• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Evolution of Roxy - 2009 Nytro MTX Build

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Here we go! I figured I would have some fun during the summer and show you guys my "member sled build". I pay for my own college tuition/housing/food so the sled and all modifications have been done on a budget friendly mind set. I hope yall get a kick out of this!

The whole thought process behind this build is to take a Nytro and make it the best that it can be with the least amount of money and no forced induction. I want to see if I can make a great powder/tree bashing snowmobile that will last a long time and not break down on me :)

Roxy 1
A 2003 Summit Highmark X

Roxy 2.0
A 2009 Yamaha Nytro MTX 153 I bought at a great price. It was a holdover that I purchased in March 2010 and I rode it 600 miles from then until June 2010. The only modification it had on it at that time was a Hartman custom clutch kit.

Roxy 2.1
-Installed BDX 2-wheel kit
-Installed a AAEN header and exhaust
-Installed a $7 turnout exhaust tip from Checker
-Installed a 162 Attack 20 track
-Installed used rail extensions from Phillsummers21
-Installed graphite hifax and Ice Scratchers
-Installed a Craigerbuilt gas can thingy
-Installed 19t top sprocket

-Removed all unnecessary idler wheels
-Removed hood foam
-Removed windshield

IMAG0045.jpg IMAG0046.jpg IMAG0034.jpg IMAG0047.jpg IMAG0048.jpg IMAG0056.jpg 55322_463770143197_511948197_5562507_8079161_o.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Roxy 2.2
I totaled my sled. It was 11pm at night, I was riding with a bunch of friends on a night ride and decided to climb a VERY steep shale slide that is really fun to climb...during the day. Because the sun had already set the hill was straight ice, but all of the adrenaline coursing through my veins numbed my logic. I got as much of a run at the hill as possible without crashing and made it about 20 feet from the top. Even though my track was doing 60+mph I was moving backwards...FAST. I hit the eject button and slid to the bottom of the hill while I watched my sled end over end to the bottom. I ended up burning a hole in my brand new Motorfist bibs I was sliding so fast! I got to the bottom and rode the sled out. I felt like I had just lost my best friend! When I got back to my apartment I analyzed the damage and started to rebuild. I don't think a lot of people can say that they have done a tunnel swap in an apartment stairwell by themselves in a weekend!:face-icon-small-ton haha

Mods-
-Installed Fox Float 2 front shocks
-Installed a used stock Nytro tunnel ---all with a hand rivet gun and OFT's OEM Yamaha rivets...not fun!
-Installed used Ski-Doo handlebars

-Removed Hartman clutch kit and run an Arctic Cat yellow secondary spring, stock helix, BWB primary, 14.5 rollers and loaded weights

These simple things allowed me to finish riding the rest of the season but I knew I needed to run through my sled during the summer and fix EVERYTHING that broke.

IMAG0039.jpg IMAG0040.jpg IMAG0049.jpg IMAG0050.jpg IMAG0053.jpg IMAG0054.jpg IMAG0055.jpg IMAG0109.jpg IMAG0069.jpg IMAG0100.jpg IMAG0101.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Roxy 2.3
I quickly found out that the used tunnel I bought had abused running boards that bent very quickly after initial installation. I have seen guys use Arctic Cat style Running board trim and tunnel gussets to reinforce the running boards. I also used this chance to trim up the Cadillac style running boards on the 08/09 nytros, so that it didn't run back as far and hang up on the snow.

-Installed Arctic Cat running board stiffener
-Installed Arctic Cat tunnel gussets
-Installed Ski Doo XP rear bumper
-Installed RSI handlebars, hand warmers, and grips
-Installed PowerMadd throttle cable extension

IMAG0104.jpg IMAG0105.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Roxy 2.4
This is where I'm at right now. I have ordered a bunch of parts to begin building Roxy 2.4.
Parts ordered so far:
OFT relocator
OFT tether & Jacobsen R.O.V
OFT Big Nutz rear Axle- BDX 2-wheel axle was a joke so I'm trying this one
Skinz Air Frame Running boards
Upgrading Fox Float 2's to Fox Evol's
18t top sprocket
Ulmer Racing K&N Intake kit
New AAEN header--the wreck ruined mine

-I need new A-Arms but I can't afford the skinz kit and want to see what ZBroz comes out with so I will probably just find some stock ones for cheap.

