• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Don't void your warranty

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
The motor in my Pro let go with 800 miles on the OD, It was replaced with a new short block in 14 days of bringing the sled back to the dealer which was great! I asked the dealer to look up and see what a new motor would cost if your warranty was denied, they came up with $4,300 for a short block :scared: WTF is Polaris thinking? It's a 2 cylinder 2 stroke, not a 8 cylinder diesel.

I know most engines are rebuild able, but I've seen a few Pro motors when the block was split where the crank and rod had punched through the block right next to the water pump.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Ouch! Looks like I'll be keeping my sled stock for another 3 years. Good thing it rocks stock!!!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
The motor in my Pro let go with 800 miles on the OD, It was replaced with a new short block in 14 days of bringing the sled back to the dealer which was great! I asked the dealer to look up and see what a new motor would cost if your warranty was denied, they came up with $4,300 for a short block :scared: WTF is Polaris thinking? It's a 2 cylinder 2 stroke, not a 8 cylinder diesel.

I know most engines are rebuild able, but I've seen a few Pro motors when the block was split where the crank and rod had punched through the block right next to the water pump.

Is that what happened to yours?

T

Tec

Mar 31, 2008
Fraser, CO
Is that what happened to yours?

No ,My mag side crank bearing seized at low rpm and released, I restarted the sled to turn it around and road about 40 yards and it seized again, from there I towed it out and brought it into the shop. I've seen 6 stock motors fail, but only 2 of them had heavy block damage, must have been WOT bearing failures?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
With the increasing number of bearing failures in sub-1000 mile machines increasing, it may be a good idea to up the oiler system... everyone says how little oil the motor uses, bearings still need oil.:clock:

S

SaskRMK

Sep 7, 2010
Saskatoon,SK
You must have a great dealer! Last time i heard anything about our dealer it was with my friends 900. it took them 3 weeks to replace the oiler cable and TPS, The valves were missing clamps, oil splattered everywhere. Needless to say i have NEVER taken my machine there and never plan on it.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
check your oil usage, if you are not going through much oil it will happen again!!! I call bs on the a shortblock costing $4300. went on babbits priced out pistons, crank, and cases. no seals though and it is $1782. Add cylinders and head to it and its $2773. you will need seals and gaskets so throw in another $100 on top of it. they are full of crap and are a rip off if they are charging that much. I would say 5 hrs at the most to R&R the motor and rebuild it.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
check your oil usage, if you are not going through much oil it will happen again!!! I call bs on the a shortblock costing $4300. went on babbits priced out pistons, crank, and cases. no seals though and it is $1782. Add cylinders and head to it and its $2773. you will need seals and gaskets so throw in another $100 on top of it. they are full of crap and are a rip off if they are charging that much. I would say 5 hrs at the most to R&R the motor and rebuild it.

I agree with everything except the 5 hours to r&r a motor. I have done a ton of top ends and pulled a motor a few times, 5 hours is not enough time. Could it be done, possibly, but it's not fair for a mechanic working for a living.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I agree, if a dealer was to r&r and rebuild in 5 hrs, the first thing i'd do after i picked it up was pull it apart and go through it myself...lol...no wonder there are so many failures. Lets see, about 2 hours to carefully pull it out, then maybe 3-4 to carefully disassemble and measure/check everything as to why it failed. First rule of any good engine shop..NO IMPACT wrenches... (could take 1-2 days if I need to mag/xray questionable parts) Then clean everything, measure all new parts, perform needed machine work, mock up assembly and check again, ah 6 hrs+ . Reclean all parts, final checks on everything,and assemble, 6-8 hrs. Install in sled after all electronics are checked, 1 day. 4-5 heat soak cycles, leakdown test/recheck timing,oil pump flow..1 day. Short rides/heat soak under load, recheck all mounts/fittings....Good to ride. So about a week.
And thats why a really good shop has a very very low failure rate on motors, when you are building a 50,000.00 + woo sprint car engine or a blown alky deal you learn to be careful.
Yeah its total overkill but when its my name on the shop door (20+years) I want ZERO failures. :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo after all the engine must finish the race/ride to win and make everybody happy.:wave:

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009

Thats labor included dealer installed in the sled.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
I agree with everything except the 5 hours to r&r a motor. I have done a ton of top ends and pulled a motor a few times, 5 hours is not enough time. Could it be done, possibly, but it's not fair for a mechanic working for a living.

maybe, It can't take that long to put a r&r a motor. I am a mchanic and and it shouldn't take much to get a motor out of there. if they are doing that many it should be under an hour to pull the motor easily. it takes a half hr at the most to pull the motor apart. shouldn't have to clean parts since they will be replaced. 2 hrs max to put the motor back together and 2 hrs to install. so we'll go with 6 hrs total

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Thats labor included dealer installed in the sled.

so for a short block they are charging you over $2000 in labor? we barely get that to put a deisel in a ford superduty. this is why I do my own work. the dealer is slow, they are mostly not knowledgable. (at least around here) there are some good dealers but few and far between. if it takes a dealer that long to do a motor run. I would rather have someone who can do it in 5 hrs then someone who takes 20hrs. I can pull a subaru motor, replace the head gaskets and have running in under 5hrs, I have done a bunch of them. so a guy who does it fast does not mean he's not doing it right. he know what hes doing and is what I would want

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
oh ya and I forgot they will still probably not adjust the oil right. make sure you check your oil usage. the dragons that are not failing are using oil. Trust me I have one

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
I agree, if a dealer was to r&r and rebuild in 5 hrs, the first thing i'd do after i picked it up was pull it apart and go through it myself...lol...no wonder there are so many failures. Lets see, about 2 hours to carefully pull it out, then maybe 3-4 to carefully disassemble and measure/check everything as to why it failed. First rule of any good engine shop..NO IMPACT wrenches... (could take 1-2 days if I need to mag/xray questionable parts) Then clean everything, measure all new parts, perform needed machine work, mock up assembly and check again, ah 6 hrs+ . Reclean all parts, final checks on everything,and assemble, 6-8 hrs. Install in sled after all electronics are checked, 1 day. 4-5 heat soak cycles, leakdown test/recheck timing,oil pump flow..1 day. Short rides/heat soak under load, recheck all mounts/fittings....Good to ride. So about a week.
And thats why a really good shop has a very very low failure rate on motors, when you are building a 50,000.00 + woo sprint car engine or a blown alky deal you learn to be careful.
Yeah its total overkill but when its my name on the shop door (20+years) I want ZERO failures. :face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo after all the engine must finish the race/ride to win and make everybody happy.:wave:

Exactly how it should be done! Heat soaking is the key....

Premium Features