• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

F-bomb track mod on the pro

P

purepolaris600

Aug 21, 2009
Elkader iowa
just trimmed the track on the pro very easy to do also the electric turkey carving knife is on sale at walmart for 8 bucks all i got to ride on sofar is grass but befor i did the mod when riding on the grass the track would just spin and spin know after doing the mod to my surpise it does not spin one bit it hooks up so well and hard that it jumps the drivers also i saved 1.2lbs off the track just if anyone was wondering great mod i can wait for snow. also i did not install any screws.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I've heard great things about this mod. I have thought about doing it because it not only hooks up better, but I was thinking it would make the ride a little nicer and perhaps even help with cooling(throw snow on at the top of the tunnel better)?

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
BH, this is a great mod. If you want a personal report, PM Beamslayer on here. I rode his sled last year with Rob's track mod an it rocked. Works great in the pow, and really shines in the more set up snow.

PP6, I would consider it a personal favor if you would try some punctuation and sentence structure. It would really make your posts alot easier to read. Thanks.

Bag

D
Oct 13, 2008
It makes since that it would work better in set up snow and hardpack. I however do have my doubts that it is as good in the fluff. I could be wrong though. All I know is that when I went from a 2.25" CE to a 2.5" CE ( with no other mods ) there was a big difference in deep snow performance. Just having a little trouble understanding how it could be as good in the powder. Would it not make sense to cut off another 1/8 or 1/4" off if it actually helped that much. I would about guarantee it will hook up even better on hardpack and set up snow. Not discounting it will work in some situations, just not mine.

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Correct, just trim the nubs off. There is some debate over whether with the 5.1 it's needful to place the screws or not. Probably depend on just how hard of snow you are looking for.
As to whether the track is 'as good' in powder trimed as compared to non trimed, I would doubt it also. A bigger bucket moves more sand. Period.
So, depending on where you primarily ride, it may or may not be an advantage for you. I would supose clutching comes into it as well, cause you still have to work that bigger bucket fast enough or the guy with the fast little bucket will kick your a**.
Exactly why I suggested talking to BeamSlayer. The guy is wicked smart on sledcraft and has direct, hands on experiance with the subject matter.
I on the other hand have a limited time on his sled with this mod while I futivly chased him and attempted to get my Pro back !! The dude can ride too!

Bag

Cascade Addiction

Lifetime Membership
Sep 21, 2011
WA Cascades
Correct, just trim the nubs off. There is some debate over whether with the 5.1 it's needful to place the screws or not. Probably depend on just how hard of snow you are looking for.
As to whether the track is 'as good' in powder trimed as compared to non trimed, I would doubt it also. A bigger bucket moves more sand. Period.
So, depending on where you primarily ride, it may or may not be an advantage for you. I would supose clutching comes into it as well, cause you still have to work that bigger bucket fast enough or the guy with the fast little bucket will kick your a**.
Exactly why I suggested talking to BeamSlayer. The guy is wicked smart on sledcraft and has direct, hands on experiance with the subject matter.
I on the other hand have a limited time on his sled with this mod while I futivly chased him and attempted to get my Pro back !! The dude can ride too!

Bag
The problem I see with the bigger bucket theory is that if your moving the bigger bucket fast enough, you need to have room for all that snow to go somewhere, and on the pro there is no room. I've been following F-Bombs research on this and I would have to agree with him, it is not a matter of moving more snow with a bigger track, it is about removing some of the congestion up front(creating more evacuation space) between track and tunnel so that more snow can be moved, which would probably result in more consistant track speeds with higher rpm's and help stiffen up the already weak tipped 5.1 track. I myself am still pondering the no loss of deep snow performance in my head, but it does make sense in theory and in real world conditions according to some. I just can't quite bring myself to do it yet though!

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
I'm with you pawpaw, I am making no claims to expertise on this. However, I rode Jim's sled in McCall last year in serious powder and it rocked. I'm not a little guy and we were in 2 to 5 feet of fluff and the sled moved well. It did not 'get up' on the snow as well as the Pro, ( what does? ) but with throttle control it got going and took me most anywhere I wanted and I'm not an expert rider.
It did get up and go as well as the new M8 we had with us, but we were going easy with it as it was brand new and in fairness had a timid rider aboard.
I am going to ride this sled some more in set yp snow before I decide whether to trim or not. Right now, I have zero complaints with this sled.

