• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Poo VR is the old bait & switch fraud

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Ok last week I ordered the new updated Polaris Voltage Regulator part number 4012930 from my local polaris dealer. They got the part in yesterday and I went to pick it up today and discovered that the new polaris part number sticker had been placed over another parts number sticker.

So I peeled up the new sticker to reveal the old sticker and found the old part number 4012476. I then looked in the box to see if polaris just recycled the old boxes and restickered them but unfortuanetly I confirmed that the actual part was also 4012476.

Please see the attached pictures below for your own eyes. Obviously I am very disappointed and feel like polaris has now been defrauding all of us.

This is the same VR part number that came on my 09 D8. Unfortunately the dealer agrees with me and doesnt believe that anything has changed except for polaris trying to make themselves look good. I wish I could believe that something was changed but this is a solid state regulator. Any input would be great. Sorry to burst any ones bubble.

IMAG0241.jpg IMAG0242.jpg IMAG0244.jpg IMAG0245.jpg

Last edited:
D

Desperado

Nov 29, 2007
New Meadows
I'm not suprised, polaris has been defrauding it's loyal customers since the BB 800 crank breaking issue. I have little faith in them and I hope they've gotten things straight with the new Pro but from some of the folks I've talked to there seems to be issues. To bad because I really like the new Pro too.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Desperado,

I have to agree with you, I think Polaris just wants to cover things up so they look good, they want everyone to think that they upgraded VR's so people have some hope that the problem is finally being corrected.

I have also heard of some new pro's blowing up and some VR's & ECU's going already like in the IQ's. I can only imagine that the grass is not really any greener with any one else's sled brand or manufacturing company's?

They just make it worse when the misrepresent!

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I get so sick of hearing people slam on Polaris. Every brand out there has had issues, cranks, ECU's, piston failures, clutching etc.

Haters are gonna hate.

rmk2112

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2009
Kennewick, WA
www.northstar-plumbing.com
Conspiracy theory = everything R44guy and Desperado said.

Probably and most likely theory = Change in catalog part numbers and inventory due to new model being manufactured (Pro Ride)

Just sayin.......

I get so sick of hearing people slam on Polaris. Every brand out there has had issues, cranks, ECU's, piston failures, clutching etc.

Haters are gonna hate.

:amen:

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
I'm going to play "Devils Advocate". Do you know for a fact the electronics inside that housing haven't changed? The housing is a simple heat sink - a hunk of aluminum similar to what is used on any number of recreational vehicles. The only part that has anything to do with function is the bundle of electronics potted inside the housing. Stand in Polaris' shoes for a minute: You identify a faulty component - quite possibly pinpointing it to where it can be traced to a particular lot of manufactured parts or parts manufactured prior to a particular date, or an issue with a supplier, a component specification, etc. You also have an assembly line full of good parts, housings all stamped with part numbers, labeled boxes waiting to be packed, etc when this problem becomes known. What do you do? How do you keep track of what parts are "good" or "bad" when you have a bunch of parts, both good and bad, that are visually indistinguishable from one another? What about your warehouse and dealer inventory? One reasonable solution is to do just what you observed to happen. Assign an "updated" part number so you can distinguish good parts from bad. Re-label all the known "good" parts with the new number, box them up in boxes with new labels bearing the new number and get them out into circulation to replace the bad ones. Now, please explain where this "fraud" is taking place...

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
I'm going to play "Devils Advocate". Do you know for a fact the electronics inside that housing haven't changed? The housing is a simple heat sink - a hunk of aluminum similar to what is used on any number of recreational vehicles. The only part that has anything to do with function is the bundle of electronics potted inside the housing. Stand in Polaris' shoes for a minute: You identify a faulty component - quite possibly pinpointing it to where it can be traced to a particular lot of manufactured parts or parts manufactured prior to a particular date, or an issue with a supplier, a component specification, etc. You also have an assembly line full of good parts, housings all stamped with part numbers, labeled boxes waiting to be packed, etc when this problem becomes known. What do you do? How do you keep track of what parts are "good" or "bad" when you have a bunch of parts, both good and bad, that are visually indistinguishable from one another? What about your warehouse and dealer inventory? One reasonable solution is to do just what you observed to happen. Assign an "updated" part number so you can distinguish good parts from bad. Re-label all the known "good" parts with the new number, box them up in boxes with new labels bearing the new number and get them out into circulation to replace the bad ones. Now, please explain where this "fraud" is taking place...

I was thinking the same thing, late build vs early build? Two suppliers and and only one was bad, new part # assigned to the good supplier?

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Magic Part Number Labels

rmk2112, rocket & edgexcsp,

I will update you when the other replacment shows up to see how the box is labelled? as well as what part number is stamped or printed on the part.

I would love to believe that there were two suppliers or two manufacturers but in the big picture new or updated parts have new part numbers. If this part was put in my sled and if it failed any dealer would think it was the orignal or old part number and there would be now way to track the parts failures.

Yes this looks like a "Conspiracy theory" but until some one can prove differently it is a pretty cheap update for polaris. Just make a new part number, print it on a sticker, place sticker on old inventory VR box.

As far as polaris changed part numbers since the new pro ride has came out it is not relavent since it has 2 different VR's with 2 seperate part numbers. This is just a buyer beware FYI. This is also not about jumping ship or complaining about the reliability of the 09 D8, it was about me buying the new updated part number to take with me riding in case I had a failure with the old VR.

