• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Fix for blown bellows on the Turbo XP

Skyking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2010
IMG_20110311_173447.jpg
So I finally got my turbo XP sled all back together and running. Even went riding with Josh from Turbo Performance to make sure that everything was good. Thanks Josh!!! They really rock. There will be another post with video, and all the details with that later.

So every time that I have taken my sled out I blow the bellows. I start out at 6lbs of boost, and would go up to 8lbs. I have glued, and safety wired them in. They still blow every time. Well after seeing that Piston driven Rave Valve from Supreme Tool was working. I called Mark to get the time-frame and cost. Well $480.00 and not until April was to long, and to much. So got thinking, and talking with another member here about some fixes. Thought, why are we trying to fix the problem, and not coming up with a solution. So just like what (NUTTYN01) did. I pull a pressure valve in front of the the pressure solenoid. So I stopped in at Advanced Air Products in Murry, Utah. http://www.aapautomation.com/. I told them what I was looking for and trying to do. This is what they gave me. AirLogic preset regulator set at 5psi. Part # PR70051B1B. It has a max inlet pressure of 150psi and an outlet pressure of 5psi. So there is nothing to set, or nobs to turn. They did not charge me anything for it, so I don't have a price for you.

Well I rode yesterday to try it out. Works great!!! No blown bellows!!! Rode all day at 8 pounds of boost. Then turned it up to 10Lbs for 30 mins or so. Then we went the the hill that really takes a turbo to make it over. Did four long pulls up it at 12lbs of boost. Seeing that I have a new top end on the sled did not want to push it more than that. At 12lbs of boost this thing really rips. So no more blown bellows. Its an cheap and easy fix. Now you guys with block off in can get your low-end back.

IMG_20110311_173447.jpg

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
schematic

Here is the schematic of the rave pressure/vacuum solenoids to give you a visual. The pressure relief valve would go where the lines from the back side of the cases T down to one line before it goes into the pressure solenoid.

Attachments

• 2008 rev xp Pg 134.pdf
    521.2 KB · Views: 215
U
I stopped by there today, they are $22. They are out of stock but can have them in a few days....but it got me thinking. We can acheive the exact same thing with a boost tee. All we need to do is drop the X inlet pressure to Y outlet pressure. With a boost tee (that is vented to atmosphere) we can drop the outlet pressure to 4 or 5 psi just by adjusting the screw. The one nice thing about the set regulator is that there is no guessing or set-up it has 5 psi outlet pressure reguardless of inlet pressure. The boost tee would take some inital set up to get the outlet pressure set correctly but that could be acheived pretty easily with a compressor and an air gauge. You can find cheap boost tees on ebay for $5 just another thought.

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
yeah

Trevor at high roller was accomplishing the same thing by teeing in a powerjet.

I stopped by there today, they are $22. They are out of stock but can have them in a few days....but it got me thinking. We can acheive the exact same thing with a boost tee. All we need to do is drop the X inlet pressure to Y outlet pressure. With a boost tee (that is vented to atmosphere) we can drop the outlet pressure to 4 or 5 psi just by adjusting the screw. The one nice thing about the set regulator is that there is no guessing or set-up it has 5 psi outlet pressure reguardless of inlet pressure. The boost tee would take some inital set up to get the outlet pressure set correctly but that could be acheived pretty easily with a compressor and an air gauge. You can find cheap boost tees on ebay for $5 just another thought.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Seems like a very logical fix. Is there a reason this wasn't done years ago?...or maybe is was? Any drawbacks or chance of failure from cold or heat??

Skyking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2010
Yes! I am finally getting to ride this thing without any problems. Three rides on it and no broken parts. Like you guys told me. "It would be worth it" Its been fun so far. And on 12lbs of boost its sweet!!!

Yep I put it in front of the pressure solenoid #2 in the diagram. It was a clear line that plugged into the bottom of the solenoid. I plugged the inlet side of the new pressure valve into that line. Then ran 3-4 inches of the same line for the outlet side of the new pressure valve, that plugged back into the bottom side of the pressure solenoid #2. So only 5lbs of max pressure goes to the Rave valve, which has the little black line that tees off to the top of the bellows.

I will try and get some pictures for you guys.

Yes I guess the boost tee would work. The only problem that I see with that is. You are only controlling FLOW, not pressure. You will also have to be able to calibrate it some how. Which I did not have the tools to do. Also, your inlet flow is going to change, which will change your calibration setting. I say if you are going to do it. Use a pressure valve, and get rid of any headache of trying to adjust something else.

Hope this helps!
Cory

Last edited:

Skyking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2010
Seems like a very logical fix. Is there a reason this wasn't done years ago?...or maybe is was? Any drawbacks or chance of failure from cold or heat??

That is what I have been asking myself. Why has no one had this fix before. Seems pretty logical to me. I am sure like everything else, things can fail. Only more testing and riding will tell. I will keep you guys posted.

Plus I am 100% on the pressure valve up to 12Lbs of boost, and 0% on the glued-in, and safety wired program at 6-8lbs. So I am already way happy.

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
we have been doing it since 2008. if you search this web site you will see a post that we had about this. knowbody beleved us so we stopped sending them out with the kits. but utah sledder had a tee with a jet in it and got close to 1300 mile on a set of bellows. double t had a power jet and so did high roller. I can also name alot more guys.

the problem that you have and you are going to have with this set up is the valve is going to plug over time with all the oil in the lines. that valve is made for compressed air with nothing in it. there is alot of ways to do it though. like utah sledder said all you have to do is get x-y with some type of relief. :face-icon-small-coo

N

nuttyn01

Dec 3, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
That is why I put the pressure relief valve before the pressure solenoid. The type of pressure relief valve I chose tee's into the system and vents additonal pressure to atmosphere. My hope is that any oil will take the "path of least resistance" and vent to atmosphere before it hits the pressure solenoid and rave valve assembly.

Time will tell. I will gladly take 1300 miles with a bottom end and a little maintenance.

we have been doing it since 2008. if you search this web site you will see a post that we had about this. knowbody beleved us so we stopped sending them out with the kits. but utah sledder had a tee with a jet in it and got close to 1300 mile on a set of bellows. double t had a power jet and so did high roller. I can also name alot more guys.

the problem that you have and you are going to have with this set up is the valve is going to plug over time with all the oil in the lines. that valve is made for compressed air with nothing in it. there is alot of ways to do it though. like utah sledder said all you have to do is get x-y with some type of relief. :face-icon-small-coo

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
What type of fuel mileage difference is anyone seeing running powervalves vs block off plates? I have block offs and I am using twice as much fuel as my old man's 860 XP and considerably more than my buddies 800 cat turbo.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
What type of fuel mileage difference is anyone seeing running powervalves vs block off plates? I have block offs and I am using twice as much fuel as my old man's 860 XP and considerably more than my buddies 800 cat turbo.

Upgrade. Rick is running the valves on his and my sled. Definatly more fuel useage than my NA 800 but not bad. I can still get a 50-65 mile day by carrying an extra 3 gallons. So I'd say that I'm about 10 miles shy of what I'm used to.

Skyking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2010
I know a few of you guys where wanting more pictures. Sorry this is the best I could do without taking too much apart. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Cory

IMG_20110323_151634.jpg IMG_20110323_151618.jpg

Premium Features