• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone tried to fit the CAT front bumper guard on their M series sled?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Everytime I see a picture of this Arctic Cat "Sport Bumper" made for the F series, Z series and turbo sleds I think, man would that be nice to have on my sled sometimes when boondocking through the thick stuff.

Has anyone tried to istall one of these bumpers on a M series? If so, how far off are the holes and are they close enough to be adaptable to the M series sled? The first picture of the guard sure looks like an M series or a Crossfire to me.

http://psndealer.com/dealersite/images/kenssports/5639-624400.jpg

http://www.psndealer.com/powersportsdlr/images/ec0239/5639-310.jpg

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Wow, it looks like it's a brand new item from Cat. Retail is $189. I suppose a guy could buy one of these bumpers for right around $150.

I saw these bumpers on my buddy's Yamaha Nytro Mountains and wondered why they weren't available for our sleds. I guess they are now.

It comes in black, green and orange.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Not to piss in your wheaties.... but WHY?

Why would you want a metal bumper on the front of an M?

I could give you a stack of reasons why NOT... but I'm curious what improvement that you feel adding a chunk of metal to the front of the M would create?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I figured this was coming. :face-icon-small-ton

To boil it down, we don't all live in the wide open spaces.

When boondocking in many areas the going is tough with a lot of small brush and trees between the infrequent open areas. I know I have felt like a boat on plane many times as I rode over the top of brush (because it was the only route available) trying to get to a larger open area where a guy can climb. Some of these small trees are a little bigger than others and in some cases could warrant a metal bumper.

I'm not saying for sure I will get one but, I have seen several other sleds (mostly Yamaha) that have them on the front of their sleds to save their sleds from that one tree that was a little too big for the stock plastic front bumper to handle.

http://www.skinzprotectivegear.com/snowmobileproductah/bumpers.html

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/i...tail/727de576-02f1-42df-99f8-8b6ede5670d4.jpg

http://www.mccarthys-sales.com/Yamaha-FX-NYTRO-STYLIZED-FRONT-BUMPER-detail.htm?productId=17018795

M
Sep 18, 2009
Puyallup, WA
Not to piss in your wheaties.... but WHY?

Why would you want a metal bumper on the front of an M?

I could give you a stack of reasons why NOT... but I'm curious what improvement that you feel adding a chunk of metal to the front of the M would create?

when i seen the bumper come out in the catilog i considered getting one. then i thought to myself... if i'm buying a metal bumper to protect my sled, i must be a crappier rider than i thought! LOL.

i understand the riding through brush thing, but that is for ping-pong'ing off pop can or larger size trees. and if thats what your doing all day, might as well just ride in the parking lot and save yourself the hassle.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I get what you're saying... but when was the last time you were riding along in the brush... and you snapped the plastic bumper???

Imo, the plastic M bumper is by a good margin the best one out there. (ESPECIALLY compared to anything on the PC!!:face-icon-small-dis) and I can't see adding a chunk of metal to protect the bumper that already does a very good job of protecting itself.

We actually have a couple trees here in CO as well... just sayin:face-icon-small-win (at least ten of them)

If you want it, don't let my harassment keep you from it... I just don't understand the purpose that it would serve by adding something else to something that works well.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
In BC I ride nothing but trees. The stock plastic bumper is fantastically strong. On the M series, this metal bumper is only a fluff part. If you are going to be hitting objects hard enough to break the plastic bumper, then you will be hitting them hard enough to break your handle bars also, as you will be going over or through them.

Like was said earlier, you can waste your money on this cool jewelry as it is ultimately your choice. If I were you I would simply pick different lines with smaller trees to bash through as it will be cheaper for you in the long run. There is always a different line to be taken, always.

If you are looking for extra under belly protection for sliding over logs, I would recommend a float plate instead.

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
After hearing how strong you guys think the Cat front bumper is, I will pass on buying the aluminum front bumper as well. It appears to be a new option for the M series sleds and I just thought it might be something someone might like.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Its aluminum? LOL the first thing it touches, it will be dented and look crappy any way.

Spend your money on a TURBO Frostbite! These kitties climb over trees like nobodies business with a turbo! LOL

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I was considering it because I am afraid my M8 won't be as tough as my old Mountain Cat. Also glad to hear how tough the M bumper is.

In the three years I have owned my sled I have managed to write off 3 hoods and 3 nose cones plus some other parts and in my opinion if you add the aluminum bumper you are going to loose the cusioning from the plastic bumper and put all the force from the impact directly on the front frame wich could potentially be alot more expesive and harder to fix.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Problem with metal bumper is it will transmit force of impact into frame of sled where the plastic one will absorb more of it before allowing frame damage. I boondock and have tagged enough trees to know this, my stock bumper has been replaced and current one has a few stress marks. Can buy 2 stock bumpers for cost of one of those metal ones. JMO so no hard feelings.

Premium Features