-Eliminating the front headlight and replacing it with a VERY light LED light I found at home depot for 15 bucks. I figure I will just carry this in my backpack and use it when I need it.

-Relocating the Display to the riser

-Modifying the Instrument Panel to act as a vent

-Relocating battery and probably replacing with a lighter one

-Triming my 2.25" attack 20 to 2" and adding traction screws. This was suggested to me by Throttle Cable and probably would have saved my bacon when I totaled my sled. Hindsight right?

-Removing any unnecessary trim/plastic

-Removing OEM parking brake and rigging up a way to allow the regular brake to act as a parking brake when necessary.

IMAG0157.jpg IMAG0160.jpg IMAG0161.jpg IMAG0162.jpg IMAG0163.jpg

Last edited:

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Holy jumpin!!!!!!!! Good job dude. Not many would take that on with out a proper garage. Any your fix in stuff in a stairwell. Well done.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Thanks for the kind words guys! Obviously a tunnel swap isn't something that I wanted to do in a stairwell...Luckily this summer I moved into a new apartment with a 2 car garage.

-Updates on Roxy-
I've decided to get the tunnel and rails powder coated black. I have a friend who owns a paint shop and says he can do it for next to nothing.

This time when I put the tunnel on I'm going to have to figure out some way I can use an air rivet gun. I don't know if my forearms can go through that again....I couldn't hold a cup for a week!! ;)

I'm going to hold off on powder coating the A-arms because I feel I will replace them sooner rather than later anyway.

Shocks have been sent off to OFT Racing to be upgraded to the Evol's.

Will keep this thread updated as I go along.

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Pulled the skid out and got the tunnel off. This goes by a lot faster the second time you do it...

Going to cut the tunnel for the air frame running boards before it gets sent to powder coat.

Removed the tunnel cooler and I'm headed to Lowe's/home depot to find a U bend hose connecter to replace it with. This is supposed to drop 6-7lbs (cooler+coolant in it).

IMAG0167.jpg IMAG0168.jpg

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Updates:
-Scored some used Simmons Gen 2 skis ($150)that I'm going to trim WAY down because I hate how heavy and big they are but need more flotation than the stock ski can provide.
attachment.php

-Removed the rear foot long heat exchanger and completed the cooling circuit with some plumbing supplies I found at Home Depot for a total of 6 bucks. Because I removed my headlight and will have increased air flow to the radiator I think I can get away with this...but I'm holding onto it in case I'm wrong.
attachment.php

-Tunnel had 2 cracks in it where the tunnel meets the bulkhead/frame. I'm pretty sure this was from the running boards bending. I had both cracks welded for $15 and now everything is ready to be sent to powder coating.
attachment.php

Here's everything that's going to be Powder Coated Black
attachment.php

-Received my Air Rivet gun ($50) and 1 gallon air compressor($60) so that I could efficiently do the Air Frame Running board installation. I tested it out and loved the results so much I redid a bunch of my rivets I wasn't happy with when I swapped the tunnel. I replaced them with the Yamaha OEM rivets from OFT Racing. It's amazing the difference between those and your average ones from Home Depot.
attachment.php

What took me about 6 hours, blistered and bruised palms, and several curse words with the hand riveter took about 30 mins with the air rivet gun...best investment so far!

-K&N Oil filter showed up to be paired with fresh amsoil when I change my oil.
attachment.php

-Ulmer Racing intake kit should be in soon, will post pics of the install.

