• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

18.5 C to C Fox Evol X om Pro Rmk? Will it fit?

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Got a buddy of mine whos selling his Brand new evol x shocks for cheap, they are made for xp and nytro, but I was wondering if they would fit my Pro Rmk. I Think the stock pro rmk shocks are 17.something, but will these fit even if they are almost 1inch longer? Or will they mess up the whole geometri of the sled?

Need answear quick since alot og people are interested.

Thanks

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Nope wont work at all. What's his number? I need a set for my pro! Lol. I ran 18.5s on my stock dragon and had no issues. Some will say you will but you wont. Run em.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Ahh great! Just the answer I was hoping for! :D

Hope there will be a noticable difference :p

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
there will be.... FYI, it may take you a while to get them dialed in, and make sure you bleed the main chamber when you install them, then put it back to pressure.

Best shock i have ever been around!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There is more to this story than meets the eye.. and more than one point of view.

IMO...Do not run a 18.5" shock on an RMK... AND it will not be valved for your application. Even with the rebound and DSC adjusters. The part numbers for an X-EVOL are diff for a Nytro and XP.

Here is my reply to Clarke's point of view from another thread in general forum
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231028

i have been running 19" fox EVOls on the stock a-arms on my dragon (18) for a season and after a whole day of dialing them in, they are awesome! Anywhere from boondocking, trail riding, to jumping 100ft+. No issues what so ever.

From the other thread that we discussed this topic...
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/forum.vb/picture.php?albumid=1821&pictureid=19321

With that long of shock, you are also not getting full travel on the 40" suspension..

From what i was told from the guy who bought the shocks (has been king of kings at Jackson) was that you don't have to have the exact perfect length shock. He told me just to deflate the shocks when installing them, and then pump them up once installed till you get the desired feal for them.

First of all... this is all meant to try to be helpful and to discuss the topic...please do not take it in any other way.

If that is what works for you... stick with it. (sincerely)

Here are my thoughts on this for what it is worth.

Something to ponder, but definitely just IMO.

If you can't get the shock into the suspension when it is pumped up... something is wrong and the shock would be trying to overextend the suspension when you deflate to install and "pump-up".

RMSHA sleds are generally low mileage sleds that get well maintained and are checked for cracks etc. Also, their setups are very specific for the needs on a hill climb course. Most riders are not the best technicians...some are though, to be fair.

It is sometimes possible for someone selling the shocks to tell you "Everything works this way...dont worry".... when sometimes this is not the optimal setup you think you are getting.

If that is the type of riding (RMSHA) that you are doing.. then this should be the type of advice you should seek.

There are a couple of problems that can happen with too long of a shock.

1) The ball joint is over rotated when extended fully. This full extension happens a lot when you are riding the sled, anytime you go over a bump or thru the pow or climbing jumping. This binds up the steering when the front is extended, and places a lot of leverage and stress on the ball and end of the A-Arm... This leads to premature wear on the ball and socket and can cause cracks in the A-Arms.

I'm helping my neighbor with his 2010 Dragon 800..... on the stand at a his house right now. He got a set of shocks from a 2010 Assault (that swapped out to Floats). With the weight off the sled, the steering binds slightly and is difficult to turn... and the lower ball joints are maxed out. The ride height (which should be around 9"-9.5") is now on around 11".

2) With longer shocks, ride height is not correct which will give you higher steering effort and not work in harmony with the rear skid as well.

With the correct ride height AND the proper pressures/valving... the sled handles better.

As an example... An 18" extended length EVOL-X with the identical pressures and settings of a 17" Evol-X shock...the 18" shock on the same sled would have a higher ride height than the 17".

To get the ride height correct on the 18" shock..you would have to drop the pressure in the main chamber and try to compensate for a softer ride by increasing the compression setting and dropping the rebound adjutment... but the end result is different since spring forces/rates do not equate directly with compression and rebound settings... PLUS you would still have the suspension extension/binding issues whenever the front of the sled is unloaded (like when you gas the sled or go over any thing etc)... All of these get you away from ideal balance in the sled.

A wider front end uses a longer shock... a narrower front end uses a shorter shock.... unless the A-Arms are specifically made to use that shock (as in the Timbersled 38" wide front end... it uses the stock RMK length shocks)

The front and rear suspensions have to work as a system...together.

