• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Float 2 Upgrade

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
Well it's time for a rebuild on my factory floats, just wondering how many of you have done the float 2 conversion? And more so how many of you would do it again? I have never ridden the float 2's but i hear it is a huge improvement. I'm also thinking about doing the burandt upgrade to the rear.

J

Jordo

Nov 3, 2009
Stillwater,MN
The Burandt Rear Shock Kit is awesome bc Now I have the soft shock for trail riding out to the play ground and then when im doing the jumping in the Mountains its stiffer and i dont bottom it out as much. Its alot stiffer!

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
there is a difference int he burandt rear shock compared to stock. my bro had it done, i was getting bounced around lot more than he was on the trail...

not sure about the fronts, sorry

M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
I can't give you any insight to the Float 2 upgrade cause I did the Evol upgrade to my Floats. They should be back by the weekend!!

But, I also did the Burandt upgrade and it was hands down the best money that I spent on mine last year.... I don't know how anybody could ride that thing stock??? I could bounce on it all day and not budge the rear suspension. Do yourself a favor and at the least make sure to do the burandt in the rear!! my .02

M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
If they are the standard floats you will get more benefits from a Float-2 upgrade than from the EVOL upgrade.

Negative air spring/valving/piston are some of the benefits that is not included in the EVOL kit.

This may be true, but it will still be a nice improvement over the stock floats....I will tell you in a few weeks......

northof40

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Saskatchewan
If they are the standard floats you will get more benefits from a Float-2 upgrade than from the EVOL upgrade.

Negative air spring/valving/piston are some of the benefits that is not included in the EVOL kit.

They are the standard floats (stock on an 09 sno pro), thats why i was leaning towards the 2's.

What is the price tag on doing Float 2 upgrade?

The float 2 upgrade is $375 (canada) from Nextech Industries in Edmonton. It is the same price as the Burandt upgrade

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Has anyone pulled their float shock apart and modified it themselves for better damping?

Seems like it would be similar to the suspesion on a motorcycle where you could enlarge the damper hole/s a little and/or use lighter/thinner oil.

I know it wouldn't work as well as the Burandt upgrade but it would be a lot less money and it could be fun. Wouldn't take much to improve the stock shock.

M

M6johnny

Dec 4, 2007
Brookings SD
I got my shocks back on my sled today.... I think that they have a much better feel on the initial compression compared to the stock floats. This is what I was looking for because the stock floats were so hard on the initial compression and now they have a softer feel. I can't wait to dial them in on some snow!!!!!!!!!!!!

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
Mountainhorse is correct. Do the float 2 upgrade. I did the evol upgrade
without the float 2 upgrade. It was an improvement, but not quite what I
was looking for, so I had my shock guy do the float 2 upgrade as well. All
I can say is it is amazing. Super responsive front end not heavy at all.
On an 09 m8 you will lose a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of travel, but not a big deal.

Gas shock repair did mine. Awesome turn around time.

J
Sep 12, 2008
Almont, Co.
Yes, and no, on that one mountainhorse. I have $475 in mine still $550 to
go on the new evol R. Guess it depends on the pocketbook at the time.

I do wish however, I would have pulled the trigger on the evol r, as I was not aware at the time I was not getting a true evol shock.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
J...

Isn't the cost on both upgrades (Float to Float2 + Evol ) north of $600?

You can sell a set of floats for $300 usally... That is $900 together that you could put towards a new set.

Last edited:
W

W A O

Nov 3, 2009
WEST JORDON UT
Float to a float 2

Just had Andy do my shocks to a Float 2 and I think it was 110 a shock for the kit and oil and 25 a shock for labor then if your shaft was good he gave you a credit back of 15 each on them or about that so total was around 230.00 for the job. Had him do my back shocks as well and did an upgrade on them to. Total was $ 364.00 and that was shiping and insurance. that was $14.00 more then the other guy for just the float 2 upgrade, if nothing was bent or broken. And oh yea I had a bent cap on one shock that was 25 bucks as well.
Call Andy Great Guy and perfect service and fast sent them to him on monday and had them back and installed on saturday.:becky:

Premium Features