• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black tunnel & boards vs. plain alluminum, Better?

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
So i was about to drill some holes in the back of my running boards and the little flap, but decided to go out and ride to see if they were as bad at building up snow as everyone has said? This is how i came back to the truck, 22 mile ride (laugh if you want to but some pics are where i entered my riding area for the day) I had to stop and take pics cause video does no justice of steepness. down to the bottom and up and down and up and down. I needed to see if this thing would do what my M did. It sure did.

so basically i ran my sled as hard as I used to run my M and had it on its side most of the day or bashing little trees. I was trying to fill the boards and also see if snow was entering anywhere so i could fix it. It was 1 degree so the snow was fine and could enter anywhere. Looking at the pics you would think that the temp outside is why there is no snow buildup. NOPE my buddies 2 10' M's running boards were gone. You couldnt even stand on them so if you dont have a painted tunnel, get a wrap if you can. IT will help.

I did wrap my tunnel and the bad areas of snow buildup are in the end of the bumper hole (need to plug it somehow), and the worst was inside the can side. I am not bullshi**** you, I pulled out 10lbs of ice under the can. must be coming in the footwell and the little vent to let heat out on the bottom.

DSC00160.jpg DSC00161.jpg DSC00159.jpg DSC00162.jpg DSC00164.jpg DSC00167.jpg

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
My retro hold very little snow as well. However it did build up at the back were there are no holes and on that plate. It was much, much better then my brothers 12 sno pro.

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
I am pretty sure the back will get bad so i am doing the holes on the very back too. i am also looking to put a 3/4 hole next to your big toe on the front of the board or down under the foothold to the side of the big square.

H

Heypal

Nov 26, 2007
Paynesville, MN
Yes, a powder coated tunnel helps big time. My tunnel is coated where my buddies sleds are not. I always have clean boards, while the boys are kicking the crap out of thiers. I wish Cat would PC more sleds!

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
I'd agree... My powdercoated boards hold less snow than any of the raw ones I've owned. Not as little as plastic, but better than raw by a notable margin.

I am changing the subject bcl, and i am not daring to make a post but look at my track in the pics. I know you can appreciate porting mildly. one down the middle just like the rmk seems to be the best so far. I have done 2 wide (didnt like it) and 1 behind each paddle (worked good) but i had no snow in the skid and the 50 plugs were exactly 1.0 lbs rotating mass? And also you were right about the set up, it might not need anything done to the rear

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Elvis,

I noticed this. First time with just a single row? I've always been interested in porting to evacuate the snow from the skid, but never had he balls to port my claw. Those 1 inch holes? Hole saw? Best yet??

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
Elvis,

I noticed this. First time with just a single row? I've always been interested in porting to evacuate the snow from the skid, but never had he balls to port my claw. Those 1 inch holes? Hole saw? Best yet??

yes single row down the middle. I worked on my buddies pro rmk for 3 days and i was going to port mine untill saw his. All down the middle, Since the rmk can float better than any i figured i would just copy it. this will be the best yet, and staying behind the paddles is not a big deal, just not in the open area. buy the bdx port tool, it melts the hole closed and you dont need to torch it. just buy it.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
That's a heck of a lot simpler than going behind each paddle... if it works, I'm ALL for it!! I need to do both of the tracks right now, when I went from my 09 to my 11 I could see a difference in the snow in the track for sure (11 not being ported at all) I still feel the one behind each is the best way, but it always unnerved me doing something asymmetrical to the track.

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
That could be a great point bcl. On my 10' with behind each paddle holes, I swear I adjusted my track allingment every 5 rides. You and me both like loose tracks and maybe not having symetrical holes causes allingment issues?
The pro rmk has the hole 1/2 exposed behind the lug and my track looked perfect at the end of the day?

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Odd. I did that to both 09's & never had alignment issues... but it's also possible & just didn't look & didn't care!!!:face-icon-small-win Ignorance is bliss right??

I do check here & there, and never had an issue, the 153 was running 11-15 psi, so i'm pretty sure my concerns were unfounded, but still I always felt like some day there was gonna be some weird issue... never happened though.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--What works best, paint, anodize, or wrap. Wrap and/or paint seems like the easiest install.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
To prep for powdercoat do you just remove all attatchments to the rear tunnel(skid, track, fuel tank, exchanger, bumper, etc) then remove hood, etc and mask off the front of the sled?

Premium Features