• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Electrical Installs - Who has done their own??

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Good thread on furnace installs, so figured some folks might want ideas on installing their own lights, switches, outlets, accessories, etc... in their enclosed trailers. I have an electrician buddy who is helping me with my gooseneck, but want to know what everyone has done with their own systems. 110V or 12V doesn't matter, it's all good info.

Post up any pics, ideas, tutorials of anything you did to add electrical stuff in your trailer. Here's a list of what I will be adding:

5 - 4' fluorescent lights and 4 outlets in shop area
2 - 4' fluorescent lights and 2 outlets in sleeping quarters
Twistlock flush mount shore-power connection
Re-wire the exterior halogens
Possibly add a couple reverse/auxiliary lights in the back

I'll let my buddy figure out the panel setup so I don't fry everything when the power is on.

racer

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I haven't, but plan on it very shortly. The last trailer I had was already pre-wired with a ship to shore connector for the generator as well as a seperate 30amp plug in for normal 110. It has outlets on each wall, 6 flourescent cold weather lights and I added many other accessories.

The trailer I have now has none of that so I went and ordered the shore connector for my generator, a 2000w Honda generator, Suburban 35k btu furnace, RV style converter and will be ripping the walls apart to start installing all of this probably next weekend.

Still trying to figure out how to get the 17" wide furnace in between my 16" "studs".

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
heater install

Check out the Heater install thread. There are alot of ideas on installing your heater.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My dad and I wired my race car trailer.

Plenty of power on the workbench:
IMG_3691.jpg

Power connection for a battery maintainer for 12v battery down low:
IMG_3692.jpg

You have to have a beer fridge:
IMG_3693.jpg

7x4 foot fluorescents with electronic ballasts and high output lamps in tamperproof and gasketed fixtures:
IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

We also put 2 outlets at the rear of the trailer and 2 on the outside. I am going to add in some halogens on the outside and call it a done deal.

I used a stainless 30amp Marinco shore outlet on the outside of the trailer with a deep PVC box on thew back of it, up to a 4 circuit panel.

Hope this helps!

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
7x4 foot fluorescents with electronic ballasts and high output lamps in tamperproof and gasketed fixtures:

We also put 2 outlets at the rear of the trailer and 2 on the outside. I am going to add in some halogens on the outside and call it a done deal.

I used a stainless 30amp Marinco shore outlet on the outside of the trailer with a deep PVC box on thew back of it, up to a 4 circuit panel.

Hope this helps!

Can you give me some info on what panel you have exactly?? Would really like to wire it in similar to a 50A rv setup, but will most likely be stuck going the 30A route since I don't have that big of a generator setup anyway. Right now I don't have the need for 50A, but always planning for the future. We have used those H/O fluorescents on other stuff and man did they light the place up. Your trailer is basically the setup I am going for minus the more expensive lights. My dad has a friend lined up to install our LP furnace, so I will let him do the 12V side of things. There is already a pretty good system for that with a few lights, so we can still see things if the 110 system isn't running. Just have to find a new place for the LP tank because it is sitting inside right now in the cavity going up to the gooseneck. Really wishing I had the money to drop into a couple quiet Honda generators or the super quiet Onan ones. In due time I guess.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It's nothing fancy, has a spot for 4 Federal breakers. I don't have any 220 in this panel if that's what you're getting at. I have no use for that much power.

I got the lights and panel for free from a business that was throwing it all out, they just needed to be cleaned up. I would have never spent the $$ on these fixtures for what I'm using it for.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
I see. Thanks. Yeah, those sealed lights are a spendy item, but that's sweet you got them the way you did. I definitely don't need 220, but the way a 50A is wired for RV you basically have one line coming in that is split into 2 circuits IIRC. Lights and power for tools, laptop, heaters, etc... is all I am aiming for right now. Sick of using the dome light and a single halogen to work on sleds during races. At least the stereo rattles the walls while I'm tinkerin in the dark lol.

