• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Caught in a slide...

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Scary for sure, glad he is ok. Not sure where the other thread went where I asked the question, but any idea he didn't fire his ABS?

B

beans

Nov 27, 2007
Preston, WA
How is he doing? His leg looks like it got pretty wrenched.It is amazing how much power a medium sized hill has when it releases!

In Washington we have had 3+ feet every week since late Feb. Our snowpack is growing but has not had much of a chance to settle and bond. I think most Western states are in the same boat right now. Be careful out there.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
That is crazy stuff, glad to hear he came out with nothing too major.

That is really an eye-opening video...even hills that don't look "that big" can give you big bad problems....

R

robertyoke

Dec 26, 2007
colorado
been there done that last year, ended up jammed up in the trees just like you did. the guys that dug me out said i was alot more covered up, sled was 8 feet down. took a month to feel normal again, good luck on your recovery. This year i was slow to get back on the horse.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Wow. I never would have looked at a hill like that and thought about an avalanche until now. I am from Alaska, where the "hills" are much much bigger than what I have seen here in Idaho, it hasn't even occurred to me to take my beacon or probe with me when riding here. And just a couple weeks ago we were playing on a hill that looks a lot like the video with trees on it, but probably taller, none of us even considered an avalanche.
Good post.

J
Jan 15, 2010
To the guys who were there, glad your buddy is ok. What did you learn that day? What will you do different next time? How long did it take to get to your buddy? Think it would have been in time if he was buried? I bet the guys at the bottom were freaking out seeing that slide coming at them, glad it stopped...First hand information is always valuable.

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
I will only speak for myself but what I learned was life's full of calculated risks.. especially in the back country.
but I kind of already knew that. As well as how lucky I am to ride with the crew I do.
Top notch and skilled dudes that I fully trust with my life.

We knew the risk. we sat at the bottom and talked about it.
We then positioned ourselves in what we felt were 3 different safe zones...

We've ridden this hill many times and there have been many times where we passed on it after giving it a good long look and or dug a pit...
it's a calculated risk. just like most trips into the back country.....

Aaron and Myself went out with Craig and Brian of the Utah Avalanche Center today.
Gave them a chance to observe the slide while we recovered Tims sled.
Had another awesome chance to be on the hill with the UAC forecasters and get a real in depth look at what this hill was doing.

going off the raw helmet cam footage. we got to him in 1 min 28 seconds. we first made sure he could breath freely.
Then we started to shovel off the snow that was pinning him down and against the tree. that took about 3 min with 3 of us digging.
Then it was on to checking tim out and making sure there were no compounds or any other major truma. Mtnpull was awesome in this aspect. really took charge.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Never ceases to amaze me where these things go off at. It didn't look like a lot of past slide indicators, has this hill slid before to your knowledge. I would have guessed it to have plenty of ground anchor points. This kind of footage is a real eye opener cuz I hit plenty of stuff that looked like that hill without thinking I was in risky avy terrain.

Glad it all worked out. EW

Premium Features