL MAKES IT EAISER BUT I DIDNT), ECU COVER AND ECU ITSELF. 2 SIDE PANELS FLARES ABOVE THE SHOCKS (2) SCREWS EACH AND 2 OF THE FOUR ARE THE ONES THAT HOLD THE ECU COVER ON!
3. NOW IT GETS FUN, DRILL OUT THE THREE RIVETS HOLDING THE SERVO MOTOR *** ON THE CROSS BAR. THEN TAKE OUT THE BAR ITSELF (TWO BOLTS WHICH ALOWS VISUAL OF THE THROTTLE BODIES AND LETS YOU REMOVE THE AIRBOX.
4. LOOSEN THE 2 CLAMPS HOLDING THE AIRBOX TO THROTTLE BODIES AND SCOOT IT FORWARD. THEN YOU NEED TO TAKE OUT THE THROTTLE BODIES. i TOOK OFF THE COOLANT HOSE ON BOTTOM RIGHT (FACING THE MOTOR) SO NOW I WILL HAVE TO RE BURP THE SYSTEM OF AIR BUBBLES? IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO GET IT OUT OF THE WAY. ALSO CUT THE 2 ZIP TIES HOLDING THE PLUGS AND UNPLUG. PULL THE FUEL LINE TOP LEFT AND THE OIL PUMP ARM IN THE MIDDLE BACK (POP OFF WITH PRY BAR) AND LEAVE THE OTHERS INTACT (HOSE BOTTOM LEFT AND PLUG BOTTOM LEFT). NOW LOOSEN THE 2 CLAMPS (BLACK PHILLIPS) HOLDING THE THROTTLE BODIES ON AND PULL THE WHOLE THING UP. I BUNGIED MINE TO THE HANDLE BARS.
5. NOW YOU CAN SEE WHAT WERE DOING! UP TILL NOW IT TOOK ME AN 1.0HR.
6. TAKE THE TWO BOLTS OUT HOLDING THE TIE RODS AND THE TWO SPINDLE TIE RODS SO YOU CAN SCOOT THEM OUT. DRILL OUT ALL THE RIVETS HOLDING RUBBER BOOTS ON W/ 3/16 BIT. I DIDNT PULL RODS OUT OF BOOTS JUST LEFT THEM HANGING THERE.
7, FABRICATION TIME. 1/8" THICK STEEL STRAP 2" WIDE AND A 5/16 BIT. (LOTS OF MEASURING)
8. YOU CAN SEE THE MEASURMENTS ON THE PIC AND I STILL NEED TO ROUND THE EDGES. MAKE 1 PERFECT PIECE AND CLAMP ONTO STRAP AND COPY THAT PIECE SO THEY ARE THE SAME! SEE YOU TOMORROW.

DSC00203.jpg DSC00209.jpg DSC00211.jpg DSC00213.jpg DSC00215.jpg DSC00221.jpg DSC00222.jpg DSC00227.jpg DSC00229.jpg DSC00236.jpg DSC00239.jpg DSC00252.jpg DSC00246.jpg DSC00243.jpg DSC00245.jpg THROTTLE  BODIE PIC.jpg BOLTS.jpg

Last edited:
E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
No, I wish it was my idea. geo came up with 3/4" which is the biggest part and my dealer has done 3. Rassmusen talked about it but its not mine for sure! GEOSWING MOD?

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Elvis 1280

I have a question for you. I have had the triangle bottom plate off and can see where the adapter plates will go. My question to you is, if a person un rivet's the side panels and pulls the rubber boots back. would it be possible to get the 2 bolts out of the steering joints without haveing to dismantle the top side? Just wondering, and looking for maybe a short cut.
thanks for the great detailed instuctions and photos.

ill watch for you answer. Rickm
you didnt mention haveing to modify the bulkhead with a BFH? ? ?

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I have a question for you. I have had the triangle bottom plate off and can see where the adapter plates will go. My question to you is, if a person un rivet's the side panels and pulls the rubber boots back. would it be possible to get the 2 bolts out of the steering joints without haveing to dismantle the top side? Just wondering, and looking for maybe a short cut.
thanks for the great detailed instuctions and photos.

ill watch for you answer. Rickm
you didnt mention haveing to modify the bulkhead with a BFH? ? ?

Thats what I plan to do, I also think geo did all his work through the side.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
looking for center to center for tie rods holes

I sent elvis a PM, I dont see the center to center measurment for the tie rod holes that need drilled in the new plate, I know you move the holes out 3/4 for new location but. I am missing the width measurement. Rickm

Is the 5/16 the drill bit size shown on the plate, or is it 5/16 in from edge where you drill the hole?

I guess im thinking he is showing the hole size?

Last edited:
G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
To me it looks like 1/34 center to center and the plate is 2" wide. Hole size should will just be the sized for the bolts.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
dont thing so

going west. if you lay out your 2" wide plate, and measure 1/34 center to center for you hole for the width on tie rod, and drill a 5/16 hole you wont have any material left on the out side of the hole. wont look like his photo.
rickm

I think hes is saying come in 5/16 inch from side and drill your holes for the width for tie rods.??????

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Center to Center

Will check toe, but need the holes in the new plate to match up with the steering arm that we are extending. thats the measurement we need. RickM

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Assuming that the dimensions of 2" by 1 3/4 are right for the size of the plate, then the center to center on the holes is 30mm or 1.181"

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Just measure the pic and ratio it out. It worked for all his other measurements so it should be pretty dang close.

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Ill get the measurment for the plate in 30 min. And trying to cut the bulkhead back with the airbox there is scary. There is so much metal dust and shavings that you would never get it out. I cut one side of the bulkhead today and have the sled masked off and have vacumed 8 times

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Elvis 1280 and Going West

I took the aluminum triangle cover off the belly pan, got my hand and a small piece of cardboard to use as a template. I pressed down on the bolt heads on the tie rod bolts. Removed the cardboard and measured the indentations.
It measures 30 MM like Going West mentioned above.

Now I need the info on what you have to do to the bulk head. It looks like a person can install the plates from the bottom side if you take off the rubber boots on tie rods.

Am I missing something on this Elvis 1280?????

Elvis on modifying the bulkhead, are you talking about the black triangle piece which is real close to the tie rod tube where the rubber boots are riveted on? if so could a person use a hole saw and cut out room for the tube ? When I look at it from under the sled I can see where the tie rod tube will hit when moved rearward 3/4 inch. Am i correct on what you have to do ? RickM

Last edited:
E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
who knows if they are watching? I dont have time to sit around to see if they do anyting about the problem. Problem is, it isnt a problem for 95 percent of people who own these. when your sidehilling something very, very steep for a good 50yds i need the skis out of my fing way so i am not fighting the sled. Even with the stock swing I can uturn sharper than my m? Its just for holding a sidehill, and I need it fixed now!

Premium Features