• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro vs M8

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
looks like I'm going to enjoy my under powered pro rmk:face-icon-small-hap

That makes two of us. Probably a good thing they are underpowered, I would hate to see Cat go completely out of business!..............again.

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
thats cause he was scared to drop into that valley..snow..figured he might not be able to get back out....

I rode with a 12 XP that is overpowered, glad my pro is not. I am sure the XP was not set up right or the rider was not comfortable because I pulled on his skis 3 times. The only way this could be possible. He was following me twice and I followed him once. All three times I walked down to help him from my PRO.

^dragon700^

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2009
I live in boise Idaho.
Well the simple fact of the matter is that polaris is the best that there is. I ride a 2007 polaris dragon 700 and can ride with anybody no matter what they have. I can go any where its great for boon docking and climbing and trail riding. Its just an all around great sled i love polaris and wouldnt ever buy anything else. Just sayin.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
Not a cat guy anymore, yamaha turbos and now a couple Etecs,
This is what I see in the up hill runs.
old blown over tracks combined with new tracks.
Race 1 the poo seems to find a lot of tracked up snow, and we have all hit those when riding, it gives any sled that moment of traction to power it futher up the hill than one that stays in the fresh.
Race 2 the cat is sitting in fresh untracked snow and the poo is in a set of tracks taking off.
All I can ask about Race 3 is what happened to the poo, it was as far behind the cat as the cat was in the first 2.
I would like to see a video of all three doo,cat,poo in untracked snow
on a uphill pull.
All are good sleds that will have there shinning moment on the mountain,
that doesnt mean the other 2 are trash.

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
Old, overblown tracks? Kinda funny since we were the first ones there for the year!

I rode both in the untracked and it was easy to tell which one was on top of the snow.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ricks 32

Premium Member
Aug 26, 2008
Idaho
The Pro has 3 major advantages that make up for a mild motor.
1. Clutching. Most efficient clutching period. I believe the Polaris loses the least amount of power from the motor to the track vs Cat and Ski Doo.
2. Suspension. This skid flat works. When the Pro hits the gas it gets on the snow and moves forward quickly. When the Cat hits the gas it digs down, trenches and then eventually starts to plain on the snow. By the time the Cat starts to get on the snow the Pro is gone.
3. Weight.

The Cat needs a skid that will transfer in the deep snow. In a situation where both sleds are track poaching trying to punch to the top of a steep hill the HP of the cat may show up and give it an advantage. But in the deep fluff the advantages of the Pro are tough to beat.

I ride a 2010 TM8 and a strong '09 M1000 that's light. I ride with a bunch of Pro's and in the deep powder my M1000 doesn't have any advantage unless we are track poaching trying to break a trail over a steep climb.

Give the cat a few years to loose some weight and get a Holz's rear skid and then it may close the gap in the fluff.

Looks like 2012 is going to be a repeat of 2011 with the Pro as the sled to beat. They flat work in the deep snow and are a hoot to ride. Gotta love good competition b/c we all win when the manufacturers compete.

Good thing I kept all my Polaris tools. After the mess from '06 to '10 I may have to jump on another Polaris. I've loved the time on the M's though. Super fun sled but the bar has risen again. (unless someone can put an 1000 cat engine into a Pro :) )

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Ah! Come on, you make the Cat look so bad. If the polaris looks to good who will you sell your sled to if everyone owns one. Let them win one once in a while. NOT . lol.
Must be nice to be sledding already. Get all four brands out next time.

mtncat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2001
Wyoming
race 1--- 1/4-1/2 way up hill just to right of poo before the fresh cut track looks like windblown covered track? also if the poo is so dominant what happened in the third run, must be the cat was track poaching.
Have been around all three this season and have yet to see a poo in front of the new cat in fresh untracked up hill pull, and a toss up with the cat and Etec doo as to who gets the jump.

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
Old, overblown tracks? Kinda funny since we were the first ones there for the year!

I rode both in the untracked and it was easy to tell which one was on top of the snow.....

Thought maybe you missed this post.....

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
thats cause he was scared to drop into that valley..snow..figured he might not be able to get back out....
lmao..9 green reps off this post..1 red..wanna know who repped me red? nope wasnt snomobiler..he has more class then that..try fred w...he just cant stand me making fun of a doo..all in good fun fred...now go back to the doo doo area...

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Hahaha, love it, talk all you guys want i think the pro is a great chassis that polaris needed!

But... I have high-marked several pros this year im not going to get cocky and say my proclimb will smoke a pro but that has been the real world results on every ride i have been on this year. all im going to say is i would suggest staying humble....

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
I
Nov 26, 2007
Hahaha, love it, talk all you guys want i think the pro is a great chassis that polaris needed!

But... I have high-marked several pros this year im not going to get cocky and say my proclimb will smoke a pro but that has been the real world results on every ride i have been on this year. all im going to say is i would suggest staying humble....

-Aksnopro

I'd be willing to run my pro vs yours and document it. Interested?

Premium Features