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Flouroescent Lights - Trailers

Has anyone ever had any trouble with the jarring and bouncing of the trailer affecting thier flourescent lights?

Our electrician at work thought that campers purposefully stay away from them.

Anyone seen a good LED alternative? He mentioned that you can get 4' T8 LED's but then why buy the flourexcent fixture with the ballast, just to throw the ballast away?

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
Has anyone ever had any trouble with the jarring and bouncing of the trailer affecting thier flourescent lights?

Our electrician at work thought that campers purposefully stay away from them.

Anyone seen a good LED alternative?
He mentioned that you can get 4' T8 LED's but then why buy the flourexcent fixture with the ballast, just to throw the ballast away?

Yes.. TruckLite makes them

You can get 2' 4' even longer too..

The 4' ones only draw 12v at .7 amps!!!

And BRIGHT!!

Kinda Spendy.. though

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Anymore thoughts on lighting Ideas?

Cyclops has an entire selection of High powered 12v LEds that barley draw any power, since I switched our Toy hauler to LED, I run a single battery and have never been left in the dark.Florescent lights that require no ballast or fixture, work lights for Exterior and interior. We have been selling these to Commercial fishermen in AK, They know what benefits the Lifetime warrantied LEDs offer.These are not the low end LEds your used to seeing, extremely bright and durrable... We also offer a snowest discount..
http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/?page=categories&id=103

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
Almost walked out of Menards with about $400 worth of flourescent lighting for my trailer the other day, added up the wattage and decided to put them back and search for an LED alternative.

Just learned of the LED tube lights for the flourescent fixtures, I see you pull the ballasts? Does that mean you can use just the cheap run of the mill fixtures and install the tubes in them? Snowest discount... I'll be calling..

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Almost walked out of Menards with about $400 worth of flourescent lighting for my trailer the other day, added up the wattage and decided to put them back and search for an LED alternative.

Just learned of the LED tube lights for the flourescent fixtures, I see you pull the ballasts? Does that mean you can use just the cheap run of the mill fixtures and install the tubes in them? Snowest discount... I'll be calling..

Thanks For the Order Jsledder.
We dont use the fluorescent fixtures at all. Our LED light are directional unlike common tube lights, they are made from alu. and can be mounted in any position. They where put into severe duty this last season in many Bristol bay commercial fishing boats, nothing but stellar reports on performance and energy savings.You should have yours mid week
Let us all know what you think..

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
Well, when I do place an order, you can thank me then...:face-icon-small-win

Someone else gets credit for that one though, I haven't had much time to focus on lights, when I do.... I'll be sure and give you a call.

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Well, when I do place an order, you can thank me then...:face-icon-small-win

Someone else gets credit for that one though, I haven't had much time to focus on lights, when I do.... I'll be sure and give you a call.

Sorry, Ive mistaken you for another.:noidea:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Update on progress

Here's a quick rundown of what I've done so far. Basically rigged a 60A panel for 2 circuits to be fed by a 30A shore power line. I ran 4 lights in the shop, but will probably add a 5th up front to give the cabinets/counter top a good bit of light. I need to add a switch so I they don't have to be controlled straight from the breaker. I also ran a line from a junction box down to an single just to get started. Up front I ran a line to 2 more 4' lights that should be way more than enough to light up the living quarters. It has a single switch that controls them so I don't have to flip the breaker for power. Didn't have enough time to get the line run for the outlets. For the shore power I got the Marinco 30A shore power inlet and an 25' power cord (30A with Twist-lok housing). I will have to use a 30A to 20A dogbone since the genny doesn't have a 30A power source. Or just use the 30A to 15A adapter that I use on the camper for now. Everything checked out fine, and hopefully the rest will be done in time for racing. Either way it will be better than stringing extension cords all over and only have a halogen to light everything up. :face-icon-small-hap

Basic idea for how the panel was set up.
Trailer110VPanel.jpg

Finally some good lighting (now that I can actually see things, this pig needs a good wash :O )
IMG-20111203-00197.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features