I talked with Ryan Zolinger about this at Jackson just this year, at length, as well as Max from TCP, Allen Mangum from Timbersled and Mark Holz on other occasions as well. All agreed that the correct length shock just flat works better.

Here is a quote from the HRP instructions... all the suspension mfgs that I've talked to agree with this.
HOLZ RACING PRODUCTS:
Proper front ride height is crucial to the proper performance of your rear suspension. Before initial set-up or subsequent tuning of any rear suspension component you must ensure proper front ride height. For proper measurement of the front ride height, the sled must be on level ground—ideally a cement shop floor or driveway. Front ride height can be measured at the chassis where the lower a-arm attaches. Before taking a measurement, load the front of the sled and then allow it to spring back to its neutral position. Ride height measurement should be between 9 and 9 ½ inches.

-Higher is not better. Contrary to popular belief, raising the front end of your sled more than what is specified will actually hinder the performance of your Holz rear suspension.

This would be true for the Mtn Tamer... EZ-Ride...Alpha-X...Stock...K-Mod... M-10 and others.

attachment.php

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Another test, after you purchase the correct sized Stainless Steel inserts for the mounting eyes on these new 18.5" shocks is to jack up the front of the sled till both the skis are off the ground and check what the steering effort is compared to the stock.

I know what my results were with this test, but you should check with your PRO RMK.

Great shocks BTW... I have them on one of my sleds... lots of adjustments BUT you will need to learn how they work and take the time to set them up (tune them)... you can just as easily end up with a shock that does not work as well as the stock shocks if you don't take the time needed to learn and then adjust them.

Last edited:

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
there will be.... FYI, it may take you a while to get them dialed in, and make sure you bleed the main chamber when you install them, then put it back to pressure.

Best shock i have ever been around!

Why do I need to bleed them before? Mounted them tonight just fine without bleeding them. Didnt get the pump with the shocks so I need to purchase one later.

Was a little tricky to mount, but got it in there! :)

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
I messured the height of the sled before removing the stock, and after mounting the Evols ride height is the same before and after. But I had to compress them by hand to get them into the mounting brackets.

Didnt have to change the eyes out, both bolt and the width fitted perfect. Checked the part number and they are actully made for a Honda trx450 atv. So im a little sceptical about that.

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
I think you might end up having so little pressure in your main chamber that it effects the performance of the shock.

Ski pressure similar to the IQR sleds is my guess if you run the recommended pressure in the main chamber.

But hey, if you got it cheap it is worth a shot! looking forward to hear how it works out for you.

I run this shock on two of my sleds, one of the best mods I have ever done.

Since you didnt get the pump, I guess theres a chance you didnt get the user manual either, so heres a link for ya:

https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/...fea2-4a4d-9113-60d45f149823/X EVOL Manual.pdf

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
i am trying to get thease to fit... so far im not having any luck.

attachment.php

and hear is a pic i took in response to mh's post. IMO, i put on about 700 miles of jumping and boondocking with that same set up on my rmk before i went to the IQR style a-arms. I thought it was awsome and i noticed no adverse affects.

EDIT; please note that mh is correct about it lifting the front of the sled up

attachment.php

king shocks.jpg shock for MH.jpg

Last edited:

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
I think you might end up having so little pressure in your main chamber that it effects the performance of the shock.

Ski pressure similar to the IQR sleds is my guess if you run the recommended pressure in the main chamber.

But hey, if you got it cheap it is worth a shot! looking forward to hear how it works out for you.

I run this shock on two of my sleds, one of the best mods I have ever done.

Since you didnt get the pump, I guess theres a chance you didnt get the user manual either, so heres a link for ya:

https://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/...fea2-4a4d-9113-60d45f149823/X EVOL Manual.pdf

Decided not to buy them afterall, and put the money in some new shocks that will fit my machine. :)
They turned up to be 2.5inches longer than my stock ones, and thats to much I belive.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Decided not to buy them afterall, and put the money in some new shocks that will fit my machine. :)
They turned up to be 2.5inches longer than my stock ones, and thats to much I belive.

pm me details please. if they are still for sale

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
They are located in Norway, so I doubt he's willing to send them to you, and I don't think the shipping would be cheap either. :/

Premium Features