-Hood is painted with a special wrinkle coating that I found at autozone. I was going to have it professionally painted but knew that I would only scratch it. So I opted for a route that allowed me to touch up the paint from time to time. The key to getting spray paint to stick is preparation. I sanded the hood with rough sand paper then fine sand paper to allow the paint something to grab onto. Then I cleaned the surface and applied several coats. It looks kind of like a fighter jet hood sitting on the garage floor :) The paint is more durable than I expected.
attachment.php

Close up of the Wrinkle coating.
attachment.php

That's it for now, I'll update this when I install the Intake kit and get the tunnel back from powder coating.

IMAG0171.jpg IMAG0175.jpg IMAG0176.jpg IMAG0177.jpg IMAG0178.jpg IMAG0179.jpg IMAG0180.jpg IMAG0183.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
So far the only thing that has come in and is ready to install is the Ulmer Racing K&N intake kit.

Here's what comes in the kit + an 18t sprocket.

attachment.php

Here's what it looks like installed...

attachment.php

Big box of parts from OFT is supposed to show up on Monday. Everything should be back from the powder coaters on Wed-Thurs. Still not sure when my Air Frame running boards are going to be in.

IMAG0191.jpg IMAG0192.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Track trimmed down

attachment.php

Some people were having issues with their drivers wearing fast, mine look great @ 2000 miles.

attachment.php

18t top sprocket is put in, sure enough my chaincase bolt was broken just like everyone else's. I just removed it and re-installed the case. The bolt only aids in installation of the chaincase cover.

IMAG0194.jpg IMAG0195.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Alright updates so far...Had a little snow fall recently and this has been put on the fast track!

Removed Parking Brake
Removed Headlight

Installed Jacobsen/Moto valve/tether
Installed OFT "The Relocator"
Installed Home made headlight vents
Installed "Home Brew" Instrument Panel vent.

Pictures:

Parts from OFT
attachment.php

Fox Float Evol's!
attachment.php

"The Relocator" Installed
attachment.php

"Home Brew" Instrument Panel vent--Rough draft, going to clean it all up later

attachment.php

Crappy Picture but here's what the hood looks like mounted, vents are blue for now until I can afford a new black seat. Then they are going to be red.

attachment.php

Tunnel is going to be here this weekend...took longer than expected but I'm sure it's worth the wait!

IMAG0204.jpg IMAG0205.jpg IMAG0206.jpg IMAG0209.jpg IMAG0210.jpg

Last edited:

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
My buddy finally brought up all the parts he powder coated for me tonight. He arrived at 9pm...90% of everything that was powder coated was installed by 10:30pm! haha I can't get over how nice the air rivet gun is compared to a hand rivet gun!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

The rest of the powder coated stuff I'm going to install tomorrow...

attachment.php

Still haven't heard as to when my air frame running boards are going to be in. I'm not REALLY irritated by it yet because I still need to save enough money to buy a new front end. I will have enough money by next weekend so I hope the air frames are ready soon!

IMAG0211.jpg IMAG0212.jpg IMAG0214.jpg IMAG0213.jpg

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Looking good Justin. I thought you backwoods Idaho guys were tough. I just reinstalled my tunnel yesterday with the same rivets from OFT with a hand rivet gun. I didn't think it was a big deal. I guess I was wrong about those Idaho boys:)

I have a black seat that I would maybe trade for your blue one if you are interested.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Looking good Justin. I thought you backwoods Idaho guys were tough. I just reinstalled my tunnel yesterday with the same rivets from OFT with a hand rivet gun. I didn't think it was a big deal. I guess I was wrong about those Idaho boys:)

I have a black seat that I would maybe trade for your blue one if you are interested.

Haha hey now! There are maybe 20 rivets you have to do when you take the tunnel off/on but when you swap tunnels you have to reinstall the steel mounting plates that are on the inside of your tunnel and there's about 15 a piece on those, also had to swap all of the mounting brackets& bolt holder thingys over from mine, and was using heavy duty stainless steel rivets.

I'm definitely interested in trading you seats, let me know what you wanna do!

Last edited:
T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Give me a couple weeks to get it back together and I will see what I think about the seat. That was a lot of rivets to drill out. Those Yamaha style rivets hold well but they are a heck of a lot harder to remove than regular ones.

Premium Features