• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do I get into hilclimbing?

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
I am thinking about doing a few hill climbs next years. I would like to run in the stock 800 class. how do I go about gettting set up and what all can I do to my sled? or where can I find this out? Sorry if this is a dumb question/ Thanks

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
not dumb at all, i was in the same shoes last week before the Lost Trail Race

i think the key was(as suggested to me by racer220) keeping the sled as stock as possible

mandatory things:
helmet
tekvest
knee pads
tether
snow flap that is 1/4 in thick, 1 in wider than the tunnel on both sides, and touches the ground when the rider is on the sled

for stock class you can:
put screws in your track(needs tunnel protection from screws)
revalve your shocks
and that should put you in good standing for the stock class(there is more i just cant think of it right now)
the stock class motto is "stock is stock" so the sled should stay the way it came from the factory(ex. a arms, track,exhaust)

then you can bump your sled up to the improved and mod classes if you feel like it(i suggest it for more seat time on the course)

it is an awesome experience to say the least, lots of very nice/knowledgeable folks to chat with and get ideas from

Just be warned, You will most likely be hooked!

Skisucca

p.s. read the rules on the rmsha website, slp sells the isr rule book also

Last edited:
E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Hill Climbing

Hey guys thanks for the PMs and replies awesome stuff. I have everything needed. I can just throw my stock can back on. My sled has vent kit and bar risers. From what I have read that is fine. Would you suggest putting screw in my track. I would like to avoid if possible as I will still ride this sled every weekend when not climbing. Also I live in wy where would I go about finding a list of climbs in my area. I know there is one in alpine but thats it. Thanks again for all the help.

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
The vent kit is not allowed in the stock class. I would definatly put screws in the track, it makes a big difference. I still ride my sled on the weekend with the screws in the track.
The RMSHA hillclimb scheduel is on there web site,
www.rmsha.com

S

sykosledhead

Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WY
You might double check on putting plates in the track. I know screws are ok but the scuttle last year was they were going to make them illegal due to the amount of plates flying thru the air. A chit load of screws anf tighten the crap out of the track works great.

syko

Premium Features