• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Caution Buying Mirage Trailer.

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
Well after 4 years here is what your Mirage trailer will look like. Called the factory and they will do some thing about it ONLY if i take it back to the factory. Well how far away is that 4-5 days of driving hotels ect. Cheaper to get rid of this trailer and buy a better trailer. Blamed it on not washing it enough. Mentioned if he wanted picts of it and not interested and said i had nothing to gain posting them on the internet??? The problem with it is when you join dissimilar metal like aluminum to steel they BOTH have to be coated or there will be a reaction. Was happy with the trailer and was expecting this in 10+ years not 4. Also the axles are starting to crack where the tortion axle hooks to frame. Atotal of 14 trips on the trailer GARBAGE.

Sledding Groat Creek 020.jpg Sledding Groat Creek 021.jpg Sledding Groat Creek 022.jpg Sledding Groat Creek 023.jpg Sledding Groat Creek 024.jpg

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Sounds like a mirage there have been many bad storys on here discussing there trailers.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Not trying to argue either way but my buddy has had a Mirage for the last 3 years and his is mint. I know the whole issue of dissimilar metals, but have you seen what leaving multiple trips of road grime on that stuff will do? Could be part manufacturer fault, but looks like you've have more stuff eating away than just the material difference. Check out your handle in the 3rd pic. Nothing but road nasty could cause that. Just my .02 but good luck getting it handled.

racer

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
Not trying to argue either way but my buddy has had a Mirage for the last 3 years and his is mint. I know the whole issue of dissimilar metals, but have you seen what leaving multiple trips of road grime on that stuff will do? Could be part manufacturer fault, but looks like you've have more stuff eating away than just the material difference. Check out your handle in the 3rd pic. Nothing but road nasty could cause that. Just my .02 but good luck getting it handled.

racer

All the grim you see there is from the aluminum disappering. Obviously you do not understand what is happening and must be a dealer.

Mitch P.

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Snohomish, Wa
Check back with Mirage on your axle mounts cracking. I received a letter from them last summer for this issue. They will give you a shop near you to have it repaired. It is a known problem to them and they will pay to have it corrected. Also, mine is a 2007 and still looks great, except for a number of exterior screw heads popping off and I almost lost the gas tank under the trailer. Climbed under to look at the axle mounts when I got my letter and found that three of the four bolts holding the tank were gone, and the fourth was missing its nut.

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
Check back with Mirage on your axle mounts cracking. I received a letter from them last summer for this issue. They will give you a shop near you to have it repaired. It is a known problem to them and they will pay to have it corrected. Also, mine is a 2007 and still looks great, except for a number of exterior screw heads popping off and I almost lost the gas tank under the trailer. Climbed under to look at the axle mounts when I got my letter and found that three of the four bolts holding the tank were gone, and the fourth was missing its nut.
My trailer does not qualify for that differnt style.

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
All the grim you see there is from the aluminum disappering. Obviously you do not understand what is happening and must be a dealer.

Oh, sorry bud. I guess you obviously didn't do your homework on buying a trailer and now want to piss and moan to all of us like we're really going to make your situation any better. Not a dealer either, and could care less if you assume I don't have knowledge about different reactions on metal surfaces. Should have checked the 1000 other threads about mirage trailers before you bought yours. Like I said, not trying to argue either way :face-icon-small-win

racer

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
Oh, sorry bud. I guess you obviously didn't do your homework on buying a trailer and now want to piss and moan to all of us like we're really going to make your situation any better. Not a dealer either, and could care less if you assume I don't have knowledge about different reactions on metal surfaces. Should have checked the 1000 other threads about mirage trailers before you bought yours. Like I said, not trying to argue either way :face-icon-small-win

racer

4 years ago there was not much info if they were good or bad going back 4 years. Dont care to help my situation using this to beware others that this is what your trailer WILL look like. Have a ALL aluminum horse trailer and my next trailer will be all aluminum and first choice will be built in Canada if there are any. Did not realize letting people know about my experiece and bewaring others was pissing and moaning. And dont care if this is 1001.

