• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Handle Bar Wires / Oil Line Bulkhead / Oil Line Air Bubble

R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
Hey guys just a few things to look at/ inspect,

1. the handle bar wires. I was riding last night on the new Pro Ride RMK 800 and when i would turn half way to the left and right it didn't matter which way it would cause the head light to go out. the wires rubbed against the aluminum tubing that runs to the handlebars from the front of the bulkhead right above the a arms and was rubbed to bare wires, fixed the wires and problem went away. Check the wires takes minutes. i forgot to take pictures of this sorry guys.

2. as many posts state the oil line that goes from the tank to the pump (located on the back side of the motor below the throttle bodies) rests against the bulkhead and rubs on it causing a hole. see pictures below. ran a zip tie around it and pulled it away from it fixing the problem.

3. Check your oil line right off the oil tank. I noticed a bubble about an inch long when inspecting the sled while the hood and side panels were off during the wires (#1) and noticed it called my local dealer and was told that Polaris said if the bubble is a half inch or less not to worry about it but me and the service manager were in agreement that all air bubbles in the oil lines were bad he said that he has worked on a couple that burned down because of this, also he said that the bubble doesn't usually like to go back through the brass fitting on the tank. So I took the tank off all you need is a 10mm wrench and socket with extension 2 bolts, then pulled the rubber strap off the back and tank comes right off. then I pulled the line and filled the line with oil put it back on and problem solved. See Pictures below.

Just some things to look for. Happy riding.

1.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg 3.jpg

S

snopro_ac

Oct 17, 2009
thanks for the good info, sure to save some problems for a lot of people.

flying frenchman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
Alberta, Canada
There must be different guys at polaris with different answer on how long air bubble is allowed. My dealer said up to 3 inches, that's what polaris told them.

kidder17

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Saskatchewan
TSB from Polaris for the Oil Lines

Here is the TSB from Polaris regarding this issue.

File attachment is above the limit.

PM me your e-mail and I can forward or if someone can post it within the limit have at it and post it.

Last edited:
R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
Any way you can take higher resolution pix and post them? I want to check mine and make sure there are no issues.

Thanks!

Yes next time the sled is in the shop I will take more pictures with a better camera.

As for the TSB i can't attach it either.. if anyone would like it PM me or Kidder17 your email and I will be more than willing to send it to you. (im sure the same for Kidder17)

B
Dec 3, 2007
Rogers, MN
I checked mine out good today. The oil line just before the oil pump does indeed rest against the bulkhead. I used a couple zipties to pull it away just slightly to keep it from rubbing. I also pulled the oil tank and removed the oil line to fill it with oil and remove the air bubble.

Thanks for the tips!

Rob

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Thanks for the tips. Spent a day "under the hood" so to speak and threw a bunch of extra loom here and there. One questions I zip tied the oil line away from the bulkhead but in order to pull it away the oil line come in contact with the throttle body. Its not pinched or anything just touching and I made sure the split in the loom was rotated away. I'm thinking that since the line will vibrate in synch with the motor this should not be an issue. Any thoughts?

B
Dec 3, 2007
Rogers, MN
Just be careful to not pull the line too tightly so that it ends up kinking. When I put zipties on mine it only pulled it about 1/4" away from the bulkhead and the line doesn't have much tension on it.

Rob

1911freak

Nov 26, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Just be careful to not pull the line too tightly so that it ends up kinking. When I put zipties on mine it only pulled it about 1/4" away from the bulkhead and the line doesn't have much tension on it.

Rob

OK you had to say it. Now I'm nervous. Does your oil line contact the lowest corner of the PTO throttle body? Oil line looks free of kinks but cant really see the area between the throttle bodies. Maybe a better idea would be to have my dealer pull it away. I plan to have them go through the sled at about 150 miles. Just a precaution I've learned to take over several years of listening to manufacturer excuses.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
OK you had to say it. Now I'm nervous. Does your oil line contact the lowest corner of the PTO throttle body? Oil line looks free of kinks but cant really see the area between the throttle bodies. Maybe a better idea would be to have my dealer pull it away. I plan to have them go through the sled at about 150 miles. Just a precaution I've learned to take over several years of listening to manufacturer excuses.

Mine does, same description as yours after zipping it 'loosely' to the torque arm. Attaching a zip lower on the side could reduce the PTO throttle body rub, but it's also much better than that knife edge on bulkhead. Just gonna watch it closely. And you may be right about vibrating with the motor, reducing the chafe.

B
Dec 3, 2007
Rogers, MN

Looks like it barely does, by the bolt on the bottom side of it. I think that will be less of an issue than the sharp edge of the bulkhead though.

Rob

OnlyPolaris

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
Had a new pro come into the shop just for a normal checkup. Customer had one complaint that the high beam headlight would flicker on and off. We had the one side panel off with the sled running and noticed a faint spark coming from just below where the 2 screws go to hold the hood on. Turns out the wiring harness was rubbing on the belt head there. And who would have guessed that is was the wire for the high beam headlight. Its a good idea to check that wire harness and put some loom on it.

B2

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2010
Sheridan, WY
Had my clutches off today so I inspected my oil lines. No kinks or bubbles but had some bad wear spots from the bulkhead as mentioned, and also two bad wear spots in the convoluted tubing on the oil line from the pump to the PTO bearing...worth talking a good look at that line as well.

R
Mar 2, 2008
Kindred, ND
Had my clutches off today so I inspected my oil lines. No kinks or bubbles but had some bad wear spots from the bulkhead as mentioned, and also two bad wear spots in the convoluted tubing on the oil line from the pump to the PTO bearing...worth talking a good look at that line as well.

Thanks for the info. Will check that too. read a thread on here i believe it was called Pro Crank Grenades.. he "claimed" his buddys pto bearing on his pro went out... could be the culprit.

Premium Features