• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTB: Recoil Starter Unit

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
I am need of a new Recoil Starter unit for my 03 1M 900. Anyone got one for sale?

I was sitting on the top of a hill last week when my pull cord stopped catching. I believe the tiny little spring (#7 in image) broke. We managed to get it to catch once to start the sled but on the way down I felt a huge jolt and looked down to see my pull cord handle sitting in my footwell. It appears that while the sled was running the unknown part (between #7 and #5 in image) has caught and shredded everything inside.

One thing I am a little concerned about is I cannot seem to locate this "unknown part". I pulled the starter housing off and it just isnt anywhere to be seen. Im sure it couldnt have come out anywhere could it? Its a little disturbing as its a fairly solid piece of metal.

Anyway, as you can see I need pretty much the whole unit replaced, anyone have a spare laying around they want to get rid of?

starter.gif starter bits.jpg

sprockethead

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern UT
For sure pull the flywheel. I've had this happen on two of my sleds once ruined the flywheel, timing sensor and stator. Other took out the stator. As far as the recoil get one from a M8 or M1000 and get the adapter from Idcatman1. It will pull over with much less effort especially when cold.

Sprocket

P
Sep 14, 2010
North Dakota
X2

For sure pull the flywheel. I've had this happen on two of my sleds once ruined the flywheel, timing sensor and stator. Other took out the stator. As far as the recoil get one from a M8 or M1000 and get the adapter from Idcatman1. It will pull over with much less effort especially when cold.

Sprocket

X2 on the m1000 recoil. I put one on my king cat and it made alot of difference.

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
Any special tricks to getting bolt # 13 out? (from my first pic above)

I see in the service manual there seems to be a tool to hold the drive shaft steady while the bolt comes undone. Do I need this tool or is there another way of doing it?

Last edited:

snailbait

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Utah
...NOW....does someone know where I can get a 1000 recoil for cheap??? LOL

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
He meant an impact wrench I think. I just put a big screw driver thru the holes in the recoil cup to keep it from turning but the impact wrench would also work.

Ah yes theres that reverse thinking that im not good at. Already took that off so ill put it back on and give it a go. Someone said to shove a big screw driver through my clutch but that doesnt sound like a good idea. Never played with the clutch but they seem a bit delicate and touchy at times.

Snailbait ask rdr99 he had one, I shoulda been more patient and got the M1000 one + kit but I ended up getting a used 800 starter locally, should be here today, wanted to get up and running asap!!

F
Aug 17, 2010
K-Town, BC
Typical

So yeah I bought my harmonic balancer puller, thanks to youtube there was a nice video on there for Arctic Cats how it all works. If a picture says a thousand words, then a video says a million.

Anyway pulled the flywheel. Still no sign of the missing "unknown part" from the recoil. Looked around for ages to no avail. Stator looked in good shape, started to think I was going crazy. Then noticed a flash of gold from the very bottom of the belly pan and low and behold, its been sitting there the whole time!!

Oh well, for 20 bucks I now have a flywheel puller and know how to use it, so not a complete waste of time.

Put her all back together and now Im ready for a weekend in da mountons!!!

Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap

Premium Features