• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bca 30 won't inflate)

WaBackcountry

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Orondo, WA
Just ordered 09-10 BCA 30 from Snowbig and paid deposit for test canister. I can't get pack to inflate. I looked at directions 5 times. Have proper psi, connections look good but I pull cord and nothing. Am I missing something?

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
The BCA pack is notorious for being difficult to pull the handle. If you are 100% sure that everything is hooked up right, then give the handle a BIG pull.

Give us a call on Monday morning and we can go over everthing and answer any questions.

F7arcticcat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Mine was the same, I had to pull really hard. I did a second test after that one and it was much easier.

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Also, when you pull on the handle, be sure you are pulling straight down on the handle rather than out on the handle. ie, pull down so that the cable continues traveling in a straight path down the tube rather than creating additional friction on the cable by pulling it away from your chest.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Pull the handle straight down. Pull it like you're going to pull the pull start on your sled, but just for half an inch. A few people pull lightly and when they meet resistance, they stop pulling. Give it a tug!

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
I know you probably did this, but just checking.
There are 2 threaded connections on the cable pull, did you thread the inner together?

B
Oct 29, 2009
Float30 non deployment

Please give our office in Boulder (800-670-8735) a call to go over any problems with deployment. We're very happy to help with any issues you may have. Most times, its a straightforward situation that we can walk you through over the phone.

B
Oct 29, 2009
Quads, do you speak from having a bad experience with a BCA product?? We have had few issues and many happy customers, and are very willing to help out when customers give us a call.

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
Quads, do you speak from having a bad experience with a BCA product?? We have had few issues and many happy customers, and are very willing to help out when customers give us a call.

I do speak from experience. However, I do agree that BCA has AWESOME customer service and treats their customers well. I think the concept is excellent (an afforadable avy bag) but I also think there are some bugs that need to be worked out with the deploying mechanism. I know the bag is only in its second season and many products go through various revisions and fine tuning....so I do expect the Float 30 performance to improve. However, the common theme I've seen and experienced first hand is that the pull cable is difficult to pull and must be pulled a certain way (which isn't always gonna be the case when you're tumbling down a mountain in an avy and panicking), the handle isn't in a constant position to grasp (its pretty floppy and could prove difficult to grab in a panic situation), and again...the cable is hard to pull and deploy the bag consistently. People rarely are able to pull the handle just once and have it work on the first tug....it usually takes a couple tugs (each tug getting stronger and pulling from different angles) until they find the "sweet spot" and get it to deploy.

Again, I'm not bashing the Float 30.....I'd consider it FEEDBACK and constructive criticism. I applaud BCA for making an avy pack affordable for the people that can't afford the ABS or Snowpulse bags. If you can fine tune the deploying mechanism and maintain the retail price, that would be PERFECT!!

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Jeez, that was tough!!
stewart.swf

Premium Features