Bag

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
If your backhoe has unlimited power you would certainly want a bigger bucket....but I can scoop a lot more poop at the Snowest theoretical feedlot with a faster smaller backhoe because the power is limited.

Of course you all know I just make this stuff up. Don't really even ride sleds just enjoy messing with you guys. I'm really a maniacal computer guy that gets his jollies seeing if I can get you people to do crazy stuff. Some of you sheep are just too sharp for me! he he he

(I have no idea who that guy on the black PRO is that keeps proving my silly theories...I wish he'd stop as it almost makes me seem legit and that is not my goal) :becky:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
I wouldn't worry about that crazy dude on the sexy black sled Rob, we all know he's on a different level above us meer mortals, heck I've even heard that he can levitate that black sled up out of a hole! ( someone else's trench, he never actually gets stuck himself!)
;-P
D and I are gonna be at Mike's lodge the second week of Feb, maybe we can finally get that ride in.

Bag

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
..boy Bag don't know who that guy is...THIS guy gets stuck all the time! Luck has it a 420 lbs sled isn't too horrible to unstick! The secret performance tip here is to always hang out with strong people and buy lots of beer at dinner.

Trenches are my other performance secret....It's call the path of least resistance theory. The theory is my sled will always out perform yours if I follow in your track. Many will boo hoo this riding performance technique but I'm here to tell you it takes skills to stay in a 3 foot deep trench all day!

Feb in McCall? Sounds super...of course zero promises because I plan on winning the lottery prior to that and then YOU GUYS WON"T HEAR FROM ME EVER AGAIN! (as many can only hope) :becky:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Yeah, I've heard about the 'path of least resistance' and have even tried it a couple times until it turned straight up and I ran out of desire to stay in the trench!! :face-icon-small-win

Yep, can't wait to get back to BCL, wish I could live there. Last year we stayed 8 days and it never quit snowing!

I wish you luck with the lotto winnings, been working on that myself and have the same plan, except ya'll will get the occasional picture/letter from me detailing my latest adventure . . . .

I kinda' miss ya already . . .

Bag

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Thanks for all the comments Bagger.Have you ever thought about running for president.
As far as Robs track mod don't do it Spend the benjamin's on a new track ,D&R and some new drivers and you will make someone happy with your $$$.
I did it on my 07 dragon and it made a world of differents, you could even go down hills in control,before the mod you where on the gas on the brake and finally in reverse to get it to respond.I noticed a increase in rpms as well and I have yet to burn a belt from snow packing in front of the tunnel. I thought of buying a different track until I met Rob at the Boise show and talked awhile, in the end what did I have to loose by trying it.Thanks Rob you saved me a bunch of benjamin's. ( that will cost me )
I needed a track for my assault and was contiplating the peak until I talked to Chris at Carls and he said that I would need to change drivers to run that track or to run the PC and that the CE was allfull close to the tunnel.I liked how the track worked on my dragon so I purchaced a new 5.1 for half the price of a new aftermarket track and turkey slicer ( some people complained that the turkey was a little rubbery at thanksgivin )I just set there grinning thinging about playiny in the pow. In the end it is totaly up to you. There is alot of information on SW and there is a lot of BS on here also.
One of the best mods I have done was to take lessons from Amber. You can have the latest and greatest but if you do not have the knowledge than all is wasted.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Thanks for all the comments Bagger.Have you ever thought about running for president.
As far as Robs track mod do it don't Spend the benjamin's on a new track ,D&R and some new drivers and you will make someone happy with your $$$.

fixed it for ya. this is what you meant right? at least thats the jist of what i got from the rest of your post...?
:face-icon-small-coo

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
The only problem with my master long range financial plan is that I keep forgetting to buy a ticket!

TB that looks more like my type of writings. It was a nice dose of sarcasm to instill a point of view. LOVE IT

Looking very very forward to breaking bread and mopping it up with delicious beer with these guys! I'll try to hold off on winning the lottery until after Feb...because I try to be a man of my word! :face-icon-small-win

beamslayer

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Sorry bad attempt at sarcasem.
Please do win the lottery we can split it just tell me how much you spent on the ticket and I will reimburse you with my half .

Premium Features