• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbos not starting after taking a break?

G
Jan 29, 2009
Walla Walla, Washington
SO... When I was riding with some M8 turbo sleds throughout this season, they're always having issues of not starting when they shut them off to take a break. The only solution to this problem seems to be to let the sled idle for around 10-15 seconds when stopping before shutting it off. These happened on 09-11 turbo sleds with turbo kits from Boondocker, Twisted, Push, and even a custom turbo a mechanic built onto his sled(old rice grinder car turbo on the sled lol). What is happening here? We have legitimate spark, yet these sleds won't start. I don't get what is happening here. Will someone please explain to me what is happening here, and if you have been experiencing the same thing? We even had a Turbo Dragon 800 today do the same thing...

Thanks in Advance.

GDG

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
you havent been around here long,

The no start issue is due to heat, if you shut them off hot the coolant in the engine peaks and the temp sensor reads it as to hot and leans it out, kinda a limp mode type of thing. Most turbos install a temp switch that disconnects the temp sensor. So you can shut off the temp sensor and pull it over a few times then turn it back on and away you go, by breaking the connection to the sensor the ecu makes it rich, like a choke.

If that doesn't do it, try this. Turn the kill switch to the not run position, then hold the throttle wot and pull it over three times, then turn it to the run position with not throttle and give it a pull.

If you don't have a switch to shut off the temp sensor you can have someone blow on the barometer tube, it makes the ecu think the barometric pressure is higher and gives it more fuel. But if you try this make sure you get a pick of your buddy giving your sled a blow job.

S
Jan 20, 2009
From what I have been told by OVS and experienced the cats have a high altitude map that kicks in at 8500 feet. It adavances the timing and leans out the fuel map a ton. I have verified this with my O2 guage and then plugged the barometric sensor and ran the sled. When you reach 8500 ft the idle goes lean and so do my wot readings. With a plug installed in the barometric sensor line at 7000 ft I ran rich for the first time as I climbed above 8500 ft. Was nice to finally figure out the reason for the lean reading I have been seeing since installing my turbo kit. Everyone kept telling me engine overtemp was causing my no start, I have an oversized cooler and I am sure I never saw an overtemp condition. I would have to pour fuel in my air box to get the engine to fire at high altitudes. I had read a post on here about someone blowing on the tube going to the ECU while you pull the rope. After seeing this first hand I am sure that trick would work. It tells the ECU you are at a lower altitude and puts more fuel in the engine so it will start back up.

L

little_orange_cat

Apr 7, 2008
lynden
www.myspace.com
From what I've seen is when your riding and you come to a stop the sled is at a high idle or idling a little higher then normal. If you kill the sled while its doing it the sled wont start 80%of the time. Its like its trying to stay in that high idle mode (leaning it out i would guess) and wont give the sled enough fuel to start the motor. So you either have to pore a little fuel in the spark plug holes or trick the system into giving it more fuel. Now if you wait for the sled to idle down back to normal before killing the engine it should start back up. Why would it do this on a turbo sled but not a stock sled i think it would be because of the turbo compressor pushing to much or not enough air in the motor when your pulling it over. So just let it idle a while and your GTG.

S
Jan 20, 2009
I agree, If I let mine idle down it will start every time. These new fuel injected motors run so lean if you don't let them sit a minute and richen back up on the bottom end they are so lean on start up they will not start. I increased my fuel pressure 2 psi and that seemed to help a ton. I still let it idle down and shut it off. It also lets the turbo spool down as well.

Suzzy-Q

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mackenzie B.C. Canada
i have seen this symptom down at 3-6000 feet aswell hot start switches were installed tieing into the coolant temp sensor to remedy this as well

Premium Features