• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY M8 Spark Plug Wires?

J
Dec 3, 2007
I've got an m8 with 5000 miles on it (Turbo to boot) and i'm getting arcing from my plug wires in a couple locations. I called cat and they was $171 for each wire.

Obviously thats not going to happen, so I want to order a plug wire kit. I know I need resistor boots for the spark plug end, and I'm fine using standard plug wire, the part I do not know is what kind of plug the coils take.

I can take one of my coils off and go to a parts store and see what I can find, but i'd much rather see if someone else has already gone through this and can tell me what kind of plug it is.

Thanks!

J
Mar 28, 2008
You've got a Turbo!

Dude, the first thing that you should have done before you bought a snowmobile and then went and put a turbo on it was you should have pulled a Benjy out of your wallet and flushed it down the toilet. If that caused the slightest flinch, you should have gotten out!

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
So they are saying you have to replace the whole coil?

I'd check if they have one in stock before trying this but I'd try unscrewing the plug wire from the coil. You may also be able to unscrew the wire from the cap. If so, then get some new wire from the parts store. $10 max.

Maybe it is possible to splice a bad wire???

Another option may be to retrofit some motorcycle coils or automotive coils? On my Kaw Concours I had the old style coils and plug wires. When the coils went bad this year I bought the new style "stic" coils/plugs from a guy who made these kits for my particular bike and it was around $120 for a set of 4.

Ebay has lots of used MC coils for sale, but I am no electrical guru and have no clue why/how 4 coils are needed for 2 cylinders. I wonder if you could use a MC 4-cylinder coil where each coil has 2 spark plug leads, but then again this may not work well with the fuel injection system.

B

bacobits

Dec 9, 2007
Laramie, wyo.
A buddies 09 hcr had 2 plug wires rubbing togther, rubbed down to bear wire on one. went to local parts store and they cut the needed lengths, just unscrew the ends off of the org. and screw into new wires. cheap and easy.

Premium Features