I also mentioned that the dealer thinks this is polaris playing games like they have for the last 10 plus years. If I hear anything from the Poo rep. I will let you all know because I would like to be wrong in this case.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
..............or maybe there is another new sticker under the old sticker that is under the new sticker............:face-icon-small-sho

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana

Haters are gonna hate.

iam sure you are but go look in all the yamaha,cat,doo sections then look at the number of complaints EVERY OTHER POST in polaris, is people with problems. And haveing to buy the pcv to keep it from blowing up is like going to the new car dealership and them selling you a car with out breaks yeah sure you dont need them but if you wana stop you gotto go buy them but it dont matter we all keep polaris in buisness

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
iam sure you are but go look in all the yamaha,cat,doo sections then look at the number of complaints EVERY OTHER POST in polaris, is people with problems. And haveing to buy the pcv to keep it from blowing up is like going to the new car dealership and them selling you a car with out breaks yeah sure you dont need them but if you wana stop you gotto go buy them but it dont matter we all keep polaris in buisness

When the XP came out how long did the average ($180) clutch belt last?
How many pistons did the Rev go through? Did the M7's bog ever get fixed? How much stuff got melted by the first M8's?

Half the people complaining in the Polaris section don't even own a Polaris.

I have ran my 2009 Assault for over 700 miles with no issues. We have had 4 Dragons/Assaults, not one of them has had any REAL issue. Actually 5 IQ's if you count the 700 Dragon as well and now 2 Pro's. The only issue we have had is the pipe's EGT sensor, and I think that is self inflicted with the use of race gas. I wouldn't say the PCV is a MUST have, it certainly helps. I have one but have been running the stock map with great success.

Again, EVERY sled has it's issues. Yamaha has probably been more problem free but until they make a sled that has less weight and the same HP, then I won't consider them.

Last edited:
P
Oct 28, 2008
Misleading Part Change to say the least

I have worked at a Polaris Dealer for 8 years and have found many times that the manufacturer in this case has gone down the road to appear to fix things only then make it up as they go with new part numbers being ready before the actual new replacement parts are.

This could very well be the case here or just a cover up like r44guy has shown us with the pics. I can tell you we would of not even given that box a second look to catch the relabel of the part number, or to of even checked the part number on the part before using this on any sled. Obviously some one is paying closer attention then poo and the dealers.

I also find it very doubtful and highly unlikely that any of the internals in the VR or part number shown have been changed what so ever otherwise the part number would of been changed period.

I would like to think maybe this may of been a misboxed type of error at best but that still doesnt add up. We have seen many misboxed parts in our parts department from poo or the supplier.

r44guy, good job catching this concern and alerting us. I too would of been unahppy to not get what I was lead to believe was a new updated part and it was not. Please let us know if you get any other info from poo.

E
Oct 22, 2009
NY
rmk2112, rocket & edgexcsp,

I will update you when the other replacment shows up to see how the box is labelled? as well as what part number is stamped or printed on the part.

I would love to believe that there were two suppliers or two manufacturers but in the big picture new or updated parts have new part numbers. If this part was put in my sled and if it failed any dealer would think it was the orignal or old part number and there would be now way to track the parts failures.

Yes this looks like a "Conspiracy theory" but until some one can prove differently it is a pretty cheap update for polaris. Just make a new part number, print it on a sticker, place sticker on old inventory VR box.

As far as polaris changed part numbers since the new pro ride has came out it is not relavent since it has 2 different VR's with 2 seperate part numbers. This is just a buyer beware FYI. This is also not about jumping ship or complaining about the reliability of the 09 D8, it was about me buying the new updated part number to take with me riding in case I had a failure with the old VR.

I also mentioned that the dealer thinks this is polaris playing games like they have for the last 10 plus years. If I hear anything from the Poo rep. I will let you all know because I would like to be wrong in this case.

Let us know if you come up with any answers from Poo.

There is no way I would have accepted that as a replacement part for my sled either. I was just trying to toss out some ideas for why it may have been labeled like it was. I worked in auto parts for several years and saw this type of thing all the time with "updated" parts.

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
VR Changes

Thanks for the support from some of you, and as far as the rest of you I understand your questions. I may of been a bit upset or over reacted a little but I felt like I spent plenty of time ordering the right new updated part only to feel insulted in the end.

I hope that I find out something like polaris was kust clearing out the old inventory before they actually give out the new one but it still doesnt sound right. If some how the old part was updated that would be great too but it seems to good to be true. I think and still believe it is what it is!

I am just trying to protect myself out on the mountain because I dont want to break down, to date my 09 D8 has been good and reliable, I have only lost the rear we track shock that blew out the side or back of the shock body. Polaris did warranty it and no harm is done.

I may have gone a little far with the old bait & switch fraud but that is what it appears to be so far. Oh yeah thanks poo guy for kind words, thanks & thumbs up. FOr a while I felt like I was getting hammered on for this post.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
I'll check mine when I get it towards the end of the week. I've got one coming to replace one that fried.

I would think that Polaris has likely returned their inventory to the manufacturer for updating, then just relabled them. Instead of just throwing the old ones out.

No way to know though unless someone physically opens them up, which probably won't happen.

I just wish they would find a better manufacturer.

Premium Features