• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 not running right

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Archer, IA (Northwest IA)
i have a 2002 ski doo summit x 800 and brought it in before season to have them tune it "up" well i have been fighting it ever sense i got it back. there are sometime when it runs right and times when it doesn't. like today when i wanted to go ride. it ran fine when i went flying down the road at 8200 rmps but when i got to the spot i wanted to play in the snow i had to keep "feathering" the throttle and i fell off once and it stayed up right and went about 10 feet and died. at first i thought it was the plugs i had. but i changed those with the spares, that seemed to help for a little bit. but didn't last. so i looked up the right plugs for it and got them (thats what i'm running now) but it still seems to have the (bog) at mid range and i brought it in and had them go throught my carbs and clean then so i have "no" clue why it's doing this
any and all help well be very nice

T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
I seem to remember my 02 acting similar.
What elevation are you at? Is it a BWaaaaaaa bog and eating alot of fuel??
If so, it's runnig rich. Do a plug check. It's probably the DPM unit not working.
Just one thing to check.

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
Have you checked clutching?

that was also supposed to be checked up
have u checked the carb boots for delaminating??

what?

I seem to remember my 02 acting similar.
What elevation are you at? Is it a BWaaaaaaa bog and eating alot of fuel??
If so, it's runnig rich. Do a plug check. It's probably the DPM unit not working.
Just one thing to check.

i'm not sure haven't ran it that much and whats one way i could test the DPM elevation is at about 1500 feet

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
delam...take the air box off and push down a little on the carbs while looking at the rubber flange boots where they bolt to the block they have a problem with the rubber comming loose and cracking in that area...the pics are off mine from last year..i went to boyesen rage cages ..

DSCF0688.jpg DSCF0693.jpg

Last edited:
T
Nov 27, 2007
Eastern Washington St
The Carb boots could sure be the problem!

I don't think the DPM even starts working untill you up around 3000ft?? so I don't think thats it!

You should not go over 8000 on your tack. Your over reving at that! Add some weight or click down 1 on your primary clutch.

Need to eliminate things one at at time. Start with this.
I'm guessing it's fuel related? If your milking the throttle to keep it going. Sounds like it may be running out of fuel, not to rich? Try to flip on the choke next time it try's to die.
A friend of mine (on his Rev) had his carbs worked on and when they were replaced the fuel line was re-routed under the carbs and was kinked. Sled would rip for a short bit then fall on it face. Stop re-start and do it again!
Try and do a plug check to see if it's rich or lean.

Last edited:
S
Dec 11, 2008
Also make sure the sensor on the air box from the DPM got plugged back in after they cleaned the carbs, I put pistons in mine this year and forgot to plug sensor back in, ran similar to what you said, fouled plugs etc...

deboer

Lifetime Membership
Jan 5, 2009
ok thanks guys i'll check that stuff when i can hopefully before i go to the mountains sense theres no snow where i live i'ma try to go out to the mountains once this year

G
Feb 12, 2011
similar problem

i have an 01 summit 800 and i seen to be having a similar problem. recently i have put 8 in risers on it, extended all the wiring, went to take it out and it was bogging between 4 & 5 grand, but it seem once i get it up past that it runs fine. i had a broken clip on the inside of my plug cap, so i replaced both wires with ngk red race cables, didn't help, found that my intake boots were cracked, bought boyesen rage cages, tested it today, didn't help, i have went back through all the wiring that i extended, checked the sensors/plugs into my computer, checked my teather, i don't know whats going on, i did see someone said to run with the choke on, haven't tried that, but it ran fine when i bought it this year and seems to run back now that i extended the wires, the only thing i can think would do that wit those wires is the kill switch, but it starts and kills it like normal so i don't know whats going on. any help?

Premium Features