• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air bubbles in oil feed line

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
I just talked with my dealer today. He mentioned talking to Cat on the seized up engine issues. Seems it is easy to have a air bubble in the oil line from assembly. Some of the dealers that have lost engines did not pre mix the first tank. Cat/dealer also recommended rolling the sled onto the right hand side and that would allow the air to work its way out of the line naturally, overnight (oil bleed screw is a pain in the arse). My sleds still in the garage, its -40 fing below right now:face-icon-small-sad

Don't think that is everyones issue but just something to look at...

Last edited:
C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
I just talked with my dealer today. He mentioned talking to Cat on the seized up engine issues. Seems it is easy to have a air bubble in the oil line from assembly. Some of the dealers that have lost engines did not pre mix the first tank. Cat/dealer also recommended rolling the sled onto the right hand side and that would allow the air to work its way out of the line naturally, overnight (oil bleed screw is a pain in the arse). My sleds still in the garage, its -40 fing below right now:face-icon-small-sad

Don't think that is everyones issue but just something to look at...

You roll it onto the right side? Wouldn't that push the bubble into the pump? Or am I thinking wrong? It is like 2:30 am... And how difficult will it be to just open the bleeder? Can you reach it from underneath, or not?

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
They said to the right... Also to have the first tank of fuel mixed (which my dealer had done 60:1 ish). I think the theory is to move the bubbles to the pump so that it will pass them quickly & with the tank premixed it won't cause a no oil conditon. The key here is dealer setup & pre mixing the tank. It may work to the left as well sending the bubbles back into tank. Also dealer said the bleed screw is a pain in the Arse haven't tried to remove it yet...

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I have a oil delete on my twisted turbo

premix is 40/1 which is 32 oz of oil per 10 gallons of gas

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
If the oil pump packs it in 100:1 will not save the engine. My buddy had a 2010 that had an oil pump failure, Cat replaced the entire motor, it's still a PITA to deal with. If it was me and I was hearing oil issues I would be inclined to pre-mix 60:1 or so...at least until I see the oil level dropping in the bottle.

C

Crusty82

Jan 27, 2010
Yes. Then i understand why people are using 60:1.

But then I don't understand why they recommend 100:1
Isn't this incase of air bubbles or problems with the oil injection?

If so the 100:1 won't save the engine.

Last edited:
B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yes. Then i understand why people are using 60:1.

But the i don't understand why they recommend 100:1
Isn't this incase of air bubbles or problems with the oil injection?

If so the 100:1 won't save the engine.

I think cat states 100:1 for extra oil to help lube new parts that haven't worn in yet, not for air bubbles in the oil line. The dealer has to do a better job when putting these together and follow the PDI to make sure the air is bleed out. JMOP.

T
Feb 8, 2010
Nelson, B.C.
I think cat states 100:1 for extra oil to help lube new parts that haven't worn in yet, not for air bubbles in the oil line. The dealer has to do a better job when putting these together and follow the PDI to make sure the air is bleed out. JMOP.

you will also notice that your manual states to run 100:1 pre-mix when temps drop below -20*....

S
This issue is nothing new: My dealer always has premix in the first tank of gas. I go back to the old days of Polaris Indy's and always did the premix. When the 700 RMK came out it was the first thing we done was to bleed the oil line from the pump to make sure no bubbles. We use to hold the oil pump lever wide open while the machine was runnning on the stand and choke on the smoke until we knew there was not any more air in the line. Some sleds would really need it done and some didn't need it at all. It is all in the setup and should not be overlooked and if so the premix is your insurance that you should not ruin a new motor.

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
This issue is nothing new: My dealer always has premix in the first tank of gas. I go back to the old days of Polaris Indy's and always did the premix. When the 700 RMK came out it was the first thing we done was to bleed the oil line from the pump to make sure no bubbles. We use to hold the oil pump lever wide open while the machine was runnning on the stand and choke on the smoke until we knew there was not any more air in the line. Some sleds would really need it done and some didn't need it at all. It is all in the setup and should not be overlooked and if so the premix is your insurance that you should not ruin a new motor.

Well for us Cat guys this is something new... Most dealers follow the Cat recomended 100:1 premix in the tank, well that is not enough if the oil injection is not giving the engine any oil or very limited amounts.

I believe it has something to do with the placement of the oil tank (distance & how low it is in the chassis). Just rough guess but there is a least 2 times the length of oil line now versus the M-series.

Last edited:
I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
I think I'm going to go home and give my dry sump oil pump, and its oil pressure sensor that prevents the engine from running with no oil, a nice big hug tonight.:face-icon-small-ton

And before you say that you need to bleed the oil line on the four strokes too, remember that unleas you do it correctly it won't run.

Last edited:
Premium Features