• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bosch bov issues

T
Dec 1, 2007
Troops
anyone having issues with their bosch bov,s? A buddy & I have identical powderlite turbo,s on 04 rx-1,s. we both upgraded to 2560 from 2554(awesome improvement) anyway as soon as we both cranked up the boost to 15 pounds we blew out the diaphrams in both our bov,s. At 10 pounds both bov,s worked great.It is allmost scary how identical it all occured & allmost at the same time.
I had another new bosch given to me by a good friend & will see if this one holds up any better at higher boost levels.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
did lots of reading on the net and sounds like at around 14/15# the diaphragms just blow out.. under that they last forever.. just get a metal housing ebay one with a 1" inlet tube and slap it in there.. no worrying then.

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Bosch Blow off valves

make sure they are installed properly.
Once you crank up the boost and they are installed wrong it with try to push the diaphram out because backwards install.
Boost should exit out the opposite the vaccum fitting not the side where diaphram will be trying to blow out.
So many guys blame the blowoff valve when it is install!!

T
Dec 1, 2007
All the bov,s were all installed correctly. The intake off the charge tube hit the bottom of the diapghram; not comming in from the side.

P

powderlites

Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous, BC Canada
www.powderlites.com
Blowoff Valve

should have the boost so equal pressure on diaphram so boost into side so blows out opposite the vaccum nipple!!!
Boost higher then diaphram can take it will be trying to rupture out he side.
Turk these blowoff valves never fail if installed properly

L

Linc

Nov 17, 2002
Pemberton
www.visionms.ca
That BOV you have there is more of a recirculating valve than a BOV, it's found on turbo charged Audi's mostly, they work ok, but the real real performance of a BOV is found in the bigger units, the quicker the back pressure is relieved, the less the turbo stacks and and slows down, resulting in less turbo lag. On the Audi's it is dumped back into the intake before the turbo (recirculated ) and is a big part of the tuning on the car.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
The boost goes in the from the bottom ( you have the arrow going out, it should go IN that way) and out off the side.

I think the way powderlites is describing it is how I have it pictured. Hopefully they will be back on here to give a final answer. I am going to dump back into the intake side on my setup. I think it will blow, shake, vibrate, you name it the snow and ice off the prefilter.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
even thought this thread is a hair old.. i was digging around under the hood of my moms 1.8t VW which is one of the applications they run these in from the factory, and its setup identical to the way powderlites shows them.

this is how I will be setting mine up.. and pushing 15+ psi plenty if all goes as planned.

Premium Features