• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interesting Info on M1100T (Vert Steering, Being Upside Down, Clutch)

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
So I decided to drive on up to the Arctic Cat 50th aniversary thing on Friday. I went straight to the factory for the tour, and it was well worth it. Actually got to see them putting snowmobiles together. After the tour I went over to the fairgrounds and got to talk to one of the engine engineers who was quite knowledgeable. Between the factory tour and talking to the engineer I found out some cool stuff:

1) M1100T doesn't need to be clutched for the mountains. The overboosting of the turbo compensates just fine.

2) The vertical steering is likely going to be available in December/Early Winter. They had an issue with a bearing on the assembly, and that apparently delayed them a bit. I say december since when I asked him if I should expect it in Janurary he said hopefully earlier than that.

3) I asked him a bit about the price range, he was very unsure, but he did say hopefully a few hundred or so. I'm guessing that means it will be less than $400.

4) The vertical steering kit will come with a new steering post. It will reuse your handlebars.

5) The maintenance schedule for the M1100T, at least when it comes to the mountain sled, is every 2000 miles the valves should be checked. I can't remember exactly what else he said, but he mentioned that the F series would need it every 2500 or so, since they expect the mountain sled to be at higher RPM more often.

6) When they designed the M1100T they rotated the sled around all angles to figure out if it would leak oil, it didn't. However, out west they found that if you flipped it with the engine running it could push oil out. They made a change to the sled to address this issue. The engineer actually took the side panel off to show where the additional component was added to address the problem (next to the oil/air seperator).

7) To do an oil change you drain the oil sump, and remove a drain plug on the engine that is accessible from underneath the bellypan.

8) He eluded to there being an additional sight gage besides the one I pointed at on the chaincase.

9) They were building F series sleds and Proxrosses with the 1100 non-turbo engine the day I was there. I'm trying to remember exactly what I heard from the engineer, but I believe it was late august is when they are planning on starting on the proclimbs, starting with the 800 engine first. It could have been late september though. I'm expecting my sled (M1100T Sno Pro LE) about mid to late october based I what I heard.

10) They build the limited editions, 50th aniversarys, and normal colors all at the same time, well, it takes them 20 spaces on the line to switch colors. There were tunnels of all different colors on the lines, but they were powder coating white ones when I walked by. In the seat assembly and headlight assembly areas there were also a variety of colors. My conclusion was that the only thing they don't change regularly on the line was the chasis and engine. That being said they had F series and Proxrosses on the line at the same time I believe.

11) The entire tunnel on the new chasis is put together using self peircing rivets that is completely done by robots (yay for consistency!) One robot would hold the peice, another was actually doing the riveting.

12) They weld the suspension components together and paint them onsite.

13) 1 out of 100 sleds off the line they completely dissasembly to test the tolerances and such. 1 out of 300 random sleds they take off the line, put an extra radiator on it, and run it around outside for a while. The junk it after they are done.

14) Every sled coming off the line is tested in a special thing that lubricates the track and such. They make sure that all the features it has work. On the ATVs this involves shifting and all that jazz.

15) Every part they get that comes in a lot greater than 300 has at least 3 parts of the lot tested for tolerances.

They did a spectacular job with the tour, it was very enjoyable! Talking to the engine designer was also really awesome. I appreciated the guy taking the time to talk to me and point things out.

Last edited:
J

jbunce

Dec 12, 2010
squamish BC
thanks for the info,
called my shop today and they said my M1100T LE would be in at the end of september thou so wonder what the actual dates are since every one seems to be getting different ones.

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
What you heard is probably what I heard. Once they are off the line they ship them out right away. I was figuring that I would probably end up with one of the last ones they made, which is why I figured mid to late october. If your dealer is one of the first to get them then I wouldn't be surprised if you get them when your dealer said you would.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Frankly I could care less when I get mine, as long as it is just sometime before the snow falls........

I would want mine to be one of the last ones off the line, as they would presumably have all the kinks worked out by then......

M
Feb 27, 2010
sleds

i work at a dealership in bc and i can't wait for them to show up so i can see how light we can get. if its the same as last year dealers that did there orders at the show well get them first.then all the straglers.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Frankly I could care less when I get mine, as long as it is just sometime before the snow falls........

I would want mine to be one of the last ones off the line, as they would presumably have all the kinks worked out by then......

Looking over the mountains, it is not that far away...especially since it has not fully gone away...and we are already starting to get some interesting mountain snow patterns...

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Looking over the mountains, it is not that far away...especially since it has not fully gone away...and we are already starting to get some interesting mountain snow patterns...

Sweet! I can't wait to see what you have done to yours. I need to try to keep mine as stock as possible(according to the wife). So I will live vicariously through your build.

N

nosajlleb

Feb 19, 2010
Michigan
So if these turbos are started and tested at the factory what does that mean for the break in procedure for the engine. Does the factory testing run them enough to start the break in procedure or does it hurt them?

I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights
Their testing procedure had the sled running for no more than 1 minute max from what I could tell. They weren't doing any really high rpms either I don't think. I'm not an expert at breakins, but I would imagine it would be too short a period of time to have an impact on anything.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I remember hearing a 600 mile break in period on the 1100T and no more than 75% thottle. Not like most of us could do that though LOL. With how well built 4 stroke motors are these days you shouldn't need to putt around for 600 miles to break in a motor.

Last edited:

dejadoo

Lifetime Membership
I remember hearing a 600 mile break in period on the 1100T and no more than 75% thottle. Not like most of us could do that though LOL. With how well built 4 stroke motors are these days you shouldn't need to putt around for 600 miles to break in a motor.

I have an 1100T on order and that is about a years worth of miles for me,
so I guess I will not be going full throttle this winter.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
Theres been a few threads about this and theres a lot of info out there that does not stand behind cats break in method. Im sure someone will chime in that knows more about this.

C
Nov 26, 2009
vt
i was always taught to meke sure its up to temp and all fluids are full then break it in like you will ride it all the time.ive always followed this and have had good luck.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
Break in period is just smoothing out the the high friction spots without causing undue heat and stress. The shorter the engine life the quicker the break in time. 2 strokes wear out in 7000 miles so break in is only a couple hundred miles. 4 strokes last at least 4 times as long, so it takes that much more time to break in. It takes a lot more time than this for an engine to reach it's full potential, but the critical time is gone.

J

jeffwmc54

Mar 21, 2011
yakima Wa
breaking in any engine is merely seating piston rings and THAT IS IT! the way u seat rings is to get the engine to operating temp and run the living crap out of it.

B

b1dodge

Nov 26, 2007
utah
www.youtube.com
You have to understand Cat and all other manufacturers are placing a "break in period" for one reason. To give there product every chance for survival long term ,as they should. The technology in materials used to build these parts is far different than they were when it was said you must "seat the rings" circa 1950-1970s. The moly and various alloys used to face a piston ring needs about 100 revolutions to be seated. There are other variables of course but they most certainly do not need 600 miles. Forged pistons have an expansion rate , some more than others depending on silicon content in the metal. When the engine is built and the tolerances set, assuming it was right....you should be able to fire it up, warm it up, and ring its neck without any failures. The break in period is for the engines that might be a bit on the tight side I.E. cylinder wall clearance, ring end gap, rod and main bearings ETC. As for me I will trust in what AC has done, give it the proper warm up, check all fluid level, check for leaks, give it a 5-10 mile grace period and then try my best to make it beg for mercy:usa2:

Premium Features