• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on the 2012, not impressed.

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
Took the sled out to Revelstoke for a break in ride. Put clean 91 fuel in it. Ran good all day. On the trail out (not on the pin), the gauge flashed on and off and the rpm dropped and shot back up. That was the only instance that happened that day.

Next morning, start the sled up, rpm go up and down and gauge flashes. Try to put the sled in reverse, and the reverse does not work. Pull the sled off the truck get dressed and fire it back up. Now it won't start unless you hold the throttle open partially, and it will not idle just dies and the yellow engine light flashes briefly before it dies.

I thought maybe something had gotten wet or froze, checked all connections, everything was tight and looked good. I had hoped after putting some miles on and drying out the engine compartment if it was a moisture issue it would rectify itself. Not the case, the sled acted the same way all day long. Also on the way out going down the trail it seemed for maybe half mile that it was erratic on the rpms, almost like the map wasn't adjusting as the altitude dropped.

It may be something minor but to say the least I'm pretty aggravated considering I have a brand new sled that won't idle or go in reverse.

Thoughts?

M
Nov 28, 2007
or
check the plug going into the computer behind the oil res. seem to remember its the big black plug. i know on a lot of the 11's this plug was not connected all the way, as was mine. mine did about the same thing as yours, luckily it was one of the first things i checked, gave it a quick yank and it came right apart. is hard to get it all the way on, push it in until it clicks...

S

sled-fiend

Nov 27, 2006
Victoria, BC
www.raintek.ca
check the plug going into the computer behind the oil res. seem to remember its the big black plug. i know on a lot of the 11's this plug was not connected all the way, as was mine. mine did about the same thing as yours, luckily it was one of the first things i checked, gave it a quick yank and it came right apart. is hard to get it all the way on, push it in until it clicks...

Will check asap thx

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
That sucks for you!
you also Might try new plugs.
The dealers Run Them with oilers set wide open.
Plus the first tank should have oil in it too.
And as stated above check throttle free play.
Reverse did not work because the sled wasn't idling at the correct speed
if you can hold the rpms to 1600 it should work.
Good luck Hope nothing Major.
mike

B

Bull

Jan 20, 2004
colorado
Good luck Hope nothing Major.
mike

even worse, hope nothing General........

sorry mike, couldn't help myself :face-icon-small-hap

i know it is frustrating on a spendy new thread, but as had been said, it will likely be one of the quick fixes mentioned. if it turns out to be TPS, i would have a polite conversation with the head of the dealership. that is a checklist item for them on delivery.

Last edited:

Ephratafarmer

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ephrata, Wa
Sorry about your sled, hope ya get her fixed quick and easy. Do ya mine telling what the Revy snow was like??? Thanks

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. my assaults are running great

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
I was in Revy this weekend breaking in my new 2012 as well, sled was great for me. There was one 2011 that was having issues like yours as well, turned out he had put a riser on his sled and his throttle cable was too tight.

Thought I'd share for others too!

L
Jan 29, 2010
like others helped me with my sled a couple of weeks ago, Your TPS sensor probbably does not nead to be realigned, just pull the plug and dry it out.
They seem to come zip tied around the plug werid, it pulls the oring to the side, it gets mositure in it and your motor wont run right, i had many of the same problems as you, warning is it a PITA to get to, but get to it, cut that tie strap and pull the plug, there is a button on the back of the plug to release it, let it dry out good, plug it back in and see what happenes.

mike taylor

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
pow Country CO
like others helped me with my sled a couple of weeks ago, Your TPS sensor probbably does not nead to be realigned, just pull the plug and dry it out.
They seem to come zip tied around the plug werid, it pulls the oring to the side, it gets mositure in it and your motor wont run right, i had many of the same problems as you, warning is it a PITA to get to, but get to it, cut that tie strap and pull the plug, there is a button on the back of the plug to release it, let it dry out good, plug it back in and see what happenes.

I agree
Very rare on the tps to be out. check all things at home.
did you add risers,hand guards,have the hood off?
it gotta be somthing simple it's just a matter of finding it.
And I know you Should not have to.
80% of all electrical issues are plug in points.

Bull.
its all good I KNOW it is nothing Major.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Do they still have the throttle safety switch? Sounds like throttle cable is slack if giving it a little throttle fixes it.?.or just getting ice buildup on the flapper.??

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Do they still have the throttle safety switch? Sounds like throttle cable is slack if giving it a little throttle fixes it.?.or just getting ice buildup on the flapper.??

Yes.
Yes.
Possible.

Definately sounds like a misadjusted t-cable. Common symptoms when this happens. Although, the C.E light coming on is interesting unless the ECM is now watching and reporting on the idle switch on the Pro's. This didn't happen on Dragons with misadjusted throttle cables.

If not the cable, then a TPS voltage baseline and idle voltage and sweep should be done.

P

prosledder

Nov 26, 2007
Boone, Iowa
I was in Revy this weekend breaking in my new 2012 as well, sled was great for me. There was one 2011 that was having issues like yours as well, turned out he had put a riser on his sled and his throttle cable was too tight.

Thought I'd share for others too!

Exaclty what happened to me after switching bar setups...sled wouldn't idle down therefore it wouldn't go in reverse. Turned out throttle cable was a bit to tight.

Premium Features