• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 M8 wont start. Need help please

D
Jul 28, 2010
Crosby, ND
My buddy was riding last night and we got back to the cabin he parked his sled. this morning we went out to go riding and his sled would not start. It did fire once and the quit. Then after pulling we changed plugs and still would not fire or start. Any help would be great.
Thanks

S

samiams2

Nov 14, 2009
MN...stupid poser flatlander
could have water in the gas...fuel pump froze stiff

we had -35F temps in Cooke last week and had a brand new Etec that wouldn't start...thawed her out and wa-la

of course, thats a skidoo....what do ya expect:face-icon-small-sho

I run a little iso....never had a problem.

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
We had this problem with one last year and a 1/2 dozen pulls holding the throttle open solved the problem. You might try unplugging the yellow temp sensor behind the motor, pulling it a couple times, then plugging it back in and holding the throttle open while you pull a few times.

messickzr

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
Iowa
My 2011 M8 struggled to start in negative temps in Wyoming last week. Wouldn't even fire! If I held the throttle open it would start, idled a little rough but usually after 3 pulls on rope with throttle open it started. 2008 Crossfire 8 would start easily.

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
It might be condensation in the fuel, give it some isopropyl gas line antifreeze, not menthyl! Menthyl is too dry and will take the oil away form the cylinder walls. I also agree with thawing it all out.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
We had this problem with one last year and a 1/2 dozen pulls holding the throttle open solved the problem. You might try unplugging the yellow temp sensor behind the motor, pulling it a couple times, then plugging it back in and holding the throttle open while you pull a few times.

Same thing a couple times on my 10 M8 and a few others as well as a couple of 11's. I haven't had to unplug anything. But pulling the rope with the throttle open has done the trick. It seemed to me like this occured after the sled was ridden at low throttle/load. These sleds are pretty rich at lower rpms.

B

Burn Down

Dec 22, 2008
Boise Idaho
2010 hcr ran fine all day. Next morning it would fire for a second & die. Check the usual stuff, plugs spark etc. Pulled the fuel line off no gas when you pulled it over. Put some heat in still nothing, figured the fuel pump died. Took it into the dealer they hooked up a battery to the fuel pump & wired it backwards. Plugged the wires back in & wa la it fired right up. Most likely was some ice. Cost my buddy a day of good riding. I now have a wire in my tool kit to do this in the field.

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
ive heard of that too (the fuel pump backwords trick)

with 3 M's now ive never had one not start, and if it wouldnt on the second pull full throttle and she fires right up..

you wouldnt think the full throttle would work with efi, but if it doesnt fire by the third good pull try full throttle!

x10 on the iced up!

-Aksnopro

Premium Features