Last edited:

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Here's some helpful advice as I'm truly not trying to provoke you into thinking I'm a troll prowling for someone with issues. It appears that this didn't start to happen at the beginning of this year and progress to the point that it shows in the pics. Was there anything in the 2nd or beginning of the 3rd year you had it that might ping you to contact Mirage that something didn't seem right? I feel your pain in being pizzed about dropping serious coin on one of the 'best trailers on the market', but if stuff would have been losing it's integrity and showing that kind of wear and tear within a year or 2 it might be a lot easier to have the factory or an authorized dealer make it right. 4 years/seasons after the purchase can make a huge difference in the condition of stuff. It's like me saying my '07 Poo side panels are junk because some of the fasteners came loose and the plastic rubs bad, but I only trail ride and they should have lasted longer. I know, stupid idea but...... I'm not tryin to make you or Mirage out like the shady character in your situation, but each side is going to argue their thoughts this far in. I hope you don't have to deal with this on a future purchase, but IMHO it would be more beneficial to address the issue sooner than later. Good luck working it out.

racer

swikertrob

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
www.miragetrailers.com
I find it extremely disappointing that this customer is so quick to blame faulty material and workmanship,while disreguarding any maintainence responsibilities he may have. It is very clear the corrosion issue is only around the fender box where the majority of road chemicals are distibuted. In addition, the exterior screws are discolored, a clear sign of extended salt/chemical contact. (wash your trailer).
http://www.miragetrailers.com/blog/?p=55

This customer's unit is also outside it's warranty period; however, to condemn a mfg. for offering to repair this unit free of charge, no matter how old the unit, providing the unit is repaired at the factory, is perplexing at best.

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
If dissimilare metals are not preped properly they will corrode no matter how many times you wash it. Have taken the trailer to 2 body shops and there OPINION was improper preperation. Yes i can spend 4000 to take the trailer back 2000miles and take a chance they will repair it. They dont even want any picts?????

swikertrob

Premium Member
Oct 2, 2008
www.miragetrailers.com
If dissimilare metals are not preped properly they will corrode no matter how many times you wash it. Have taken the trailer to 2 body shops and there OPINION was improper preperation. Yes i can spend 4000 to take the trailer back 2000miles and take a chance they will repair it. They dont even want any picts?????

To be very clear, Mirage will address your issues even though the warranty period has expired, if you return it to the factory.
Mirage will also turn the trailer around in one working day so you will not have to wait long.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I had similar issues with my mirage. I bought it new in 07. Washed it everytime i used it. Still started doing what yours is after one yr. I sold it that summer. I really scrubbed it down after each use. Sides would come clean. But man the frame hitch all metal looked terrible. My bud has a wells cargo. His is 5 yrs old and looks better than mine after one season. I bought my 26ft extreme for 6,900. Guess you get what you pay for. Aluminum was like 10 grand. I hope they are better now. I liked the trailer, Just wish they spent more time on the metal prep. If i ever buy another steel i will order it powder coated. Well worth the extra cash!

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
I'd call Mirage again and let them make it right. I too had a trailer with some issue and they went above and beyond to take care of me and the issues I had. Stay level headed, don't demand anything and let them know what you expect. I know it's a long way to drive but they will make it right... no reason to get on here and slam them after they agreed to fix the trailer. Unfortunately they don't have a repair shop to fix it where you live.

When I was looking for a trailer I looked at all brands and ended up with a Mirage for many reasons... features, options and where it was built ( not far from me) so if I had any issues I could get them fixed. I'm on my 4th year with at least 30,000 miles on it and just a few small issues that were all taken care of. Been a great trailer which I plan on getting many more years of use from.

Good luck and give them a call.

R
Dec 22, 2007
Alberta
I'd call Mirage again and let them make it right. I too had a trailer with some issue and they went above and beyond to take care of me and the issues I had. Stay level headed, don't demand anything and let them know what you expect. I know it's a long way to drive but they will make it right... no reason to get on here and slam them after they agreed to fix the trailer. Unfortunately they don't have a repair shop to fix it where you live.

When I was looking for a trailer I looked at all brands and ended up with a Mirage for many reasons... features, options and where it was built ( not far from me) so if I had any issues I could get them fixed. I'm on my 4th year with at least 30,000 miles on it and just a few small issues that were all taken care of. Been a great trailer which I plan on getting many more years of use from.

Good luck and give them a call.

I am going to to confirm what there fix is and if it is made right same applies will show picts and what they have done to make it right. When i was looking they seemed to be a better trailer what sold me is the floor material. The one thing that ticked me off even if it was on warrenty he indicated it still would have to go back to the factory.

K

KG

Oct 12, 2009
I seen on a trailer dealers website that was saying to never buy Mirage trailers because they don't back up their product and have junky axles. And also said you could buy the only one they had left very cheap....thought real hard about getting one since I like alot of the features they have but not with a reputation like they have.

Premium Features