• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Monster HP SkiDoo turbo at DTR tomorrow?

D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
DNE Don and Curtis Emery and Tommy McConkey are coming from Canada to tune Tommy's big SkiDoo four cylinder billet radar run engine on 3/10. DNE had Gus Bohne engineer a big intercooled Garrett turbo system for Tommy's 190 mph radar run sled, hoping for 200 mph with Gus' added turbo boost.

Gus is driving west to DTR to provide carb tuning/ moral support for the 3/10 tuning session, shown live on the DTR dynocams. One camera with live screaming video in the dyno room, and another webcam in the control room.

Should begin setup at 7-8am, engine running by 9am EST. This engine made 400+ NA, 500 + with n2o and questional reliability, and now 600hp seems to be the target-- HP is shown live on the big computer monitor in the control room.

Last edited:
D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
the two single pipes on the big four cylinder engine were way too short, torque was climbing at 9800 where I opted to stop each test to protect the engine and my big rubber dampened driveshaft (the big lord couplers are rated for about 4000 RPM!). We tweaked boost up to 17psi at the compressor outlet before the intercooler and made 483hp with torque climbing. So I'm suspecting that this would have made its HP pile from 10,500 to 11,000--lots more than 483 there, but way too high for the long stroke 1700 quad. So They're going to lengthen the pipes, add some timing adjustment and try again. Plus the turbine housing was too big, and measured pipe pressure was way too low. So with longer pipes, more timing, and tighter ex housing we will have fun next time.
And it was great fun having Gus Bohne here to help tune the engine--his 44mm blow through carb system delivered excellent dyno throttle response and top end fuel delivery (that sort of pisses me off because Greg Bennett, Sean Ray and I tried years ago without success to make 40mm roundslide mikunis work with Aerochargers, and finally decided it "couldn't be done" but Gus has done it with even larger carbs). Gus helped DNE create this turbo system, and he's surely a great resource for you turbo riders.

D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
This morning while setting up the calibration file for two hilldrag sleds I tuned today, I discovered that yesterday I had entered the incorrect engine to dyno speed reduction for the big 1700 two stroke engine calibration file, and what appeared to be 9800 RPM was in fact 6533 RPM....that means we were making 483HP at 6533 RPM...now in my own defense, that nasty four cylinder turbo shrieking out of a 4" turbine outlet pipe sure sounds like 9800RPM at a true 6500.

So in fact, we had another 2000+ RPM to go before we made max HP since this is the same Ypipe/ pipe setup Gus runs on his XP800 turbo (but two of them).

How much more HP could we have made at 18psi boost if we had taken the engine another 2000 RPM to its real HP peak RPM? We'll have to wait until the next trip here to find out.

G
Apr 23, 2008
Thanks Jim for the call this am.
I drove straight thru 8 hours from your place pondering the WTF ?? as to why the rpm was so high and the big monster was so fussy ..LOL

What we learned and gained from the session was still of great value, I see the writing on the wall..I have a goal and we will make it for sure thanks to you.

Thanks to the Emery's for all the fun and anticipation this project has brought to BSP..

None of us in the room would have thought it was not revving that high, that Behemouth with its dump pointed right at JIMS face thru that window was pulling doors open even at 6550 ...LOL Big turbo,,big REAL airflow..:scared::heh::heh:

That was 388 lbft of torque at 6533 rpm,,,at 18 psi..those of you who know my twisted mind can see we are shooting to 500 at 8500..= 800 hp..the new badass. built by Don Emery. 4 strokes is 2 too many...lol

Gus
BSP

Last edited:
G
Apr 23, 2008
thanks for putting the pics up Bryce..

we sure do like'm big out here on the flats..hehehhe.

the craftsmanship of the Emery's is outstanding..

Gus

E
Jul 9, 2002
Omak, WA
If you had that engine in a mountain chassis you wouldn't have to sidehill!

"Two-strokes love big compressors" as he says.....this compressor is the size of most airboxes. I love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Holy chit....that thing would give the 750 hp $250,000.00 machine I saw at mountain mod mania a run for its money....I wonder where that sled is now. The last time I saw it it was doing endos UP the hill after it spun the track off !!!

G
Apr 23, 2008
No rumor Mike, we broke the dyno drive belt on one pass,Now we know what limit that belt has too,, knocked the crank.010...noticed it while checking eng rpm while loading up for northbay sat..

It will be out and on the ice wednesday.

Gus

Premium Features